Dinosaur CE and Buena Vista Recall/ReAuthoring

Community
Search

Dinosaur CE and Buena Vista Recall/ReAuthoring

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-01, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinosaur Standard Edition Results

It does not play correctly on my Sony 7700, but this is one of the original units shipped for this model, and it has never had a firmware update. When I selected PLAY from the main menu the player locked up. If I select Chapter 1 from the chapter selection menu it seems to work OK.

Playback is not working on my Toshiba 6109 player as well. Playback was spotty, sometimes the disc would not play at all, other times it would at least get to the main menu, but from there not much worked.

Playback is fine on my Pioneer V7400 player.

Playback is fine on my Proscan (DIVX) player.

Playback seems fine on a Windows 2000 system running PowerDVD.

Playback seems fine on a Windows NT 4.0 system running WinDVD

Playback seems fine on a Pioneer PDV-LC10 system.

Playback does not work correctly on a Dell Windows 98 system with Cinemaster 99. Pressing the Play button on the Main Menu takes you to the Coming Soon section of the disc.

This disc obviously has some problems in authoring. I find it amazing that this number of problems occurs on so many players for a DVD title released by a major studio.

------------------
Ralph LaBarge
AlphaDVD
[email protected]

Old 02-05-01, 11:01 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dani-wan:
Yeah, if anyone has tried this disc on a toshiba 2200, I'd really like to know how well it's working. Thanx.
<HR>

I have the 2200 and I noticed that it took unusually long to navigate the menu. Loading time seem unusually long as well. Fortunately the movie played flawlessly with no skips or pauses. I have the CE version btw.
Old 02-05-01, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FWIW, I got it to load on a Toshiba 2109, but it did take a long time to do so. Watched 15 mins or so, and its a wicked picture. Have to wonder though if the rush to get flicks to the DVD market is really beginning to quash any kind of QC...shame on Disney...

Interesting its runs on some models, but not others of the same manufacturer..
Old 02-05-01, 12:30 PM

Thespian68, how did you manage to get the disk to work on your SD2109? I have the same model, and I get the flashing "Loading" that Imp66 got on his 3109.
Old 02-05-01, 12:51 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jago:
I have the 2200 and I noticed that it took unusually long to navigate the menu. Loading time seem unusually long as well. Fortunately the movie played flawlessly with no skips or pauses. I have the CE version btw.
<HR>

I have the 2200 also and it plays(CE version) but it also take a long time for the menus to load(over a minute) I 've only watched the trailers and the movie so far but they played fine.

------------------
I am not a number. I am a Free Man!
Old 02-05-01, 02:00 PM

I called Buena Vista Home Entertainment this morning and they said that at this time, no recall/re authoring information has been made available but they are having anyone with problems send them the DVDs for refunds. She also said that shipping would be reimbursed. I guess this is good news, but I'd rather have a copy of Dinosaur CE that worked.

I have a JVC XV-501BK.

The number for BVHE is 18007234763

Hope this helps some people out.
Old 02-05-01, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, I have a sony dvp s300, and it plays the whole thing, but there are sections periodically that act like really long layer changes. Tried it in my panasonic palm theater L-50(the most touchy player I have), and it worked with little or no problems. I was amazed. So, I don't know what's up with this.

So far, the problems are not bad enough to warrant my trying to get it replaced.

r
Old 02-05-01, 03:51 PM

This is partially true. I just spoke to the
Disney Consumer rep and was told that they
will do the refund it you do not wish to
wait for their findings on the problem with
the disc.

According to her, the design engineers are
working crazily to find out why so many
players are having problems with this disc
(and only disc 1).

After that, they will decide on the course of
action.
Old 02-05-01, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All I know is that the movie disc won't get past the first 5 seconds on my laptop's Toshiba DVD-ROM.
Old 02-05-01, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Played movie good on Toshiba SD2109 but the second disc had roughly 40 second pause after you watched every bonus feature.
Old 02-05-01, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Something else I just noticed is that, not only does it freeze up on any chapter change, but it will also freeze at the points where you can go 'behind the scenes' while playing the film. Kinda like the Matrix problems? Not sure, since the Matrix doesn't give me any grief. I found this when I'd try to toggle back and forth between chapters when it froze up and it just dumped me into the beind the scenes section for that chapter.
Old 02-05-01, 04:42 PM
Cool New Member

I have a Toshiba 3109 with very early rom version 1.121 -R1 Current version is 3.0. Player never gets passed "Loading". Disk 2 works "ok" but lots of delay between menus. Called Toshiba and they are also working on the problem. They said we should have some answers in about 2 weeks.
Old 02-05-01, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by kelklein:
Thespian68, how did you manage to get the disk to work on your SD2109? I have the same model, and I get the flashing "Loading" that Imp66 got on his 3109.
<HR>

Prayer.

