Reload this Page >

Fahrenheit 9/11 DVD not until 2005?

Old 07-25-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had read that it was coming out on Oct. 5 but then I saw this:

"Moore said he had hoped to have "Fahrenheit 9/11" out on DVD before the November election, but that the film could continue to play in theaters through year's end and into 2005. "So I don't know really what that means now in terms of the DVD," Moore said."
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...429EDT0023.DTL

(Let's keep this free of threadcraps)
Old 07-25-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Fahrenheit 9/11 DVD not until 2005?

Well the thread is gone so I might as well say something else. I think a 2005 dvd release would probably hurt its sales. I mean whomever the president is in 2005 the movie is not gonna matter anymore.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 07-25-04 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-25-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well it would be an interesting move. I mean if it is still very successful in theaters it could have a very very nice theater run bringing in way more. Add a rush campaign near election time and you will get a great deal of people going back to the theaters to see this. I have talked to many folks who have never even seen a documentary or even dreamed to see one in a theater see this film because of it's media hype. If you add that near election time you can get very nice box office sales.

So perhaps throwing it on home video just yet isn't the best idea. But the only problem is.. in 2005, will people care to buy this on dvd? The president will most likely be different because of the film and folks will not want to bother buying it unless motivated to do so with a pre-november dvd release.
Old 07-25-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Lost In Translation" continued to do well in the theaters when it was released on DVD.
Old 07-25-04, 07:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
So perhaps throwing it on home video just yet isn't the best idea. But the only problem is.. in 2005, will people care to buy this on dvd? The president will most likely be different because of the film and folks will not want to bother buying it unless motivated to do so with a pre-november dvd release.

If the President remains the same, then it could do very well with it's primary market when it goes to DVD... even if that happens to be a couple of years down the road. If Kerry wins, then I agree it may see weaker sales though.
Old 07-25-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
If the president remains the same, then yes, the market will still be there and those not pleased with the current leadership will just have another way to vent out by buying it.

Either way, this will get good theater box office numbers come closer to election, it's all up to moore on which way he wants to go with it. Milk it in theaters a little more or go for Home Video.
Old 07-25-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If it stays with the October 5 date. that means it has another 12 weeks or so in the theaters before the DVD hits the streets. At that point, the financial edge would be with a DVD release - it would be a huge seller for the next 4 weeks at least.
Old 07-25-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Loews have an exclusive deal to show Fahrenheit 911...

Loews is owned by the Carlisle Group...

The DVD release is now being held up until the elections are over...

HMMM!!!!!!

Of course, I'm sure that little nugget has nothing to do with the DVD release, but I figured I'd dispel it before someone used that info as shoddy basis for a conspiracy theory...

I'm sure the DVD will be out in time. The movie's diminishing at the Box Office. It'll play through November in select theaters but its initial run will be over very soon.
Old 07-25-04, 08:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Of course, I'm sure that little nugget has nothing to do with the DVD release, but I figured I'd dispel it before someone used that info as shoddy basis for a conspiracy theory...
If there is any conspiracy based around that I think it means it ensures the DVD will be out before Nov. After the Carlisle Group will need the extra income to dump into Bush's reelection campaign
Old 07-25-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would rather wait until after elections so he can add more about it on the DVD. I would rather have more than less.
Old 07-25-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
If Moore and Miramax are politically thinking at all, they'll release it 1-2 weeks before the election and hype the hell out of it. I'm sure that with all the $$$ the movie's already made, waiting for a more opportune time money wise is not at the top of their priorities. Removing a president they don't like is.
Old 07-26-04, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree about releasing the movie two weeks before the elections and hyping it like a motha. They should also show the movie on NBC or another public broadcast the day before the election with added footage and then only announcing this two days before the election. That would be excellent.
Old 07-26-04, 03:53 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Kinda curious on this one. I saw it and do not see any repeat value at all. I can see the political folks wanting to promote it to those who haven't seen it, but is there really much of a market for the movie itself?
Old 07-26-04, 07:36 AM

Tempted to crap but will not.

I think they're waiting till Oscar time.

Tempted to crap but will not.

Cheers
Old 07-26-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Cow
Kinda curious on this one. I saw it and do not see any repeat value at all. I can see the political folks wanting to promote it to those who haven't seen it, but is there really much of a market for the movie itself?
I think that before the election, there would be people buying it as a form of protest against Bush (not saying it's a *good* one), sort of showing a "Look how much this title is selling!" type of thing.

Me, personally, I agree with you; unless the disc had something great, I'd likely skip it.
Old 07-26-04, 08:25 AM

Loews is not owned by the Carlyle Group, it is owned by Onex Corp. (Canada).

The film will make more money on home video in the fall than it will in the theaters. Video will introduce it to an entire new audience and expand its reach, including its political impact.

Also, since a studio other than the one that released it theatrically just made a deal to release the video, they will want to make the maximum amount of money possible, so I see the Oct. 5 date standing firm.

The movie will be on DVD Oct. 5.
Old 07-26-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think in the case of "Fahrenheit", a DVD release will just be another saturation of the movie. IFC has already shown it and Moore encourages people to download it, so it seems like, other than extras and being able to tie up the DVD with election results, it will probably seee the original Oct 5th release date.
Old 07-26-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
IFC has shown it on cable?
Old 07-26-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by DrOBoogie1
Loews is not owned by the Carlyle Group, it is owned by Onex Corp. (Canada).
Furthermore, if Loews has an exclusive contract to show the film, someone really ought to notify all the AMC, Hoyts, Showcase, and independant theaters around here that are currently playing it.
Old 07-26-04, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Peep
"Lost In Translation" continued to do well in the theaters when it was released on DVD.
Excellent point.
Old 07-26-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm pretty confident the DVD will be released sometime in October.
Old 07-26-04, 10:40 AM

er

I believe that due to election laws (McCain-Feingold) this film would not be able to be advertised (DVD or Theater) after a certain date due to it's one-sided approach. I believe that I heard that somewhere.
Old 07-26-04, 10:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by SMB-IL
IFC has already shown it
Uh, no.
Old 07-26-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
Re: er

Originally posted by Mistafadedglory
I believe that due to election laws (McCain-Feingold) this film would not be able to be advertised (DVD or Theater) after a certain date due to it's one-sided approach. I believe that I heard that somewhere.
I think they would just have to be careful with how they advertise it (not showing Bush or Kerry). I've heard that some of the films advertising has already been aired this way: no mention of Bush, all the focus on the war.
Old 07-26-04, 02:06 PM

Re: er

Originally posted by Mistafadedglory
The McCain-Feingold law on campaign finance reform is not the issue; it has nothing to do with this.

The issue is whether ads for the film can be seen as political interest ads or whether they're just ads for a film. That matter will have to be decided, but not before both sides have their lawyers present their cases to the proper regulatory board.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.