DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Disappointing year for DVDs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/373971-disappointing-year-dvds.html)

PopcornTreeCt 07-09-04 02:09 PM

Disappointing year for DVDs?

Looking over the thread for the best DVD of Q2. I'm pretty disappointed in the releases. The studios have released only a few must-have DVDs and the rest are just ho-hum. The biggest release of the year is Star Wars and with the proposed changes that is sure to disappoint many. Its pretty much a standard practice nowadays to release a barebones and then a special edition down the road. Which I think will hurt the DVD market in the long run.

Every week seems to be another crappy week when it comes to DVDs. I'm sure there are catalog titles the studios can release but just aren't. Where's The Magnificent Ambersons? Where's East of Eden? Last year we got great releases of Singin In The Rain and Casablanca. This year we've got a decent Grapes of Wrath. Very disappointing year for DVDs.

Lobster Bisque 07-09-04 02:16 PM

I completely disagree. Criterion alone has made this a landmark year for DVD... and they still have a couple months left.

Giles 07-09-04 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Lobster Bisque
I completely disagree. Criterion alone has made this a landmark year for DVD... and they still have a couple months left.
yeah, but those are o-l-d movies.... :D in all fairness, Criterion's 2004 releases this year have been a treasure trove of classic and somewhat newer films (i.e, 'Slacker'/'Videodrome') One can't wait to see what Criterion is going to pull out it's hat for the Fall and early Winter months!

Adrenaline 07-09-04 02:20 PM

Panic Room SE, Saving Private Ryan: WW2 Collection, Robotech Remastered Vol 1-3, Star Trek VI: CE, Schindler's List, X-Files Season 9, Stargate SG-1 Seasons 5&6 and Futurama Vol 3 have been good. There's probably more that I don't have that have been good.

We get Star Trek TOS in sets starting in late August, Star Trek Voyager gets pretty good DVD treatment, Twilight Zone sets, Star Wars OT, Shawshank Redemption SE, Futurama Vol 4 and The Thing (Anamorphic)!

I think it's a great year, it really depends on what your interests are. Sci-fi lovers every where should be extremely happy this year between the Star Trek, Twilight Zone and Star Wars coming out.

Michael Corvin 07-09-04 02:21 PM

I'm with Popcorn. I can't remember the last movie I bought. I, on the other hand, have bought probably 18 tv box sets this year. That I am loving.

And like in another thread, where is catalog title, The Sting: WS? I'd love to pick that one up.

RobCA 07-09-04 02:25 PM

Yup, it's another great year for TV shows on DVD, which is primarily where my interest is these days. There are only a few movies I'm still waiting for anyway.

Rob

MasterCXtreme 07-09-04 02:29 PM

I think the years keep getting better. The growing amount of TV DVD sets out there are sure to please somebody. Freaks & Geeks was an awesome set, one of the best all year.

Plenty of new re-releases including Shawshank and the Scorsese collection with the long-awaited Goodfellas.

Of course ROTK: EE near the end of the year will be a helluva set.

Wow, I almost forgot... Seinfeld! Finally being released in November, with 3 seasons at once!

All in all, I think it's a pretty good year. I agree that there isn't much out there worth getting in terms of new movies, but there's still some damn good discs coming that are too good to ignore.

Josh H 07-09-04 02:34 PM

I think it's been a pretty good year, mainly because I thought 2003 was a solid year for movies with ROTK, Lost in Translation, Last Samurai, Cold Mountain, Master and Commander, Seabiscuit etc. which have came out on DVD this year.

Plus the Star Wars triology, which have been my most wanted DVDs since getting a player in 1998 are finally coming out. :D

ScottyWH 07-09-04 02:37 PM

One word...

WIZARDS

ArchibaldTuttle 07-09-04 02:47 PM

um the year is only half over!?

marty888 07-09-04 02:52 PM

The Merchant-Ivory titles, all those great Criterions, the Marx Brothers movies, the Universal Franchise Collections (Abbott & Costello, etc.), the Universal Monsters releases, the Film Noir box sets, another 5 Chaplin DVDs, classic musicals such as <i>Meet Me In St Louis, Ziegfeld Girl, In The Good Old Summertime</i>, the four new Disney tins, the Cary Grant Signature collection, the SE's of <i>The Good, The Bad and the Ugly ... The Great Escape ...Trainspotting</i> .... <i>Cocoon, Flight of the Navigator</i> ... etc. etc.

Sorry, I find it difficult to classify all this as part of a "disappointing year"!

island007 07-09-04 02:58 PM

I think the year has been good so far and will get better with Star Wars, Star Trek TOS, LOTR ROTK EE, and Goddfellas SE.

cross 07-09-04 03:11 PM

I think its a great year for TV on DVDS.

