Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Butterfly Effect the only major motion picture DVD release this week?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-04, 03:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it is the 4th of July this weekend but only one major movie will be released this week.

Has this happened before?

Netflix better have this one. It might suck but this is the only new release I can see this weekend since Secret Window and Badder Santa are on long wait.
Old 07-04-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
What a dud week for DVD collectors.
Old 07-04-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ehh most new releases suck unless they're catalogue titles. Besides, the Film Noir Collection comes out this week Woo-Hoo!
Old 07-04-04, 01:00 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm looking forward to the butterfly effect
Old 07-04-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for me, the Film-Noir titles are more major than anything that TBE can bring to my table.
Old 07-04-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Butterfly Effect has been one of the better surprises so far this year... a really solid and entertaining flick that I think most people underestimated... I can't wait to pick this up on Tuesday.

MATT
Old 07-04-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Batman: The Animated Series, Volume 1 comes out this week. Not a motion picture, but definitely some good entertainment.
Old 07-04-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It is a slow week, but i am eager to see TBE again...i really enjoyed it, and looking forward to seeing the extras/ directors cut.
Old 07-04-04, 09:52 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Red Sonja
Old 07-04-04, 10:05 PM

Film Noir Collection, Batman: Animated Series Vol. 1, Charlie Chan Chantology, Red Sonja, Monsieur Ibrahim, Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.....

Slow week? Far from it.
Old 07-04-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

never saw it - worth a blind buy? any comparable movies to it so i can see if its worth picking up?
Old 07-04-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Red Sonja is a must buy!
Old 07-05-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DataZak
Film Noir Collection, Batman: Animated Series Vol. 1, Charlie Chan Chantology, Red Sonja, Monsieur Ibrahim, Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.....

Slow week? Far from it.

TBE will be long forgotton while some of these catalogue titles will endure.
Old 07-05-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Butterfly Effect the only major motion picture DVD release this week?

Originally posted by corycouger
I know it is the 4th of July this weekend but only one major movie will be released this week.

Has this happened before?

Netflix better have this one. It might suck but this is the only new release I can see this weekend since Secret Window and Badder Santa are on long wait.
It's a sad day when one of, if not THE bigesst "major motion picutre" DVD release days of the years comes along, & someone complains about there not being any good major motion pictures coming out.

As many others have glady pointed out, there is "The Film Noir Collection". Some of the most inluential movies ever filmed, a lot bigger than movies like Secret Window & Butterfly Effect.

Perhaps this would be a good week to check out some quality major studio releases rather than wait for the next DVD some commercial during Punked tells you to buy.
Old 07-05-04, 11:15 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yeah, next week looks a little slow too.

Mid-summer is never a great time for DVD releases - by the time mid-June rolls around most of the christmastime Oscar-contenders are already out on disc.

We are getting some great catalog titles this year, though - the Film Noir box, the Scorsese box, the Hitchcock box - and late August is usually incredible for the sheer number of great discs being released.
Old 07-05-04, 12:05 PM

FYI, The Butterfly Effect has the theatrical version of the film and an alternate version listed as a "director's cut". The DC runs six minutes longer and the ending is completely different.

Not having seen the film before, I opted for the DC version when we screened the disc a couple of nights ago. A very "down" ending, but yet more of a logical conclusion to this story than the theatrical version ending, which we watched afterward and I consider a studio cop-out.

There were five of us watching and all agreed the DC has the better ending. That would be my recommendation to anyone considering this disc.
Old 07-05-04, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Robert George
FYI, The Butterfly Effect has the theatrical version of the film and an alternate version listed as a "director's cut". The DC runs six minutes longer and the ending is completely different.

Not having seen the film before, I opted for the DC version when we screened the disc a couple of nights ago. A very "down" ending, but yet more of a logical conclusion to this story than the theatrical version ending, which we watched afterward and I consider a studio cop-out.

There were five of us watching and all agreed the DC has the better ending. That would be my recommendation to anyone considering this disc.
Wow. I wasn't aware of thsi at all. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-05-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Butterfly Effect the only major motion picture DVD release this week?

Originally posted by Sessa17
It's a sad day when one of, if not THE bigesst "major motion picutre" DVD release days of the years comes along, & someone complains about there not being any good major motion pictures coming out.

As many others have glady pointed out, there is "The Film Noir Collection". Some of the most inluential movies ever filmed, a lot bigger than movies like Secret Window & Butterfly Effect.

Perhaps this would be a good week to check out some quality major studio releases rather than wait for the next DVD some commercial during Punked tells you to buy.
There's nothing wrong with not caring about your precious 'Film Noir Collection'. I personally don't care either, and think it's a weak release day for DVD's.

And your Punk'd reference...well, I just don't get it I guess...
Old 07-05-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Re: Butterfly Effect the only major motion picture DVD release this week?

Originally posted by Tarantino
There's nothing wrong with not caring about your precious 'Film Noir Collection'. I personally don't care either, and think it's a weak release day for DVD's.

And your Punk'd reference...well, I just don't get it I guess...
You can't be much of a Tarantino fan you are if you don't care about some of the biggest, most signifant influences on his career.

The only TV show on MTV I know the name of is Punked, which has the same guy as Butterfly Effect in it & with such significant major studio releases coming out tomorrow, & the guy not even knowing about them, it just read to me like the person was getting their movie info from commercials on MTV.

I never said there was anything wrong with it, I just find it sad, that so many don't care about the truly great films.
Old 07-05-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Butterfly Effect the only major motion picture DVD release this week?

I never said there was anything wrong with it, I just find it sad, that so many don't care about the truly great films.
yeah, I count 12 titles on the list for this week that for me...are no-brainers. a huge freakin' week. helps to be a true film-whore though...I cant help it. guess it helps to be older and have a wider taste.
Old 07-05-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Butterfly Effect the only major motion picture DVD release this week?

Originally posted by gutwrencher
...I cant help it. guess it helps to be older and have a wider taste.
I'm only 23. Age has nothing to do with it. It does help to have wider taste (and by wider I mean good taste )
Old 07-05-04, 05:34 PM
Banned

The Directors Cut is worth buyin this disc for...the movies is so much better and takes on much more meaning!
Old 07-05-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Butterfly Effect the only major motion picture DVD release this week?

You can't be much of a Tarantino fan you are if you don't care about some of the biggest, most signifant influences on his career.
I don't see any movies coming out this week that I deem 'the biggest, most significant influences on his career'.
Old 07-05-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed the director's cut yesterday... I didn't see the movie in the theatre, but the wife did and explained all the differences (which were mainly the ending)... overall I thought it was a GREAT movie... definitely not one to miss... a little odd, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-05-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But the clear implication of the original post (referencing other new releases such as Bad Santa and Secret Window) was of new movies on DVD. That's what The Butterfly Effect is. And it is the only major new movie release on DVD Tuesday.

All of the other releases being touted by you and others are catalog titles--great ones, yes, but still catalog releases, even if they are new to DVD. No need to get high and mighty about what seemed like a simple comment.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.