DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Disappointing year for DVDs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/373971-disappointing-year-dvds.html)

TomOpus 07-09-04 05:10 PM

Not counting the great upcoming releases... so far, for me, it's been a pretty damn good year. Out of 117 purchases made since Jan 1st, my highlights include:

Simpsons S4
Lost in Space S1
Friends S6 & S7
Bubba Ho-Tep
Disney Treasures
Monster Legacy Set
Kill Bill Vol1
Schindler's List
Dawn of the Dead (DiviMax)
Panic Room 3-disc
Ed Wood
(well, for some :D)

Mountain Biker 07-09-04 05:18 PM

Freaks and Geeks LE Yearbook
Dawn of the Dead: Ultimate Edition
Star Wars Trilogy
Monster Legacy Giftset
Friday the 13th SE Boxset
Robocop Trilogy
The Lost Boys SE
Goodfellas SE
Disney Treasures
Star Trek: TOS
Terror Train
Happy Birthday to Me
Speed Racer Vol 2 LE
Cheerleader Camp
Night of the Demons
Lord of the Rings: EE
Knight Rider Season 1
Dawson's Creek Season 3
The Dukes of Hazard Season 1
The Running Man SE
Raw Deal
Summer School
Spiderman '67
The A-Team

...and the list goes on and on. This has been a banner year for dvds, IMO

cfloyd3 07-09-04 05:30 PM

Freaks is coming. Great year for DVD.

SideShow 07-09-04 05:54 PM

I agree, excellent year. Looking at the WB Film Noir collection and everything else people have mentioned- and much much more.
Maybe it's dissapointing if you hate movies, otherwise I don't see why you'd say that.

I'm not expecting a Casablanca every week- that's just being spoiled, especially when you take into account how much goes into restoring films of that age and older.

Also, ask Orson Welles estate where Magnificent Ambersons is, as it is we were really lucky to get Citizen Kane on DVD.

FuzzyBallz 07-09-04 06:04 PM

Well... I am getting ROTK EE so it's a good year for me. I bought a few others, but I can never remember what I purchased after the fact.

Hammer99 07-09-04 07:40 PM

My bank account is disappointed from all the $$$ I'm spending on DVDs.:banana:

Very rarely does a week go by that I don't drop at least $100.

RichDB10 07-10-04 08:42 AM

Originally posted by marty888
The Merchant-Ivory titles, all those great Criterions, the Marx Brothers movies, the Universal Franchise Collections (Abbott & Costello, etc.), the Universal Monsters releases, the Film Noir box sets, another 5 Chaplin DVDs, classic musicals such as <i>Meet Me In St Louis, Ziegfeld Girl, In The Good Old Summertime</i>, the four new Disney tins, the Cary Grant Signature collection, the SE's of <i>The Good, The Bad and the Ugly ... The Great Escape ...Trainspotting</i> .... <i>Cocoon, Flight of the Navigator</i> ... etc. etc.

Sorry, I find it difficult to classify all this as part of a "disappointing year"!

Amen to that!!....and with Battle Of Algiers, Dawn Of The Dead UE,Alan Clarke Boxset, Cassevetes Boxset,Looney Tunes Golden Collection 2... doesn't look like getting any better does it?! :)

Quake1028 07-10-04 08:54 AM

This has actually been one of the best years I can remember. The greatest dvd of all-time to this point was released this year, so how can it not be?

Iron_Giant 07-10-04 11:59 AM

This year has saved me lots of money. There have been very few most have DVDs for me:
1. S. List
2. RotK
3. Star Wars
4. Loonely Tunes

I have bought many other DVDs, but they are not the ones I will watch over and over again.

You have to admit, this year (beside SW) does not have the quality of years past.

AmericanExpress bill is looking much better over the past few months.

DVDho78DTS 07-10-04 12:06 PM

I'm not sure I'd call it a disappointing year for DVDs in general but it has been a disappointing year for myself. There just hasn't been as many releases that I've been excited for this year so far. My excitement level with DVDs is probably at the lowest it has ever been. I expect or at least hope it picks up during the last quarter. :)

Masamune 07-10-04 12:26 PM

For me?

Still to come:

Seinfeld
ROTK: EE
Star Wars
Matrix Trilogy Set (even tho I hated Revolutions)
Kill Bill Vol. 2

rexinnih 07-10-04 01:48 PM

I've been very satisfied with what's coming/come out this year.
I acutally have been buying less but that's due a lot to moving this year and not as much disposable income.

matome 07-10-04 05:26 PM

I got my uncut Kill Bill Limited Box from Japan. This year was great!

jough 07-10-04 06:49 PM

It's funny, because I was just thinking earlier today that this has been one of the BEST years for DVD:

Even if you just counted the Criterion collection:
Ikiru
Rules of the Game
The Lower Depths
The Leopard
Slacker
Battle of Algiers
Videodrome
A Woman is a Woman
Story of Floating Weeds
Diary of a Country Priest
Scenes from a Marriage

Plus these other great releases:
Simpsons Season 4
Futurama Seaon 3
Panic Room 3-disc
Master & Commander CE
The Last Samurai
Film Noir Collection: Vol. 1
Ingmar Bergman Collection
Schindler's List
Trainspotting: CE
The Great Escape: SE
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly SE
Kung Fu: Season 1
The Office: Season 2
Pink Panther Collection
Curb Your Enthusiasm: Seasons 1 and 2
The Commitments: CE
Alice in Wonderland: ME

And upcoming:
Futurama Season 4
STAR WARS OT
Scorsese Collection
WB's Hitchcock Collection
Star Trek: TOS: Season 1
Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair SE
Spider-Man 2
Shrek 2
Looney Tunes: Vol 2.
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King: EE

Holy shit! 2004 is kicking 2003's ass!

