Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

"Cabin Fever" DVD as a whole?

Old 07-02-04, 07:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 374 Likes on 331 Posts

Ok..here is the story..i rented this when it first came out. i didn't like it too much, but i didn't think it was dreadful, and was mildly freaked by some of the deterioration scenes.

for some reason this movie has been lingering lately and i am hankering to see it again. i could rent it, but i also can buy it cheap on eBay.

my questions are:
1) will this movie be good on a 2nd viewing?
2) how r the extras? i know there are the commentaries...how is the one with Rider Strong?
3) what is the "chick" and "family" filters all about?
4) are the short movies and easter eggs good at all?

so i guess this more for a person who owns the dvd. if you could help me out i would appreciate it. if anything i will rent to satisfy the hunger. i thought it would come on cable soon, but i guess not yet. thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-04, 08:54 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know. I personally hated Cabin Fever but some love it to death...

"Pancakes!" LMAO.
Old 07-02-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, like you rented, but bought it soon after. I think if you liked it well enough it's definatley worth owning - with the comm tracks being surprisingly good.

1. If you like the movie to begin with it holds up. If you don't, like publicenemy numero uno, it doesn't get any better. I don't think this is the type of movie that is going to win any person over with time.
2. Like I said, the comms are really good. The one with the director is really lively as he really uses the forum to tell some good stories. Check out the review on this site for a better breakdown of the comms.
3. This is a "cutesy" gimmick. Not really worth anything outside of a minor chuckle. I give them credit for trying something different though.
4. I liked the eastereggs. The short movies did nothing for me though.

I say if you want to see it again you might as well buy it. You probably can get it for like $8 bucks or less. Not much more than a rental. It's obvious they were trying to make this into a cult classic and I think in some regards they did just that.
Old 07-02-04, 09:18 PM

For me this dvd was a must buy as it was only 1 out of the 3 movies i really loved last year
Old 07-02-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,003 Likes on 728 Posts
The "chick" and "family" things are basically gags.

The "Family Version" of the film removes anything scary or offensive, and lasts about thirty seconds.

The "Chick" version is just the movie played with special subtitles shaped like hands that appear onscreen during gory sequences. Like someone is covering their eyes.
Old 07-03-04, 03:20 AM

I rented this because I was bored and ended up loving it. I had to buy it. The campy humor really connected with me. The four commentary tracks are great as is the making-of. You also get the Rotten Fruit and Pancakes dancing to the song "Gay Bar," which is a fun exta. Also, if nothing else, get it for Cerina Vincent's nude scene
Old 07-03-04, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd say buy it. If you decide you don't want it you can easily get your money back by selling it to someone else on eBay.
Old 07-03-04, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I could watch this movie 100 times. It's just so damn hilarious. And it's even better with a group of friends and a little alcohol.
Old 07-03-04, 09:55 PM

I loved the Rotten Fruit shorts.

I just got shot in the heaaaaad...
Old 07-04-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think this DVD is definitely worth owning, but I think it's scheduled for a price drop soon enough, so you could probably pick it up cheaper if you wait a couple more months.
Old 07-04-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's pretty interesting to say the least...

they're very creative in doing the DVD project... another fine example on how to have fun with DVD...
Old 07-05-04, 11:38 AM
Cool New Member

I loved the deputy who wanted nothing more than just to party.
Old 07-06-04, 02:27 AM

Not sure about all that stuff, but that chick had the one of the nicest racks money could buy...
Old 07-06-04, 09:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by malkmuz
I loved the Rotten Fruit shorts.

I just got shot in the heaaaaad...
yeah I agree, a definite highlight of the supplements
Old 07-06-04, 11:41 AM
Cool New Member

If you like and can re-watch any of the Toxic Avenger movies, than Cabin Fever is a good DVD buy for you.
Old 07-06-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hilarious shorts, commentary, and features. I loved this movie, and would say to buy it. It's a comedic homage, you could say, but I just love it.

PANCAKES (both in the movie and especially the special feature) had me LMAO.
Old 07-06-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 212 Likes on 182 Posts
you can find this way under 10 bucks on ebay. so I say go for it. it's just a nice homage to a lot of horror movies, funny most of the time, but still enjoyable
Old 07-06-04, 02:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 374 Likes on 331 Posts
i got it for $3.57, along with "American History X" for $6.50 from same dealer. not too bad! looking forward to CB again.
Old 07-06-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice snag Scott, I got it for $7.50 during Movie Gallery's last sale, and would say it's well worth it.
Old 07-06-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1) will this movie be good on a 2nd viewing?
2) how r the extras? i know there are the commentaries...how is the one with Rider Strong?
3) what is the "chick" and "family" filters all about?
4) are the short movies and easter eggs good at all?
1) I think it gets funnier each time I watch it, actually.
2) Extras are really great. The commentaries are pretty solid, but the Rider Strong one is especially funny ... it's not that he's pretentious, exactly, but he does seem to think a bit more of himself than he should ... but, at the same time, he tells some amazing stories. Eli Roth (the director) tells the same story on all five commentaries, but that version of the story is the best one. It involves one of the local actors taking a picture with Rider Strong, then driving around to restaurants saying "I made a movie with Boy Meets World, give me free food," and they did.
3) Jokes.
4) The easter egg is funny, because the stories about the dog are all over that disc. And the shorts are good.

If you want to see it again despite not liking it, that's a pretty good sign that you'll want to watch it more once you like it, right? Buy it on the cheap, dude, it's worth it. The cover alone (possibly a limited edition thing, it's a slipcase with art which is ... not holographic, there's another word for it ...) is worth the money you'll pay.
Old 07-06-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 534 Likes on 379 Posts
It is nice to find other people out there who enjoyed this campy horror homage! Funniest joke of the year was the rifle in the gas station (you have to watch the end to get it!).