Community
Search

Any reviews for the Batman: TAS Vol. 1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-04, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any reviews for the Batman: TAS Vol. 1?

I've even done a Google search and the only thing that comes close are Amazon.com user reviews. Is there any DVD review sites with a review on this. I know a good portion of this volume has already been released via the single individual volumes, but I was more concerned with if the AV qualities have been improved or whatnot, and what are the extras.
Old 07-04-04, 10:43 AM

Got one in front of me. Popped in one of the discs and watched only a little (wasn't a big fan of the series). The transfer seems just OK- almost a little blurry? The extras are a little slim. On each disc there's an extra featurette or promo:
1) Batman: The Legacy Continues Retrospective Featurette
2) The Dark Knight's First Night Pilot Promo
3) Tour of the Batcave
4) Other DC Superhero Favorites
Also, 2 of the episodes have commentary.
I like the packaging more than the Hanna Barbera collections though. Seems a bit classier.
Old 07-04-04, 11:26 AM
Banned

Thanks, well that's one...any others?
Old 07-06-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so does anyone have any comments on this set after getting it? i havent picked mine up yet and im curious to how it looks.
Old 07-06-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw this set in Best Buy, and a sticker on the package stated that it included a free ticket to Catwoman. I am curious if my set from Amazon will have one, even though I'm not completely sure I'm willing to go see it for free.
Old 07-06-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the set so far. Great packaging and the video looks good.
Old 07-07-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loving it so far, I just think the picture quality could have been better.
Old 07-07-04, 01:09 AM

I love it thus far, although I'm a little disappointed that the short conversations with Bruce Timm from the previous single disc releases don't seem to be on the set at all. Then again, I've only watched the first disc.
Old 07-07-04, 05:07 AM
Banned

My Review: GET THIS DVD NOW!!!
Old 07-07-04, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by evitagen
I saw this set in Best Buy, and a sticker on the package stated that it included a free ticket to Catwoman. I am curious if my set from Amazon will have one, even though I'm not completely sure I'm willing to go see it for free.
Amazon said right on the page I think that the Catwoman ticket was included.
Old 07-07-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the set. The image quality is better than it ever looked on TV, but the show was done with old cell animation, and there is some dust on some shows, plus the style it was made in, on black paper with a limited color palette, keeps it from looking magnificent.

On the commentary they say they wanted it to look like a cartoon from the 40s and it does, in a good way though, I wouldn't want it hyper sharp and colorful, that's not how the series is supposed to look.

The Documentaries are great, I love the two commentaries (although I wish there were more).

Overall it's a great set, I can't say there is anything wrong with it. About $35 on best buy (plus that free Catwoman ticket, which I guess technically knocks $10 off the price, although I highly doubt I'll see catwoman).
Old 07-07-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thumbs up from me!

I've been a huge fan of these series, so this was a natural buy for me. I only watched one episode and the pilot demo, but I'm really happy.

A/V is like the previous single disc issue WB released a year or so ago. Video is like a 3.5/5.
Old 07-07-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Got it today. Trashed the catwomen ticket! The DVD set looks 'ok'. Alot of dust! Wish they spent more time cleaning the cels.
Old 07-07-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
Got it today. Trashed the catwomen ticket! The DVD set looks 'ok'. Alot of dust! Wish they spent more time cleaning the cels.
Aww, that's awful to throw something away that someone might find pleasureable [who those people are, I do not know]. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=373536 <- This thread's owner is giving away his ticket.
Old 07-07-04, 12:04 PM

Yeah, the picture is ok and could have been better but it is definitely better than the lousy VHS copies I have. I'm hyped to make it the rest of the way through the set.
Old 07-07-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why throw away a ticket? It's free. You already paid for it. Just go and enjoy the movie. It'll be no worse than Spider-Man, and watching Halle Berry in that outfit can't be too bad, I think. I'm a big fan of the Batman franchise so I'm watching Catwoman regardless if I get the ticket in my box.
Old 07-07-04, 12:35 PM

Not going to give Halle any BO $'s! Even if it's $12.00
Old 07-07-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jmj713
I'm a big fan of the Batman franchise so I'm watching Catwoman regardless if I get the ticket in my box.
I don't see how the Batman franchise and Catwoman the movie have anything to do with each other.

So far it looks like the name is the only thing left of her character. No Gotham City, no Selina Kyle, her abilities were changed from being an acrobatic catbuglar into something similar to Spider-Man (re: she's inherited all of a cat's abilities, even going so far as having cat eyes), the whole resurrected from cats idea was taken from Batman Returns (her comics bio states that she was just an orphan who ran away to live a life of crime as a catbuglar) and as far as I know she's the good guy where in the comic she was always on her side (being good or bad was a means to her end). Plus the costume looks ridiculous (YMMV).

It's not THE Catwoman, it's A Catwoman. This isn't just comic fan boy nitpicking ala organic webshooters, the whole character/mythos has been changed. I can't see this film appealing to anyone except the type of people who would be interested in seeing Halle Berry half-nekkid and maybe people in the S&M scene, IMHO.

Last edited by darqleo; 07-07-04 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-07-04, 04:04 PM
Suspended

The big question I have is - are the extras from the single releases recycled, or do we get a whole new package of stuff?
Old 07-07-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I go to pretty much all new movies that come out, unless it is really bad (ie dumb comedies, etc.). From the trailers this looks like a nice mindless action flick with cool effects, much like Spider-Man 2, which I enjoyed.
Old 07-07-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by jmj713
Why throw away a ticket? It's free. You already paid for it. Just go and enjoy the movie. It'll be no worse than Spider-Man, and watching Halle Berry in that outfit can't be too bad, I think. I'm a big fan of the Batman franchise so I'm watching Catwoman regardless if I get the ticket in my box.
I agree in theory but I bet my bottom dollar that it is worse than Spider-Man!
Old 07-07-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My copy finally shipped today from DDD, so that means another week's wait. By the way, it looks like Adam Tyner is handling the official DVD Talk review for this one, so you'll definitely want to keep an eye out for that!
Old 07-07-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by warcp
The transfer seems just OK- almost a little blurry?
It's not blurry, it just wasn't created on a computer like animation today. There's dirt in the print. I'm watching it on a 58" widescreen and it looks good, though.

I'm happy with it. Looking forward to the other two releases.
Old 07-07-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm certainly not overly impressed with the picture quality on this set. I watched 3 episodes last night and they were average. I recall them looking far better the first time around but I may be wrong. The extras as nice but certainly no reason to buy the set. I have to listen to the commentaries yet.

As for the Catwoman ticket.....it's either going to be given away to some who wants to torture themselves for 2 hours or it's going in the trash. I have NO desire to see it or Halle. This movie has been a joke since the first concepts of her outfits. It would take far more than a free ticket to get me to see it.
Old 07-07-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with the general sentiments on the picture quality - slightly fuzzy with some dirt in the transfer. It's not bad, but it does show its age. Certainly don' t expect anything as clear as Futurama.

That said, this is a wonderful set at a totally reasonable price.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.