Disappointing year for DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-04, 07:18 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Disappointing year for DVDs?

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Very disappointing year for DVDs.
Very disappointing I guess. Well, aside from Quantum Leap, Land of the Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Wonder Woman, The A Team, Knight Rider, The Dukes of Hazard, HR Pufnstuf, The Good Bad and Ugly, Blazing Saddles, Gilligan's Island, the Transformers, GI Goe, Jem, The Flintstones, Loony Toons, the Old School Star Trek, The Critic, the Disney Treasures. . . .

Oh, and Star wars.

Yeah, a very dissapointing year indeed.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 07-11-04 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-11-04, 08:17 PM

I find it a bit disappointint too, but for different reasons than most it would seem. While there are notable exceptions, Star Wars for example, as well as some other big movie releases, it seems most of the hype is about TV sets. I'm happy for all of you who enjoy them so much, but I personally have absolutely no use for them. If I turn on a TV show I want to watch, and it's a repeat, I change the channel. I'm definately not going to pay to watch them. Besides, I built a home MOVIE theater in my basement, not a big-ass TV. Just my opinion.
Old 07-11-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by asperdank
I find it a bit disappointint too, but for different reasons than most it would seem. While there are notable exceptions, Star Wars for example, as well as some other big movie releases, it seems most of the hype is about TV sets. I'm happy for all of you who enjoy them so much, but I personally have absolutely no use for them. If I turn on a TV show I want to watch, and it's a repeat, I change the channel. I'm definately not going to pay to watch them. Besides, I built a home MOVIE theater in my basement, not a big-ass TV. Just my opinion.
You said it. I have many more movies that TV shows. I love some of my TV shows (ST, Smallville, JL, I love Lucy...), but movies are what I watch over and over again.

Just think of the past years, how many good movies can out on DVD that were released in the Theater that same year. Then, there were all the past classics that came to DVD. I know there are allot of DVD titles we can name, but there is not the shear amount we used to have per year.

DVDs I am looking forward to buy:
1. JL Starcross
2. Star Wars
3. Spider Man 2
4. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King EE
5. The Passion of the Christ
6. Smallville Season 3 (I am not sure of release date)

DVD that I might purchase:
1. Hellboy
2. Batman (1st 28 eps, I already have 2 0r 3 DVDs with about 15 shows total. I hate to pay for something I already have)
3. Monk 1st Season (Never saw it on TV)
4. Dead Zone 1st Season (Never saw it on TV)

Not that many for the next 5 1/2 months
Old 07-12-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EVERY year is a great DVD year for Heaven's sake. Each year some of the previously unreleased gems we love both wonderful and awful find their way to disc, and all the new blockbusters of the year make their way there as well. Add in the increase in TV on DVD titles, throw in Star Wars and Schindler's List and you have one more GREAT DVD year. Plus the prices are dropping all the time. There is no such thing as a bad year for the medium.
Old 07-12-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by drjay

Star Wars (who cares if it's screwed around, we're all gonna buy it)
Not to spoil anything, but am I the only person who refuses to pick these up since Lucas won't quit fiddling around with them. I already own them twice over on VHS (original and SE), but just can't bring myself to keep supporting the abomination of something I love.

Anyway, I was just wondering, not trying to threadjack or anything, because it seems despite the fans moaning that everyone is going to line up like schmucks to tell Lucas that no matter what, they'll support him.

[By the way, this all came out more aggitated than expected. I do respect if some of you want to buy them, it just seems the fans are being so compliant about it. I really am not trying to insult anyone]
Old 07-12-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jrsl76
.... am I the only person who refuses to pick these up since Lucas won't quit fiddling around with them.
as much as I want to refuse...I'll be caving in. I cant resist. I just think that the original versions should be offered on dvd...period. Lucas has no worries...I'll happily buy them all.
Old 07-12-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by jrsl76
... am I the only person who refuses to pick these up since Lucas won't quit fiddling around with them. I already own them twice over on VHS (original and SE), but just can't bring myself to keep supporting the abomination of something I love.
I doubt that I will be buying the SE discs. I already have them on VCD (official Lucas release) and on DVD (5-Star). So unless the quality is noticeably better, I'll wait.
Old 07-12-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
It's been a great yr for me. Here's what's on my 'to-buy' list for the second half of the yr:

(anounced titles)
Futurama v4
SW Trilogy
Looney Tunes 2
ROTK:EE
Predator SE
Goofellas SE
Iron Giant SE
Top Gun SE
Aladdin
Mulan SE
Hellboy DC