With new Simpsons Seasons, CSI, and Batman Animated I'm loving this year's TV on DVD releases.

Not to mention all the stuff I don't watch but other people like:

Star Trek, Buffy / Angel, Nip/Tuck, Spiderman 67, etc.

True I haven't really been buying many newer movies but there have been big notables: Schindlers, Star Wars. I'm personally waiting for Goodfellas, Shawshank, and *finger's crossed* Crimson Tide later this year.

Red Dog 07-09-04 03:27 PM

Heck no - I'm a TV-on-DVD junkie, so this year has been the best DVD year by far IMO. Plenty more of great titles on the way (particularly Trek TOS), plus we finally get the Star Wars Triology on DVD.

asianxcore 07-09-04 03:33 PM

I've been very happy with the release thus far this year. I still have a lot to look forward to as well,

Alias: Season 3
Dawn of the Dead: Ultimate Edition
Star Wars Trilogy
Hellraiser Lament Configuration Set

just those 4 alone make me very happy :)

sracer 07-09-04 03:38 PM

Hmm, let's see:
Lost In Space: Season 1
Disney Treasures: Tomorrowland
Speed Racer: LE Volume 2
Frankenstein: Legacy Collection
Dracula: Legacy Collection
Wolf Man: Legacy Collection

and coming up:
Star Trek: TOS
Lost In Space: Season 2 / Volume 1
Seinfeld
Dawn of the Dead: Ultimate Edition

Star Wars Trilogy (if the quality is better than the 5-Star discs)

I'm extremely happy! Though I'm pushing the upper bounds of my DVD budget. ;)

RyoHazuki 07-09-04 03:44 PM

If only Star Wars and Goodfellas SE came out, it would still be a great year for dvds.

gutwrencher 07-09-04 03:46 PM

if it was a crappy year for dvds so far...then I'd be buying less than 10 a week. and no...I dont buy everything that comes out or anything I see on the shelves or while shopping on-line. I buy what I like and have a passion for and it stops there. I just have a wide taste in film and use a very open mind...therefore, I'll like more than you I guess.:p

I look at my sig. below and right off the bat....I see a ton of new releases and thats in just 2 weeks.:D

PopcornTreeCt 07-09-04 03:48 PM

I agree that TV on DVD this year is great. And continues to be. While Criterion keeps getting better with age also. However, movies on DVD released by the other studios are still lacking in greatness like they once had. My 2 more cents.

drjay 07-09-04 03:49 PM

Scorsese box set
Star Wars (who cares if it's screwed around, we're all gonna buy it)
Film Noir box set
Batman: TAS (okay not a big release but I was ecstatic)
Cassavettes Box
Panic Room SE

I have burned more money this year than any previous year, but I've been snapping up great catalog titles as well (of which there have been lots of great releases this year).

Zodiac_Speaking 07-09-04 04:02 PM

I think every year for dvd has been great and this year has really been super. I've been pleased with Blue Underground in releasing some nice cult films, Tv on DVD has been great, older films getting nice treatment, and of course, the newer films get great releases.

Too much stuff this year yet to be released, but here's hoping that 2005 will have: King Kong, Curse of the Werewolf, and some more old '50s SciFi, like Incredible Shrinking Man to be released.

Kal-El 07-09-04 04:10 PM

Are you kidding me?

STAR WARS TRILOGY - all SE and Luca$ hating aside, don't tell me this is not a DVD event.

Shawshank Redemption SE - finally

ROTK EE - need I say more?

Top Gun SE - a movie totally made for DVD

It's a great year for me personally anyway.

LorenzoL 07-09-04 04:13 PM

Originally posted by marty888
The Merchant-Ivory titles, all those great Criterions, the Marx Brothers movies, the Universal Franchise Collections (Abbott & Costello, etc.), the Universal Monsters releases, the Film Noir box sets, another 5 Chaplin DVDs, classic musicals such as <i>Meet Me In St Louis, Ziegfeld Girl, In The Good Old Summertime</i>, the four new Disney tins, the Cary Grant Signature collection, the SE's of <i>The Good, The Bad and the Ugly ... The Great Escape ...Trainspotting</i> .... <i>Cocoon, Flight of the Navigator</i> ... etc. etc.

Sorry, I find it difficult to classify all this as part of a "disappointing year"!

Bingo! Plus more movies are coming out in the fall and winter.

Brian Shannon 07-09-04 04:50 PM

Not for me

OldBoy 07-09-04 04:53 PM

You people with your tv sets on DVD...only one mention of "Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series"??? That is the only set I own!