DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

SIP: Stargate SG-1

Old 07-21-04, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIP: Stargate SG-1

I hope I'm allowed to post MGM previews here.
(With all them cover sites popping up and each having tons of rules of their own I'm not even trying to stay up to date anymore. I refuse to give into the paranoia)

*cut*

As always constructive remarks, opinions, suggestions, etc are more then welcome.

Last edited by Scaramanga; 07-26-04 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-21-04, 07:00 AM

Witch size are you planning to make these in ?
Any chance they will fit these 6 disc covers from Nierle: http://www.nierle5.com/s01.php?sid=P...pp=aa&bnr=1967
Old 07-21-04, 07:04 AM

That's the exact size I designed em for since that's the kind of cases I'm using for em myself

(Only 6-disc cases that are rather easy to get over here in Europe)
Old 07-21-04, 07:08 AM

I know, just ordered 50 the other day, have SG1 in slim triples at the moment, but just covers for the 2 first seasons ( and not to hot on those)
I have been thinking over what series to move over to the six disc cases, if I'm able to get these when they are finished, that's one worry less.

PS! If you have read Discworld, I'm using the owner of The Luggage as my nick on the other forums.

Last edited by The Luggage; 07-21-04 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-21-04, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by The Luggage
I have been thinking over what series to move over to the six disc cases, if I'm able to get these when they are finished, that's one worry less.
No problem ... you'll get them when they are finished. I also plan in doing a double disc alphapack cover for the original movie.

Spine width is the same so then the design matches the Stargate SG-1 covers perfectly.

Should I keep the color of all the covers the same, or should I use different different gradations of blue ... or completely different colors. Changing the overall background seems rather impossible to me, the event horizon is just blue. But I could change the overblay kind of blue you see for the top, bottom and back panels.

Guess I'll just have to try it out
Old 07-21-04, 08:25 AM

Guess You'll have to do that, not being an artist myself, I try not to comment on WIP's, as I find no use in critizising something I do not have the talent for doing myself.
Unless of course I feel the need to blatantly praise something
( like your Star Wars, or Ric's Trek & B5 covers)
Old 07-21-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 308 Likes on 227 Posts
Nice. Not a fan of the Star Trek - ish font on the front though.
Old 07-21-04, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Nice. Not a fan of the Star Trek - ish font on the front though.
That makes two of us.
Got any suggestions ? Don't want it to be too "times new roman-like" ... but not too sci-fi like either ...
Old 07-21-04, 10:48 PM

Nice and slick, Scara! Very nice layout on the back, too!

Ric
Old 07-22-04, 03:25 AM

Anyone who can tell me which gate adress is on the back ?
Old 07-22-04, 10:47 AM

I can't tell ya, but now you got me curious!
Old 07-22-04, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by JLyon1515
I can't tell ya, but now you got me curious!
// Mr. Burns mode on

Excellent !

// Mr. Burns mode off
Old 07-22-04, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by Scaramanga
Anyone who can tell me which gate adress is on the back ?
Chulak

What do I win?

Great looking cover! Will there be a different glyph on the spine for each season, or will they all have the "point of origin"?

I would say change the tint in some manner, or even the color, for each season, but thatís just me.
Old 07-22-04, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Commander Dan
Chulak

What do I win?
Correct ... you win a one way trip to Lord Yu's dungeons

Great looking cover! Will there be a different glyph on the spine for each season, or will they all have the "point of origin"?
It is my intention to have them all form a gate adress. First cover in the series will be for the Stargate movie, last one for Series 8 from SG-1, unless they make even more seasons (I'm not complaining if they would ...)
But that makes gate adresses rather complicated ... the gate only has 9 chevrons :-S

Basically an 8 symbol adress would do. But I don't know off any 8 symbol adresses except for Othala

First cover would have the point of Origin symbol for Abydos. Second one would start the actual gate adress. Any good sites except for rdanderson.com out there with "real" gate adresses ?

