Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

DVD's with different cuts/versions of the movie?

Old 07-21-04, 10:23 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wicker Man box.
Old 07-21-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
butterfly effect has both the theatrical and directors cut.
Old 07-21-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since I threw out American Wedding, I'll try to redeem some of my credibility by mentioning that Criterion's The Lower Depths contains Renoir's 1936 version of the film in addition to Kurosawa's 1957 version of the movie.
Old 07-21-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
Badder Santa doesn't have both cuts of the film, only the unrated one.

Rocky Horror Picture Show has at least two different versions on it.
Old 07-21-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There's Something More About Mary - Includes original theatrical release and extended version with 15 minutes of never-before-seen restored footage.
Old 07-21-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by majorjoe23
Rocky Horror Picture Show has at least two different versions on it.
Correct - Rocky Horror also contains the "Superheros" version of the film originally unavailable as an American release.

Doesn't Suicide Kings have multiple versions on it too?

Also this may not count specifically, but Clue has the 3 different endind and the "home video release ending where all 3 are cobbled together into one. On the DVD you can choose an ending or let the ending be randomly selected. Kinda fun.

Last edited by rfduncan; 07-21-04 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-21-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rfduncan
Correct - Rocky Horror also contains the "Superheros" version of the film originally unavailable as an American release.
Also, there's the hidden cut that has the film in black and white until Frankenfurter appears.
Old 07-21-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Criterion's The Lower Depths contains Renoir's 1936 version of the film in addition to Kurosawa's 1957 version of the movie.
If we're stretching the question to include multiple movies (as opposed to multiple versions of single movies, which is, I believe, the question which was intended), the 'Scarface' deluxe gift set has both the original version (not available any other way) and the 1980s version.

Though of another legitimate one: 'Dracula'. Both the initial release and the recent "Monster Legacy Collection" have had both the English *and* Spanish versions of the movie. (Apparently, there is legitimate difference between the two, it's not just the language, they actually shot different takes.)

So, so far, the winners are 'Dawn of the Dead', 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day' (Ultimate edition), and 'Rocky Horror Picture Show', all with three cuts apiece? [And one of those 'Rocky's isn't actually any different, cut wise, just lacks color for a while.]

Come on, guys, there's just *gotta* be a movie with four or more cuts out there ... there's just gotta! [I know Gilliam said there have been a total of five cuts of Brazil, for instance, but only two are available.]

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 07-21-04 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-21-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
If we're stretching the question to include multiple movies (as opposed to multiple versions of single movies, which is, I believe, the question which was intended), the 'Scarface' deluxe gift set has both the original version (not available any other way) and the 1980s version.

Though of another legitimate one: 'Dracula'. Both the initial release and the recent "Monster Legacy Collection" have had both the English *and* Spanish versions of the movie. (Apparently, there is legitimate difference between the two, it's not just the language, they actually shot different takes.)
Actually, the Dracula example is not a lot more legitimate than the Scarface example. With Dracula, they used different casts and a different director. What the have in common is the same script (though translated into Spanish for the Spanish version), the same set, and filmed at the same time.

But I wouldn't characterize this as a "different cut" of the same movie. Different versions, I guess, but not different cut...
Old 07-21-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by rfduncan
Doesn't Suicide Kings have multiple versions on it too?
It has two alternate endings but thats it. You can't view the alternate endings in the movie, they have to be viewed in the special features.
Old 07-21-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Walter Neff
Actually, the Dracula example is not a lot more legitimate than the Scarface example. With Dracula, they used different casts and a different director. What the have in common is the same script (though translated into Spanish for the Spanish version), the same set, and filmed at the same time.

But I wouldn't characterize this as a "different cut" of the same movie. Different versions, I guess, but not different cut...
Well, the English language Dracula also features an alternate score that contains a scream not included in the non-scored cut.