Old 02-05-01, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I am running it on the Toshiba 2300, and I am not having any problems with the disk. It takes like a few seconds longer than I would expect in the menu system but nothing longer than 15 seconds. Nowhere NEAR a minute in length.
Old 02-05-01, 05:35 PM

Just got off the phone with "Buena Vista Home Video" and they are currently only able to offer a refund of your purchase price of the "Disney Dinosaur" DVD (+ return shipping)

If this is the route that you want to take send the DVD and a copy of your sales ticket to:

Buena Vista Home Video
Customer. Returns
Att: Dinosaur Collectors Edition
111 East Wisconsin Ave
3rd Floor.
Neenah, Wi 54956

I was not told on how long it would take to receive the refund through Buena Vista Home Video.
Maybe your local dealer will allow you to exchange it?
I purchased mine through Amazon.Com and I am waiting on a reply from them on the 'refund turn around time', before I send my copy off.
Old 02-05-01, 08:21 PM

I need more report on -
Dinosaur CE + PowerDVD 3.0

Just make sure I'm not alone !
Old 02-05-01, 08:30 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Works fine on a Mac using AppleDVD 1.3 or higher...
Old 02-05-01, 08:46 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jkzahn:
I have a Sony (5000, I think) and it plays perfectly....except for some pretty poor skipping and freezing in Chapter 19.
<HR>

I have the same problem with my Sony DVP-S500D...near the beginning of chapter 19. Also, a similar problem early in chapter 5, but not nearly as bad.

Old 02-06-01, 08:08 AM

Hmm, the 2 Disc Set of Dinosaur seemed to work fine on my PC (Matshita SR8583, Sigma Designs 8300 card, Win98), had no problems with chapters either. I haven't tested the 2nd disc yet, and I'm also going to test it with ATI DVD Player and on my Creative 1241E DVD-ROM.

But The Kid didn't play properly (I have tested on both my DVD-ROMs and on my friend's), it freezes at about 54 minutes and starts jumping from one chapter to another. With a software player (ATI w/ Cinemaster 1.0.2.8) the disc won't even start.
Old 02-06-01, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Mine plays fine but the ff does not work. Oh well.

------------------
Michael
Sega.Net bigdaddymh
Your the man now dawg!
I'm Fresh Like A Can of Picante
The 8th Warrior of the Other Forum

Wow look at all those DVD's
And those are cool CD's
Do not click me.
Old 02-06-01, 05:54 PM

Just received my replacement copy of "Dinasaur" from buy.com. As I feared, the replacement has all of the same problems as the first copy I received. At buy.com's suggestion, I called Disney (800-723-4763) and spoke with CSR "Betty." Betty said that they are aware of the problem, but DO NOT HAVE A RESOLUTION at this time. She did not know that the problem was as wide-spread as it is. She suggested that this time I return the DVD to them for a full refund, including shipping, and Disney will notify me when they do have a resolution.
Old 02-06-01, 10:17 PM

Are all these problems with Dinosaur-Disc 1, allocated to the 2 Disc CE version? Or are they on the standard release as well? Thanks.

WayneM
Old 02-06-01, 10:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Why are all these flaws this apparent? The loading time is insane, but other than that no real problems. Are all these problems due to the lack of space or the way the disc was initially mastered, or what?
Old 02-06-01, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by WayneM:
Are all these problems with Dinosaur-Disc 1, allocated to the 2 Disc CE version? Or are they on the standard release as well? Thanks.

WayneM
<HR>

I read in a different thread that both the 1 & 2 disc editions have problems with the loading time.
Old 02-06-01, 11:46 PM

A little history for you Yamaha owners:

I bought the C900 (the black finish) before the Matrix came out. That was my first and only problem disc. I contacted Yamaha. Yamaha told me to get the firmware upgraded. So, I drove from Los Angeles to Long Beach to their authorized service center (there are only a few of them in the country so I was lucky on the distance), had the upgrade done while I waited, warranty handled the cost. Now, neither disc of the 2-disc Dinosaur will load. Actually turns my player off for a few seconds. Pretty cool if it was supposed to do that. So, add the Yamaha C900 to the list. I'll be contacting Yamaha in the morning.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.