If all else fails I guess I could just go random and take earth for the first one and abydos for the last one ... I'd prefer a real one though :-S

I would say change the tint in some manner, or even the color, for each season, but thatís just me.
Gonna have to do a bit of experimenting with it I guess. Different gradations of the blue would seem the most logical thing to do, although there might be something interesting to do with completely different colours too.
It's almost impossible to change the event horizon background if you ask me ... that being anything but blue would seem weird :-S
Old 07-22-04, 12:53 PM

HEY DAN, YOU DECIDE WHAT GLYPH YOU ARE GOING TO USE ON SEASON 8 FOR YOUR CUSTOM SETS YET?
Old 07-22-04, 01:12 PM

I know this is off-topic, but the weekend of July 30th, I'm going to be meeting up with Don Davis. That weekend is the Twin Peaks Festival, of which I am one of the organizer. I met Don 4 years ago now. He's a really nice guy.
Old 07-22-04, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by JLyon1515
I know this is off-topic, but the weekend of July 30th, I'm going to be meeting up with Don Davis. That weekend is the Twin Peaks Festival, of which I am one of the organizer. I met Don 4 years ago now. He's a really nice guy.
I don't find that very hard to believe
Old 07-24-04, 10:03 AM

So anyone got any ideas what to put on the spine as far as gate symbols go ?
Old 07-24-04, 10:47 AM

Just figured that the Stargate movie needn't necissarily be a part off the gate address at all. After all If I'd include that one, I'd also have to include Atlantis in that same adress if and when it comes to DVD.

Anyways, if that's the way I'm gonna do it, then I'm most probably gonna use the First Earth Gatepoint of origin on the first season cover, then on the next six ones the gate address of earth, and on the last one, season 8, I'll use the Second Earth Gate poing of origin symbol.

Represented on the original movie's spine will be Abydos's point of origin symbol.

After that ... it's Atlantis time

One problem down, 2 more to solve:
1. Me want bigger top notch gate on front
2. Colours ....
Old 07-24-04, 07:23 PM

What are the right dimension for these ?
Having just recieved a whole bunch of these cases, they seem even thinner than Ric's superslim covers ?
Old 07-25-04, 03:51 AM

Well that's because they are actually, they have the exact same spine width as a double alphapak keepcase, being about 2 cm

In pixels the spine is 235. So I'm guessing you do have a double alphapak somewhere, just look at that and you'll have your answer ;-)
Old 07-25-04, 03:52 AM

PS. These are the ones:

http://www.nierle1.com/s01.php?sid=P...pp=aa&bnr=1967
Old 07-25-04, 08:03 AM
Banned

7 seasons? or 8? if 7, then the address to Abydos (with Earth at the end of course) -- the one place that started this all...if 8, track down the show where Oneill used an 8th symbol as an "Area Code", and use that address
Old 07-25-04, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by JupiterPrime
7 seasons? or 8? if 7, then the address to Abydos (with Earth at the end of course) -- the one place that started this all...if 8, track down the show where Oneill used an 8th symbol as an "Area Code", and use that address
Now this is what you get when you skip posts.
Old 07-26-04, 05:07 AM

Okay I think this is about final, top and bottom panel will change gradation of blue or colour, glyph will be as posted above.

Original design
Made for 6-disc cases, spine width is the same as a double width alphapak keepcase.
Cases can easily be acquired at either Nierle.com or CDRohlinge24.de ... needless to say I made em this spine size because alphapak's are so hard to get in Europe ? ;-)

Flat preview

3D Mockup:

A few high res samples:

Only downside is : there's no image formed when combining the spines of all 7 seasons. The event horizon on the background however was made to be continious instead off being the same on each spine. Of course the glyph, character picture and number at the bottom will change ...

Now I can hear some of you saying: what about us R1 folks ? We do have Alphapak keepcases and those are R2 cases for another type of case !

To those people I say: shut up and read ahead ;-)

Alphapak design
Made for the infamous Alphapak 6/7-disc cases.
Both front and back remain unchanged (except for region specific details that is) ... but the spines, when combined, form this:

Opinions are always welcome.

Special notice to anyone who would want the alphapak covers
I'd really appreciate it that when you've got them printed out and ligned up you take a quick snapshot so I can see what they look like in real life.

As stated above I have no easy way to acquire the alphapak cases at a decent price, so I have no way to find out what the combined spine looks like. Anyways, it'd be appreciated ... don't feel obliged at all to do so ;-)

Last edited by Scaramanga; 07-26-04 at 05:09 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.