Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

September Criterions!

September Criterions!

Old 06-26-04, 05:44 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Criterion announced early this year (or maybe late last year) that a new Playtime DVD; as well as the DVD debut of Jour de Fete, would be coming. I expect them both before the end of the year; and I expect Playtime to be one of Criterion's more astounding releases.
Old 06-26-04, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Novasonic
I may be a cool new member because I just registered, but I've been looking at this site for years.
Well you must be lying because if you've been around here at all in the past you would have seen this topic discussed many, many times already.
Old 06-26-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to think Criterions were overpriced until I started seeking out other foreign films. And good lord! Did you see the price for Kino's release of Stalker? And Ran Masterworks was equally high as Criterions and the same for the definitive Metropolis DVD. We can't even get a 2-disc set for Empire Strikes Back but Criterion gives us a 3-disc set of The Battle Of Algiers! C'mon how cool is that?
Old 06-26-04, 07:15 PM

I just saw that one guys post earlier in this thread about "Criterion, please marry me" and couldn't take it any more. In all honesty, I wouldn't spend anymore than $15-20 on a DVD unless it was LOTR EEs, multi-movie box sets (i.e. - Alien Quadrilogy, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc.), or TV show season box sets (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc.). That's just me though. You guys probably don't share the same opinion. Sorry for expressing my opinion, but I thought this was the "DVD Talk" section. Next time I won't say anything.
Old 06-26-04, 07:54 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I just saw that one guys post earlier in this thread about "Criterion, please marry me" and couldn't take it any more. In all honesty, I wouldn't spend anymore than $15-20 on a DVD unless it was LOTR EEs, multi-movie box sets (i.e. - Alien Quadrilogy, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc.), or TV show season box sets (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc.).
That's the difference between you and people who love The Battle of Algiers and the films of John Cassavetes; or those interested in them.
Old 06-26-04, 08:03 PM
Banned

I just saw that one guys post earlier in this thread about "Criterion, please marry me" and couldn't take it any more. In all honesty, I wouldn't spend anymore than $15-20 on a DVD unless it was LOTR EEs, multi-movie box sets (i.e. - Alien Quadrilogy, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc.), or TV show season box sets (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc.). That's just me though. You guys probably don't share the same opinion. Sorry for expressing my opinion, but I thought this was the "DVD Talk" section. Next time I won't say anything.
Battle of Algiers is better than everything you just named (and that's coming from someone who is a Simpsons nut and Indiana Jones phanatic who lined up before the store opened on 10/21 to be the first to grab Indy)
Old 06-26-04, 11:34 PM

The other difference is that you guys probably have 1000s of dvds and bottomless wallets. I only have about 300 dvds.
Old 06-27-04, 12:08 AM

Here's a nutty idea: Why don't you go write a book about your life story and leave us and this thread in peace?

If you don't like Criterions, why did you even click on this thread in the first place? Just to complain?
Old 06-27-04, 12:09 AM

The other difference is that you guys probably have 1000s of dvds and bottomless wallets. I only have about 300 dvds.
If I had to choose, I would always select quality over quantity (I am fortunate to have both at present). It also appears, Novasonic (and correct me if I'm wrong), that you don't care for the kind of films that Criterion releases. So why are you even commenting in this thread? Around these parts, that's considered either baiting or threadcrapping, and neither will endear you to other members.

Personally, I wouldn't own the Alien Quadrilogy or Indiana Jones or Star Wars sets if they were given to me giftwrapped--I mean, we all have our personal tastes--but I don't begrudge other members their excitement over these releases (and I don't feel compelled to post my negative opinion in a Star Wars or Alien thread). So, I'll ask again: why are you posting in this particular thread?

Last edited by FilmFanSea; 06-27-04 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-27-04, 12:15 AM

Just to see why people like Criterions so much. I guess I got my answer now. I can't believe you guys don't like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Indiana Jones. To each his own.
Old 06-27-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Novasonic, let me know if you are wanting to buy the LOTR EE's! I have them for sale.

Sorry just trying to get everyone to calm down.
Old 06-27-04, 12:23 AM

Thanks, but I already have the first two. I'm just waiting on the ROTK EE.
Old 06-27-04, 12:24 AM

Just to see why people like Criterions so much. I guess I got my answer now. I can't believe you guys don't like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Indiana Jones. To each his own.
You really should follow your own advice and not say anything else. The more you say the more you expose how uninformed you really are and you're also derailing this thread. If you wanted to talk about how expensive Criterions are, there are plenty of threads to do so in or you can even start your own thread. There's no need to hijack this one.

It seems apparent to others but not to you, but not everyone who buys Criterion has deep pockets or 1000s of DVDs. There are many like myself who are very selective about what we buy. No one denies that Criterion are expensive, but we have to recognize the fact that not all DVD production costs are the same and not all DVD make the same amount of money.

