Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Dawson's Creek **EXTENSIVE** Music Changes

View Poll Results: Dawson's Creek **EXTENSIVE** music Changes, will you still be buying?
If Its Dawson on DVD, I have to have it
27.27%
I have to consider it a little bit more now.
4.55%
No theme song, no sale
15.91%
wasn't planning on buying this anyway.
52.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Amazon.com

On the DVDs, executive producer Paul Stupin does his usual commentary track for two episodes, and he's joined by Kerr Smith. They discuss the series itself, Smith's character, and Smith's subsequent career more than the events of the episodes. The second-season DVD set disappointed many fans by replacing a large portion of the music, and that trend continues in the third season, most surprisingly in the loss of Paula Cole's theme song. Instead, the opening credits feature Jann Arden's "Run Like Mad," which was used briefly in the international broadcast. Stupin explains the switch as an attempt to do something different and creative, but then admits there was also "a bit of an economic reality." Fortunately, the DVDs do have John Lennon's "Imagine" and Mary Beth Maziarz's "Daydream Believers"--songs that in dramatic context simply could not have been replaced--and it could be argued that a veteran viewer might skip the opening credits anyway. Still, for many fans, the music made Dawson's Creek what it was, and without all of it--especially the theme song--the DVDs seem like a compromise rather than a permanent keepsake.
If you go to www.dawsonscreekmusic.com you can see that roughly 75% of the music in season two was replaced, but all of the important songs where left. I excepted the same for this season, but I was wrong.

What I really know is that how can they replace the theme song?
Old 06-23-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Wow, that is disappointing for fans. I was upset that I noticed one episode of Buffy had different music, and they replaced the original song with a song which sounded extremely similar to the original.

I'm really surprised that they'd change the theme song. You'd think that when they made the deal for the theme song for season one, they would have just bought the rights for each season.
Old 06-23-04, 02:11 PM
Suspended

Not a Dawson's Creek fan, but that totally sucks for the fans of the show, i feel for you.

I can relate to be upset over this, if they replaced the Smallville opening theme song with something else I would be pissed "Somebody Save Me...." without it on Smallville it wouldn't be the same.
Old 06-23-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not a Dawson fan, but I agree that it sucks. I would rather have them hold off on a release until it is "economically realistic" rather than having so much music changed. Including the theme song?!? That's f-ed up.
Old 06-23-04, 02:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I question the logic behind the bands/music owners here. It seems like having their songs here would be good exposure and could encourage more people to go get the CD.

I actually was a big fan of this season. The music is such a big part of the feel for this show, and looking at that site it looks like just about every recognizable sing (that is evocative of the era) has been replaced.

But the theme song? Good lord, that's bad. Does Paula Cole really have THAT much going on in her career right now?
Old 06-23-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Doesn't really bother me. I usually skip the credits two or three episodes into the season and even then, the Cole song was pretty annoying.
Old 06-23-04, 04:03 PM

I loved watching this show when it was on and I will buy these season sets regardless. However changing the shows theme song is terrible news and hopefully will not become a trend with other series. Paula Cole's song is Dawson's Creek. I recently watched a Family Guy episode from Vol. 1 where death tells Peter if he kills the cast of Dawson's Creek then he will spare his life and on the airplane they show the cast and play Cole's song. Also in Scary Movie 1 they play that music as Van Der Beek climbs through a set window. Watching this season and future seasons will not be the same.
Old 06-23-04, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like this at all...but I will still buy it. However, DC was on during my high school years and the music was/is a huge part of the "memories" for me. In addition to buying them, I may have to also start grabbing them from TBS with music intact. Has anyone ever done this? I have digital cable. A Tivo would do it, right? I would love to be able to record them from Tivo to DVDR or something. Anyone have any technical info on how to do this or links with info? Sorry if this is inappropriate for in here I am just curious.

Either way, Season 3 will be on my shelf on release day, but I am disappointed in the changes...
Old 06-23-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ZackR
Anyone have any technical info on how to do this or links with info? Sorry if this is inappropriate for in here I am just curious.
No real technical expertise required. Output from Tivo to input of recording device. Done.
Old 06-23-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GoVegan
Wow, that is disappointing for fans. I was upset that I noticed one episode of Buffy had different music, and they replaced the original song with a song which sounded extremely similar to the original.

I'm really surprised that they'd change the theme song. You'd think that when they made the deal for the theme song for season one, they would have just bought the rights for each season.

Which Buffy episode and song are you referring too? Just curious which song they replaced.
Old 06-23-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate the fact that some of the in episode music has been changed. There were some great songs removed in season 2 that really effects the impact for people who remember the original. For people who never saw the originals it makes little difference.

As far as the opening credits go, I'm actually happy, i bought the UK dvd when it first came out and I've always prefered the "run like mad" opening.
Old 06-23-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just received shipping confirmation from DDD, I can't wait!