That's really streching it though.
Old 07-21-04, 10:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
In the Mondo Cane Box Set you get:

- US version of Mondo Cane/ Director's cut of Mondo Cane
- US Version of 'Africa: Blood and Guts'/Director's Cut 'Addio Afrika' (alternate Italina language title)
- US version of 'Goodbye Uncle Tom/'Director's cut 'Addio Zio Tom" (alternate Italian language title).
Old 07-21-04, 11:29 PM

On an interesting note, I believe the Widescreen version of Porkys has less male nudity than the fullscreen version does. Therefore, you could say that the widescreen version is of a different cut.
Old 07-22-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Peckinpah's The Osterman Weekend contains the director's "rough cut" on a second disc.
Old 07-22-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beauty and the Beast (Disney Special Platinum Edition) has 3 different cuts of the film:

-Special Edition
-Original Theatrical Edition
-Work In Progress Edition

The Heavy Metal disc has the theatrical version & a full length rough cut.

The Lion King - Platinum Edition has:
- 89 Minute Original Theatrical Version
- 90 Minute Extended Special Edition Version

The Big Sleep has:
- 116 min. 1944 pre-release version
- 114 min. 1946 theatrical version (some scenes redone)

Strangers on a Train has:
- 101 Minute U.S. Theatrical Version
- 103 Minute Extended British Pre-release Version

Kino's The Blue Angel has:
- 106 min. German version
- 94 min. English version (same director & cast)

Milestone's The Phantom of the Opera (1925) has:
- 110 Minute Original Version w/ Jon Mirsalis Score
- 98 Minute 1929 Restored Version

Criterion's Carnival of Souls (1962) has:
- 78 Minute U.S. Theatrical Version
- 84 Minute Director's Cut

Dark Star - Special Edition has:
- 68 Minute Director's Cut
- 83 Minute Theatrical release
Old 07-22-04, 09:29 AM

Re: DVD's with different cuts/versions of the movie?

Originally posted by NavinJohnson

The Heavy Metal disc has the theatrical version & a full length rough cut.

well if you go that route, there's full-length rough cut pencil sketched versions of:

'Kiki's Delivery Service'
'Porco Rosso'
'Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind'
'Princess Mononoke'
'My Neighbor Totoro'
'Spirited Away'

on the Region 2 Japanese editions of the films.

Question is this option presented on the Region 1 editions of 'Kiki' and 'Castle in the Sky'?

Last edited by Giles; 07-22-04 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-22-04, 09:34 AM

supposedly the DVD edition of the director's cut of Cinema Paradiso has both the extended and original US theatrical cut of the film.
Old 07-22-04, 09:40 AM

Since we are talking about directors cuts of movies, is it frustrating when a directors cut is the only version available on DVD? What comes to mind is The Last Of The Mohicans. My personal opinion is the dirctors cut is absolutely horrid and I am shocked that Michael Mann would consider the DVD the preffered cut of the movie. The DVD has some of the great music completely taken out, and the sound is nowhere close to the Laserdisc. I will be hanging on to my laserdisc, and have already sold the worthless DVD.
Old 07-22-04, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by groundhog
Since we are talking about directors cuts of movies, is it frustrating when a directors cut is the only version available on DVD? What comes to mind is The Last Of The Mohicans. My personal opinion is the dirctors cut is absolutely horrid and I am shocked that Michael Mann would consider the DVD the preffered cut of the movie. The DVD has some of the great music completely taken out, and the sound is nowhere close to the Laserdisc. I will be hanging on to my laserdisc, and have already sold the worthless DVD.
and not to go too much off tangent here, but Mann even cut out some extreme gore at the film's conclusion that makes one of the character's demise less effective and satisfying to viewers.
Old 07-22-04, 10:19 AM

I totally agree about cutting the gore out. I would love to own a DVD of the movie I saw in theatres. I didn't mean to start a tanget hear, but it is frustrating when you can't at least own the movie the way it was presented. All that said, there are some directors cuts I enjoy more than the original versions, I just like having the option.

Just to contribute to the thread......some directors cuts that I enjoy....

Dances With Wolves
Tombstone
JFK
Das Boot
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
Old 07-22-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Darling Clementine has two versions also. The second side of the disc has the pre-release version before the studio stepped in with their changes.