Community
Search

Jaws DTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-04, 04:30 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all the modern technogoly to creat beautiful music and sound...i think that the reason why soundtracks are not as good as they should be is because the studio people are not putting as much effort into it as they should. Us consumers continue to tolerate mediocre effort for premium prices. I tell you, they will continue to treat us like sheep as long as we allow them to. There is no reason why picture and sound quality should not be top notch in this day and age. The technogy is there already, but if we continue to tolerate this sloppy work then we have only ourselves to blame. Just look at it this way...if a certain restaurant was complacent and produced mediocre food for high prices, would you ever go back? Hey $20 for a movie is a good chuck of money, no matter what the replay value is. Don't know about you guys, but i hate it when I buy a dvd and the dialogue is distorted or soft. As far as I am concerned, it should be pretty close to perfect. I would not buy a car which rattles when I go past 60 miles per hour....would you?
Old 06-24-04, 08:40 AM

A couple of questions:

How does the Jaws 2 channel Dolby track (that is included on the DTS version) sound in comparison to the original mono track (or even the 5.1 DTS track, for that matter)?

When audio tracks are typically remixed for 5.1 sound, are they remixed from a single mono track, or are they remixed from the original multi-track recording (thereby allowing the opportunity for a true audio remix to be produced)?
Old 06-24-04, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Commander Dan
A couple of questions:

How does the Jaws 2 channel Dolby track (that is included on the DTS version) sound in comparison to the original mono track (or even the 5.1 DTS track, for that matter)?

When audio tracks are typically remixed for 5.1 sound, are they remixed from a single mono track, or are they remixed from the original multi-track recording (thereby allowing the opportunity for a true audio remix to be produced)?
The difference is that this soundtrack wasn't just "remixed." This had actual foley effects replaced which can ruin the soundtrack for some. I have to say that I usually don't mind remixing 5.1 tracks depending on the mix. The replaced effects in this one bother me a great deal...much more than the Superman ones.
Old 06-24-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Commander Dan
The 2.0 track is just a down-conversion of the new 5.1 mix, so all of the sound effects that were replaced for the DD 5.1 and DTS tracks are replaced here as well.

There isn't really a "typical" process that is entirely one way or the other. I'm sure that usually the sound engineers try to go back to the original multi-track recordings if they still exist, and then add processing effects to the mono sound elements that are left over. In the case of movies like Jaws, Vertigo, or The Terminator, entirely new effects were foleyed for much of the movie (the Terminator theme score was also re-orchestrated and re-recorded, and Brad Fiedel forgot to put the metal clanging sound back in).
Old 06-29-04, 12:32 PM
Banned

You might want to check out this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=372275