Search this Thread

Old 06-26-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
September Criterions!

Spine #249 MSRP $49.95

SPECIAL EDITION THREE-DISC SET FEATURES:

DISC 1: THE BATTLE OF ALGIERS

-New high-definition digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Marcello Gratti, with restored image and sound, and enhanced for widescreen televisions

-Return to Algiers (1992, 55 minutes): three decades following its emergence as a nation, director Gillo Pontecorvo and his son return to Algeria to talk with its people about independence

-Theatrical and re-release trailers

-Poster gallery

-New and improved English subtitle translation

-Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition

DISC 2: PONTECORVO AND THE FILM

-The Making of The Battle of Algiers: an exclusive new documentary created for this release guided by Pontecorvo biographer Irene Bignardi and featuring interviews with the director himself, cinematographer Marcello Gatti, composer Ennio Morricone, editor Mario Morra, actors Jean Martin and Saadi Yacef, and film critic Tullio Kezich

-The Dictatorship of Truth: a 37-minute documentary narrated by Edward Said about the relationship between Pontecorvo’s politics and filmmaking style

-Directors on The Battle of Algiers: a discussion about the film’s influence, style, and importance featuring, Spike Lee, Mira Nair, Julian Schnabel, Steven Soderbergh, and Oliver Stone

DISC 3: THE FILM AND HISTORY

-The Battle of Algiers and History: a new documentary featuring interviews with historians Alistair Horne, Hugh Roberts and Benjamin Stora, former FLN members Zohra Drif-Bitat, Mohammed Harbi and Saadi Yacef, and writer and torture victim, Henri Alleg (The Question)

-“Etats d’Armies”—a 30-minute excerpt from Patrick Rotman’s 3-part documentary, L’Ennemi Intime, which focuses on the horror of the French-Algerian War. It features interviews with various members of the French military during the French-Algerian War, including General Jacques Massu, General Roger Trinquier, General Paul Aussaresses, and others

-How to Win the Battle But Lose the War of Ideas: a conversation about the contemporary relevance of The Battle of Algiers between former National Coordinator for Security and Counterterrorism and author of Against All Enemies: Inside America’s War on Terror, Richard A. Clarke, former State Department Coordinator for Counterterrorism, Michael A. Sheehan, and Chief of Investigative Projects for ABC News, Christopher E. Isham

-Plus: a booklet featuring a new essay by film scholar Peter Matthews, a reprinted interview with writer Franco Solinas, brief biographies on the key figures in the French-Algerian War, and more

Includes: A Constant Forge, A Woman Under The Influence, Faces, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Opening Night, and Shadows.

Spine #250-256 MSRP $124.95

SPECIAL EDITION EIGHT DISC BOX SET SPECIAL FEATURES

-New high-definition digital transfers of all films, with restored image and sound and (where applicable) enhanced for 16x9 televisions

-New video interviews with Cassavetes collaborators Gena Rowlands, Ben Gazzara, Peter Falk, Seymour Cassel, Lelia Goldoni, Lynn Carlin, and Al Ruban

-Two versions of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie: Cassavetes’ original 135-minute cut as well as his subsequent 108-minute re-edit

-Faces alternate opening: 17 minutes of footage revealing the most significant differences of the two version’s opening sequences

-Cinéastes de notre temps: an episode from the French television series, dedicated to Cassavetes

-Audio commentary on A Woman Under the Influence by sound recordist and composer Bo Harwood and camera operator Mike Ferris

-Stills galleries with hundreds of behind-the-scenes photos, publicity shots, and posters

-Booklet featuring new essays on Cassavetes and the films by writers/critics Jonathan Lethem, Gary Giddins, Stuart Klawans, Kent Jones, Philip Lopate, Dennis Lim, and director Charles Kiselyak, as well as reprinted writings by and interviews with Cassavetes, a tribute to Cassavetes by director Martin Scorsese, and more

-English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired

-More!

A Constant Forge
Special Features

-Biographical sketches of the actors Cassavetes used in many of his films, written by Tom Charity (John Cassavetes: Lifeworks)

-Poster gallery for Cassavetes’ Faces, Shadows, A Woman Under the Influence, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and Opening Night

A Woman Under The Influence

Special Features

-New high-definition digital transfer with restored image and sound, enhanced for widescreen televisions

-Audio commentary by longtime Cassavetes collaborators Mike Ferris (camera operator) and Bo Harwood (sound recordist/composer)

-New video interview with actors Gena Rowlands and Peter Falk

-Original TV spots

-Stills gallery featuring dozens of behind-the-scenes production photos

Faces

Special Features
DISC ONE—THE FILM

-New high-definition digital transfer, with restored image and sound and enhanced for widescreen televisions

DISC TWO—THE SUPPLEMENTS

-Seventeen-minute alternate opening sequence, from the Library of Congress version of Faces

-Cinéastes de notre temps (1968, 48 minutes): an episode from the French television series dedicated to Cassavetes, featuring rare interviews and behind-the-scenes footage

-New video interviews with actors Gena Rowlands, Lynn Carlin, Seymour Cassel, and director of photography Al Ruban

-Lighting and shooting the film: Ruban explains how he and the crew achieved the distinct look of Faces, featuring specific sequences from the film

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Special Features
DISC ONE—THE 1976 CUT