Bugg 07-10-04 09:06 PM

Well, we are at the point in which the vast majority of the "big" titles have already been released on dvd at least once, So it's a little tougher to rile up a ton of people with dvd releases every few weeks, when they already have Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, E.T. , Star Trek, Godfather, Gone with the Wind, Jurassic Park, Titanic, Alien, Braveheart, Gump, Superman, Casablanca, Rocky, Terminator, Jaws and so on...

However this has been a great year for me, because my favourite film of all-time The Accidental Tourist finally out, everything else is just icing on the cake :)

marty888 07-10-04 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Bugg
Well, we are at the point in which the vast majority of the "big" titles have already been released on dvd at least once, So it's a little tougher to rile up a ton of people with dvd releases every few weeks, when they already have Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, E.T. , Star Trek, Godfather, Gone with the Wind, Jurassic Park, Titanic, Alien, Braveheart, Gump, Superman, Casablanca, Rocky, Terminator, Jaws and so on...

I guess this means that since most of the crowd-pleasers are now out, the studios can spend more time releasing the good stuff! -wink-

Hokeyboy 07-11-04 12:06 AM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
If only Star Wars and Goodfellas SE came out, it would still be a great year for dvds.
Dayenu.

starving dvder 07-11-04 05:56 AM

This has been the busiest year that I have ever had. I would say my dvd purchasing has doubled over last year. It looks like it's slowing down, but there is still alot of good releases coming for the rest of the year.

More:

Simpson box sets
Andromeda
Star Trek Voyager (season 4-7)
Millenium
Knight Rider
super Dawn of the Dead box set
Star Trek TOS (seasons 1-3)

and alot more that I can't remember.
:)

QuiGonJosh 07-11-04 06:28 AM

This is an awesome year for DVD...and with Star Wars...Dawn of the Dead...Star Trek TOS...Seinfeld...comin out...not to mention Spiderman 2 in Nov. and Kill Bill Vol. 2 and possibly the whole set later...damn its an awesome year!

Kerborus 07-11-04 10:50 AM

Wow, this year has been INCREDIBLE for DVD's!!

Star Wars, X-Files 9, Freaks, Kill Bill, many many unreleased Best Pictures including Great Ziegfeld, Around the World in 80 Days, Mrs. Miniver, etc, Matrix Recolutions, LOTR: ROK.

Who's smoking what?

Gyno Rhino 07-11-04 11:14 AM

No 5-disc Bill and Ted Collection. No sale. Until that comes along, it will indeed be a sorry year for DVDs.

pro-bassoonist 07-11-04 01:45 PM

Originally posted by marty888
The Merchant-Ivory titles, all those great Criterions, the Marx Brothers movies, the Universal Franchise Collections (Abbott & Costello, etc.), the Universal Monsters releases, the Film Noir box sets, another 5 Chaplin DVDs, classic musicals such as <i>Meet Me In St Louis, Ziegfeld Girl, In The Good Old Summertime</i>, the four new Disney tins, the Cary Grant Signature collection, the SE's of <i>The Good, The Bad and the Ugly ... The Great Escape ...Trainspotting</i> .... <i>Cocoon, Flight of the Navigator</i> ... etc. etc.

Sorry, I find it difficult to classify all this as part of a "disappointing year"!

:up:.....:o

Pro-B

DVD Josh 07-11-04 04:00 PM

I think it's silly to even think about this being a disappointing year for DVDs. It's been probably the top year I can remember. What will be disappointing is NEXT YEAR. Aside from new releases, what highly anticipated catalog titles are left? I think next year's big thing will be TV on DVD. I'm looking forward to more remastered 80s cartoons being released personally.

gutwrencher 07-11-04 04:34 PM

Originally posted by DVD Josh
It's been probably the top year I can remember. What will be disappointing is NEXT YEAR. Aside from new releases, what highly anticipated catalog titles are left?
tons. it will be a great year...as long as all the MIA titles finally show up.

I'd be happy with just a few...like They All Laughed and The Other. I'm sure we will be seeing those...as both feature John Ritter. we can also use a domestic release of The Driver as well as about 70+ horror titles. thats a lot of horror. how about just a nice WS version of Pumpkinhead? this would be a qaulity upgrade from the foolscreen domestic.

other "Gut" needs:

Crack In the World
Jane Eyre(original)
Wuthering Heights(re-release)
Inside Moves
Modern Problems(C. Chase)
Neighbors
A Lizard In A Womans Skin
4 Flies On Grey Velvet
Elvis(Carpenter)
The Addiction
Ragtime
White Heat
Public Enemy
McVicker
MORE Matt Helm films
This Island Earth(re-release)
East of Eden
Cannery Row
Incredible Melting Man
Crusing

I'd list more...but I'm dead tired. yup...plenty to be released. :D

jough 07-11-04 05:26 PM

I'm still waiting for the 4-disc SE of The Dark Backward.

So until it reaches the format, DVD will always seem to be in its infancy.

I hold The Dark Backward on DVD as a sign that the format has truly matured.