Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

psycho cop 2, where are there copys of the unrated version?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i remeber hearing about this movie from julie i think like 2 or 3 years ago. i know its supposingly availible in the usa but heavily edited. are there any places to get the unrated version.
Old 07-06-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would also like to know where to get this if it's available.
Old 07-06-04, 07:03 PM

I hear the Columbia UK/R2 releases 'may' be uncut..but Columbia U.S. versions are butchured to hell!

On VHS,Aliance released it unrated in Canada. That is the version I own and found on ebay a couple years ago. I have not seen it listed since though.

Great film that rules uncensored,check out imdb.com for complete listing of all the added grue and such. The R version is literally mutilated badly and ruins all the key moments for the film with the sloppy editing. Ironic that the Columbia VHS advertises it as 'state of the art gore' when it is all deleted from the R version!

R version is 80 minutes
Unrated is 85 minutes.

If Columbia still owns the rights to this and decide on a DVD release sometime. They had better restore the damn thing. But with their track record,I doubt it. So hopefully Blue Underground or someone can get ahold of it for a proper release.

edited to add....

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...288452-0121653
Just found this listed on Amazon.ca

I would make sure it is truely unrated and get confirmation on the running time(box mistakingly lists it as 90 minutes) before risking an order though. But they also have an 'import'(US i bet) listed as being R rated. So who knows,this may be the unrated version and not a mistake.

+ here is the complete listing of what the unrated version contains....from imdb.com and of course contains major SPOILERS

An unrated 85-minute version has been shown on USA cable network Cinemax.

R rated version is HEAVILY censored & runs only 80 minutes sloppily editing out all the gore & most of the nudity to avoid an NC-17 rating. Unrated version with all sex/nudity & gore intact runs 85 minutes. This version is available in Canada from Alliance Releasing. All known U.S. releases from Columbia/Tristar are the heavily censored R version. Scenes severely cut in order to avoid an NC-17 include:

More graphic footage of the inside of Officer Joe Vickers car during the credits with severed body parts & grue smeared all over.

The night watchman getting his eye gouged with a pencil.
Longer & more explicit striptease sequence with the three strippers

A couple having sex in a copy room. This sequence is missing in the R version & picks up later on as they are getting dressed.
The couple from the copy room getting impaled together on a wall. Vicker's shoves the pole through the guy with graphic shots of it protruding out his back & then into the women.

Larry getting shot in the head, showing the back of his head bursting open in a flood of brain & grue which splatter on wall behind him The R version cuts just as Vicker pulls the trigger & shows Brians reaction, as they all bolt down the hall to escape.

Guy on the roof as he gets shot in the head, blood pours out of his mouth as the camera lingers for a few seconds before falling down. Vickers then kicks his body a few times in up close shot. Much of that is missing in the R version & just goes to the infamous postmortem Miranda Rights speech where Vicker's reads him his rights with a twist.

Stripper being shot in the head in the stairway is extremely gruesome. Much like Larry's death..this shows the back of her head explode in grue which splatter's a HUGE mess on the wall.

Vickers getting axed: while not extremely gruesome, the impact is left onscreen, rather than cutting from the ax swinging, then all of a sudden sticking out of his stomach in the R version.

Brian getting axed in the back is onscreen as he winces in pain for a few seconds as you see Vicke's enjoy his suffering,laughing .The R version abruptly cuts to Brian stumbling into the lobby with ax in back

Vickers beating at the end is much longer in the unrated version.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 07-06-04 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

hows the quality of that vhs julie? i am guessing this is a crap movie with the exception of the gore scenes.

also the vhs on amazon says 3 to 5 weeks, so no thanks on that (prob means they don't have it).
do you know anyother ways to get this?

Last edited by Rypro 525; 07-06-04 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 09:36 PM

It is decent quality,not perfect,nothing spectacular,but tolerable.

Not sure of any other ways to get it,unless someone has bootleged the VHS,which sadly no one seems to have.

It is a crap movie,but in a good way. Fun campy,hilarious sleazy trash. If you don't have a sense of humor and are expecting a serious professional film. Then this should be avoided at all costs
Old 07-06-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

found it on half, but he doesn't state the version he has
Old 07-06-04, 10:27 PM

I was going to post the box,but my scanner is'nt working properly. So here is the SKU # of the Aliance VHS

The art on the cover shows the cop above the title real large in
glasses holding his night-stick..with the tagline 'Something old Something New,Something Bloody & The Man In Blue"...while underneath the title are the three strippers,one pointing a gun and the tagline "A bachelor party you'll never forget".

The R rated U.S. release cover just shows an extrem upclose shop of the cop,where you see the relection of a stripper in his glasses. Avoid at all costs

So I guess you should try to contact the seller and ask for the SKU # and cover art description + any possible ratings and running time.

I would say this film is perfect late night viewing,which it was basically intended for. So sorry if I may hype it up too much since it just happened,that i liked the film alot.

But it works better if you go in with low expectations...like say you were flipping through the channels,stumbled upon it and started watching..and surprisingly enjoyed. That is what happened to me when I found this late night on cable,sadly in R rated form though.

So remember low low low...heck no expectations and late night=fun fun fun in the right mindset.