-New high-definition digital transfer of John Cassavetes’ original 135-minute edit of the film, unavailable since 1976, with restored image and sound, enhanced for widescreen televisions

DISC TWO—THE 1978 CUT

-New high-definition digital transfer of Cassavetes’ 108-minute edit, from the 1978 theatrical re-release, with restored image and sound, enhanced for widescreen televisions

-New video interviews with star Ben Gazzara and producer Al Ruban

-Stills gallery of dozens of behind-the-scenes photos

Opening Night

Special Features

-New high-definition digital transfer with restored image and sound, enhanced for widescreen televisions

-New video interview with actors Gena Rowlands and Ben Gazzara

Shadows

Special Features

-New high-definition digital transfer, with restored image and sound

-Video interviews with actress Lelia Goldoni and associate producer Seymour Cassel

-Rare silent 16mm footage of John Cassavetes and Burt Lane’s acting workshop rehearsals

-Restoration demonstration

-Trailer

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 06-26-04 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-26-04, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A minute ago I had a hangover, but no more. Criterion, please marry me.
Old 06-26-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Half of me cheers, the other half despairs... In the beginning I was the champion of Criterion putting out as much as they could, but as one who collects every issue Criterion releases they are driving me out of the collection with continued box sets and 3 disc sets.

On one hand it's great! What treatment! On the the other hand, there's almost $200 of releases in the same month... I wish they could spread the box sets around a little... This month it's 'The Leopard' 3 disc and Jean Renoir's... Anyone else notice that they seem to put out a lot more titles per month than they used to?

Oh well, I guess it's a good complaint to have.
Old 06-26-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
I thought this sounded familiar

Criterion in September
Old 06-26-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TomOpus
I thought this sounded familiar

Criterion in September
Oops.
Old 06-26-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finally!!!!

Battle of Algiers, Woman Under The Influence, and Faces... and some other films I am looking forward to.

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Old 06-26-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Oops.
I tell ya, some of these people are too quick. There have been several times I was going to start a thread but noticed someone else started one a few hours before. But it's easy to be excited with new Criterions
Old 06-26-04, 11:08 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Good news is worth posting twice. And this was the better announcement.

The three biggest and best looking DVD releases of the year (adding Dawn of the Dead special edition to this) are all coming out in one month.
Old 06-26-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the cassevettes box set is worthy

i hope love streams will make it to dvd one day soon.
Old 06-26-04, 12:53 PM

What's the fascination on this board with overpriced dvds?
Old 06-26-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Criterion's DVDs are not overpriced.
Old 06-26-04, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Novasonic
...AND THEY'RE OFF!!!
Old 06-26-04, 01:42 PM

I can understand if you truly like the movies, but some people just buy them because they are Criterions.
Old 06-26-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They truly like the movies. As a 'cool new member' maybe you should refrain from posting comments like that, you'll get eaten alive and [BANNED] quick.
Old 06-26-04, 02:07 PM
MSD

I can understand if you truly like the movies, but some people just buy them because they are Criterions.
Ya i find that silly myself. And Criterion's DVDs are most definitely overpriced

With that said i am interested in that Cassevettes box set but i'll have to wait and see what else i'll be picking up that month becuase it's pretty pricey.
Old 06-26-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy shit.

I will have to get the Algiers set immediately, and then figure out how in the hell i can afford the cassavetes set. I am truly awed by this....God Bless you Criterion!!!
Old 06-26-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you do a search, there are many many threads about this.

But, you are correct. Some buy the name. Some also buy all the Blue Underground (waves at gut ) ... etc etc.

But this loyalty also happens in other areas. Some people buy nothing but Mercedes. Some will only eat at the finest restaurants...etc etc.
Old 06-26-04, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Tarantino
They truly like the movies. As a 'cool new member' maybe you should refrain from posting comments like that, you'll get eaten alive and [BANNED] quick.
I may be a cool new member because I just registered, but I've been looking at this site for years.
Old 06-26-04, 02:55 PM

*starts building wishlist for next DDD sale*
Old 06-26-04, 03:44 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I don't really understand why Criterions are called overpriced (unless you're Canadian, if you want to be P.C.). Especially considering how they are usually the only decent R1 vendors offering these films.

Would you rather pay $20-30 for a Facets, New Yorker, Vanguard, Fox Lorber or Kino DVD of a film that Criterion offers for $40, with high-def transfers, loaded with extras; most of which have never been seen in the states?

Because these are the people who would be getting the above films, and numerous extreme rarities like Il Posto, a Brakhage anthology (well, nobody else would release that, would they?), and Richard III, likely complete with less-than-satisfactory transfers of murky printts with little to no features.
Old 06-26-04, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts
They are priced to the point some people are willing to pay for them. (with enough people to keep them going).
Old 06-26-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
I may be a cool new member because I just registered, but I've been looking at this site for years.
Then you must know that your comment has been covered to death in other threads. It's basically a thread-fart.
Old 06-26-04, 04:51 PM

these sets look awesome. Its like going to film school with each set.
Old 06-26-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those frightened by the list price, if DVD Planet continues to offer it's 35% discount on Criterions, the Cassevettes films will cost $16.25 each (yes, I know, you have to buy all five together...)
Old 06-26-04, 05:25 PM

I guess another month to wait and see if Playtime gets re-released. You guys think it will happen?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.