Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Double Thinpaks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Double Thinpaks?

I apologize in advance if this has come up, but nothing for 'thinpak' or 'double' seemed to come up for me in a search, but here's my question(s):

Do they make thinpaks (such as those in the Firefly box set) that can hold two DVDs. And if not, what it the smallest case available to hold the most DVDs?
Old 05-17-04, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found "single' thin packs sold at my local ""BestBuy"" in losts of 25 for $14.99

And you can order double thin packs from SleeveTown

--David
Old 05-17-04, 03:59 PM

Now what I want to find is some place to purchase different sized [2-10 singles/doublesl seeves to like the one used with "Firefly" that I could add my own graphics to using label stock or photo paper and glue...

--David
Old 05-18-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Double Thinpaks?

Originally posted by reverie
I apologize in advance if this has come up, but nothing for 'thinpak' or 'double' seemed to come up for me in a search, but here's my question(s):

Do they make thinpaks (such as those in the Firefly box set) that can hold two DVDs. And if not, what it the smallest case available to hold the most DVDs?
Yes they do make exactly what you want. Try the HTF, there is a long thread on slim cases and your answer is there.
Old 05-19-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you! And thanks DEC29111 for the great site at Sleevetown! I'll definitely be getting a few things from there for my records and DVDs.
Old 05-22-04, 09:02 AM

Sleeves?

OK I really like the idea of the 'Thin Pack' DVD cases and would like to convert many multi packs into these cases...
[which I can do with out much trouble by resizing in Photoshop]

But what I then would like to do is to make sleeves to hold groups of these discs together and would like suggestions on how to make these sleeves... so that they could be printed out on white index card stock, cut out and glued/double sided taped together..

So here is idea:#1 :
Using two sheets of stock:
[a] using one sheet of stock for front and back of sleeve.:
lay out a square equal to the size of the thin pak case + the thickness of the stock you will be using for your box [this extra will be loss when you fold the stock four your tape tabs} + 1/2" on the top, back, and bottom sides of the square. cut a 1/2" square out of the tow corners where the top and bottom meet the back and then fold 1/2" in and add 1/2" double sided tape or glue to this extra area.
[b] {the tricky part] on your second sheet of stock, is the top, bottom, and the spine of the box can change due to the number of thin packs that are going to be used (17/64" {6.75mm} X number of cases to be stored in case) + two times the thickness of the paper stock you are using.... you will end up making two "L" shaped pieces.. one for the top and spine and one for the bottom and spine. you will over lap the spine so that it is double thick.. {this gives your box strength}

Are my thoughts scrambled here?

Or do you follow the idea?

I have done with with standard box cardboard and it worked.. but I forgot to added the thickness of the cardboard times two to the spine/top...

Maybe somebody here could do a better job and even make a spine template for this project using a standard 8 1/2" X 11" "Office Max / Depot" paper stock?

--David
Old 05-23-04, 06:59 AM

Get them at TapeandMedia.com, it's cheaper than SleeveTown. Shipping is also a lot cheaper.

My latest order from them:

PRODUCT: AMII-PAGE-BLK
DESCRIPTION: NexCase "Page Insert" Black Snap-In Disc Tray -
QUANTITY: 30 PRICE: $0.17 AMOUNT: $5.10

PRODUCT: 2USD3-CLR
DESCRIPTION: NexPak THINpak™ Double DVD Packaging - Clear -
QUANTITY: 26 PRICE: $0.52 AMOUNT: $13.52

UPS Standard shipping was $6.10
Old 05-23-04, 02:24 PM

Using two sheets of "Wausau" Super-Heavyweight Index Card Stock, 8 1/2" x 11", 110 Lb., White I have created a basic "5" thin pack box/sleeve.

I used "Scotch" Permanent 1/2" double sided tape to hold things together.

My template can be view at:

Front Side
Back Side
Old 05-27-04, 08:10 AM
Banned

I use www.sleevetown.com for all my case purchases and have been very happy with the price and promptness of delivery - I have gotten standard single size cases along with Thinpak singles and thinkpak doubles - they are based out of Tennessee and my usual orders of 10 cases of varying size along with another 10 of think singles or doubles or add-a-pages usually winds up being right around $20USD delivered within 2-3 days to NY
Old 05-27-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought mine from U.S. Plastics--not bad as far as price goes, and they're really nice to work with.

robyn
Old 08-04-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do they come in black?

Yes, they do. But I can't find them anywhere.

The only double THINpaks I can find are clear.
Old 08-04-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've never seen anything but clear doubles. It actually works for me, because I've converted my collection to clear thinpaks. That way, you can put the artwork in the case, and put the insert to the inside of the case's outer sleeve thingy, and you can see the insert through the plastic.

r
Old 08-04-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got about a dozen from an ebay deal. On the outside they look exactly the same as THINpaks, but inside the hub is different.

It's similar to

this disc holder design, except the hub doesn't have a pop button that moves.

I like the black ones better. I also prefer the black singles for my home brew discs, mostly because I'm not talented enough to do two-sided covers.
Old 08-10-04, 11:51 AM

Re: Do they come in black?

Originally posted by Wizdar
Yes, they do. But I can't find them anywhere.

The only double THINpaks I can find are clear.

These might be what you're looking for. These are double thinboxes. I bought mine from genesysdtp.com. They also have single thinboxes which are similar to the case you posted. Same dimensions & clips, just a different style hub.

I like the dbl thinboxes better than dbl thinpaks because the hub isn't as hard to put a dvd in, it comes in black, and it's about $0.20 cheaper than dbl thinpaks. For singles, I prefer clear thinboxes for similar reasons.

Since I don't print out covers for cases, I prefer the black cases for doubles so that I don't have to see the bottom of a dvd. I label neon index cards of various colors and insert them in the front cover so that I know what's in the case. They look great against a black background and if I want, I can use the color code to define what kind of dvd is in it.
Old 08-10-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ahh! So, it's a thinbox.

Yep, that's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Cute, the single black thinbox "may or may not have clips inside." Order with confidence.