One more thing, you can't judge other people by your own values. It's their time and their money, they're entitled to do with them as they pleases. Personally, I think that anyone who paid $9+ to see "Dude, Where's My Car?" at the theaters are crazy, but I'm not going to make a post about how crazy they are because what would it serve? Isn't it just my personal value and how is it any more valid than that of the people who paid to see the movie?

It's one thing if you didn't like these movies and weren't planning on getting them, but it's another to try and insult the people who are looking forward to them. It doesn't make you look good.
Old 06-27-04, 12:28 AM

ok
Old 06-27-04, 12:42 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally posted by codecomplete
One more thing, you can't judge other people by your own values. It's their time and their money, they're entitled to do with them as they pleases. Personally, I think that anyone who paid $9+ to see "Dude, Where's My Car?" at the theaters are crazy, but I'm not going to make a post about how crazy they are because what would it serve? Isn't it just my personal value and how is it any more valid than that of the people who paid to see the movie?
Did you pay more than $9+ for Armageddon, Chasing Amy, or Salo?

You did make a post about value, and you did judge by it.
Old 06-27-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's the fascination on this board with overpriced dvds?
Well...if you'd make yourself aware of the current state of these particular Cassavetes titles on DVD, then maybe you'll begin to understand our excitement over this announcement from Criterion.
Old 06-27-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just saw that one guys post earlier in this thread about "Criterion, please marry me" and couldn't take it any more. In all honesty, I wouldn't spend anymore than $15-20 blah blah blah
More power to you. I wasn't being remotely serious, but the fact is that Criterion is doing us movie buffs a great service.
Old 06-27-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
the more I think about it, This Battle of Algiers set is easily in the running for best release of the year, if not Best Criterion Ever. I knew it would be three discs and was curious to see how they'd fill them up, but this goes beyond anything I could even imagine.

As for the Casavetes set, for someone like me who rarely has $100 in a month for dvds, it's a shame that they aren't also offerening the titles individually a la the Hitchcock set. I realize that was a repackage of previous releases, but when you are talking about 5 movies, it only seems fair to make it more accessible for those on a tighter budget. It'll be around $85, a price i've never paid for anything. I may end up having to sell off some stuff to get it....for I have to have it. Have to I tell ya!!
Old 06-27-04, 12:34 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yeah, that Casavetes box is going to be a hard pill to swallow - I may have to Netflix the titles at first and then hope someone will buy it for me for Christmas!

But the Battle of Algiers I will have before release day. Man, what a nice set for a truly GREAT film. Considering it will only be around $35 retail, the same as Columbia Tri-Star's 3-disc sets, this is a STEAL for that much content.
Old 06-27-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Der Zorn Gottes
Criterion announced early this year (or maybe late last year) that a new Playtime DVD; as well as the DVD debut of Jour de Fete, would be coming. I expect them both before the end of the year; and I expect Playtime to be one of Criterion's more astounding releases.
Agreed. I unless there is some unknown hiccup I doubt Criterion will miss the Fall/Holidy buying season with Playtime.
Old 06-27-04, 01:23 PM
Cool New Member

I'm not too interested in the current Criterions I've seen in stores. Some I do like, are unavailable like The Killer, Robocop and Hard Boiled.

How come Criterion doesn't release more mainstream or commercial films. I know Criterion is not going to be releasing DUDE WHERES MY CAR, but something along the lines of the 3 dvds above?

And is it true that they will be putting out a Nosferatu version out?
Old 06-27-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by RogerSC
I'm not too interested in the current Criterions I've seen in stores. Some I do like, are unavailable like The Killer, Robocop and Hard Boiled.

How come Criterion doesn't release more mainstream or commercial films. I know Criterion is not going to be releasing DUDE WHERES MY CAR, but something along the lines of the 3 dvds above?

And is it true that they will be putting out a Nosferatu version out?
The major studios put out mainstream films and usually don't like to license out to a 3rd party (ie Criterion). Even though Criterion does claim to be "picky" I'm sure they would kill to be able to release Pirates of the Caribbean. The releases you mentioned came out before DVD hit it big. I'm sure the studios didn't know how big DVDs were gonna get and didn't mind licensing out their films. But now when DVD is big, those Criterions have gone out of print, because the studios want them back to make money for themselves.
Old 06-27-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=371736

from the day before your thread (but yours has more pix).
Old 06-27-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, I'm excited by some of the repsonses here. Can anyone fill me in on Cassevetes style or maybe a quick response on why Battle of Algiers is so highly anticipated?
Old 06-27-04, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Kerborus
Wow, I'm excited by some of the repsonses here. Can anyone fill me in on Cassevetes style or maybe a quick response on why Battle of Algiers is so highly anticipated?
Check out the following links:

The John Cassavetes Pages contains links to excerpts from a number of books and articles about Cassavetes

Film Forum's The Battle of Algiers Pages has quite a few links to articles about the film. I would particularly recommend the NPR story and the piece in the New York Times.
In addition, the Rialto website has links to the trailer for the film.

Last edited by FilmFanSea; 06-27-04 at 09:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.