And regarding the Paula Cole opener, I skip the opening credits because of that annoying song - I got sick of it half way through season 1, so I'm not bothered by it's removal at all.
Old 06-23-04, 08:29 PM

I don't like this at all...but I will still buy it. However, DC was on during my high school years and the music was/is a huge part of the "memories" for me. In addition to buying them, I may have to also start grabbing them from TBS with music intact.
Same as me, only changed High School to Middle School...

And I did "grab" the entire series off TBS when they were airing 4 episodes a day back when they were counting down to the Series Finale. One of these days I'll have to go, and record them all to DVDR cutting out the commercails...
Old 06-23-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While you are all pointing fingers at the bands/artists, why not try looking in the direction of the RIGHTS HOLDERS to the music? The RIAA lands solely in the target for the brunt of the blame here, folks. We all know full and well it is the RIAA that is responsbile for creating such high ticket prices to preserve music on shows like Wonder Years and WKRP so that these shows will NEVER come to DVD. In other instances, they make the costs for the music so freakingly high, the season sets are astronomically priced, such as SCTV and any given HBO set. If you want to bitch, bitch at the RIAA. They are the ones f'ing up our season sets on DVD.
Old 06-23-04, 09:21 PM

I don't like the music changes at all. I am saddened to think they even had to change the theme song. However, I would much rather have it this way than not at all. I love this show enough to suck it up and buy it anyway.
Old 06-23-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Originally posted by Puzznic
Which Buffy episode and song are you referring too? Just curious which song they replaced.
The song in question was "Neverland (A Fragment) " by The Sisters of Mercy. It played in the goth club during the second season episode "Lie to Me."

The song was only in the episode in its first airing, and was replaced in all subsequent broadcasts (and on DVD) with an original song by series composers Shawn Clement and Sean Murray called "Blood of a Stranger."

It's not really a big deal, since the new song works fine in scene, and if you won't miss the SoM song if you're not looking for it. I have the Sisters album (Floodland) that has that song, anyway.
Old 06-24-04, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
This is probably my favorite show of all time, and sadly I will be skipping Season 3 on DVD... I haven't checked out my Season 2 set yet, but I do know that the music was a big part of the show for the first three years especially, and to change it is just downright CRAP.

Real fans of the show should be encouraged to boycott this release... although it's probably too late for that

P.S. I just listened to "Run Like Mad"... Talk about annoying!!! and people thought Paula Cole was bad, GEEZ! I'd get sick of this one after two shows.

Last edited by JTH182; 06-24-04 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-24-04, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't planning on buying the Dawson's Creek DVDs, but I think the producers should really go the extra mile in securing these music rights for the DVDs no matter what.
Old 06-24-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you, calhoun07, for getting the WKRP theme song in my head.

Not a huge fan of the show, but it sucks for the fans. If pop music is an integral part of a TV show, as it was in Freaks & Geeks, the effort to keep the sountrack intact is mucho appreciated. I'd assume that the same would be true for Dawson's fans.

On a different note, weren't most of the musical acts featured on Dawson's Warner Bros. bands? I wouldn't imagine that getting the rights to Warner Bros. music for a DVD of a show shown on the W.B. would be that difficult.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers.

-the Jesus
Old 06-24-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
This would be like the 'Friends' DVDs without I'll be there for you... wtf? Not to mention the changes of in-show music... I really identified with the music of that time
Old 06-24-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cupcake jesus
Thank you, calhoun07, for getting the WKRP theme song in my head.

Not a huge fan of the show, but it sucks for the fans. If pop music is an integral part of a TV show, as it was in Freaks & Geeks, the effort to keep the sountrack intact is mucho appreciated. I'd assume that the same would be true for Dawson's fans.

On a different note, weren't most of the musical acts featured on Dawson's Warner Bros. bands? I wouldn't imagine that getting the rights to Warner Bros. music for a DVD of a show shown on the W.B. would be that difficult.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers.

-the Jesus
Warner might have influenced the music on the show since it aired on The WB, but Sony/Columbia/Tristar produced the series and holds the video rights.
Old 06-28-04, 03:00 PM

I have an original cut of teh pilot used to sell the show to the WB and it has a different guy playing Dawson's Dad and a differenttheme song, Alanis Morrisette's "One hand in my Pocket"
Old 06-28-04, 08:21 PM

I have an original cut of teh pilot used to sell the show to the WB and it has a different guy playing Dawson's Dad and a differenttheme song, Alanis Morrisette's "One hand in my Pocket"
Alanis changed her mind and decided not to let them use it.

Watching the Felicity DVDs without the music ruined the show for me, so I will be skipping Dawson's.

I am so glad that the Gilmore Girls Season 1 set has the music intact.

Last edited by gjamesm; 06-28-04 at 08:24 PM.