Batman and Wild Wild West TV shows...

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know when these might start coming to DVD?? These were my 2 favorite shows growing up and I can't believe they aren't available on DVD yet.
Old 06-22-04, 02:08 PM

No one knows anything about these?
Old 06-22-04, 02:18 PM

Batman has been discussed several times in here. Due to legal issues it will probably never be released on DVD. Warner owns the characters but Fox owns the show. The two egos probably coudn't swallow their respective egos to work out the specifics. Too bad. Imagine the extras!
Old 06-22-04, 04:01 PM

How about Wild Wild West? The 40th anniversary should be next year. Amazon even has a place holder for it. Any word on that show?
Old 06-22-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Adam West's drunken commentary would be glorious.
Old 06-22-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If they could release Batman: The Movie on DVD, I don't see why this isn't at least possible. All I'm saying is, never say never. Although I just said it twice. Dammit.

Also, for future reference, please use question marks in your thread titles when asking a question about a DVD release. You're bound to upset the diehard fans (batheads?) who clicked expecting some info. They eat their young. Be careful.

K
Old 06-22-04, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
If they could release Batman: The Movie on DVD, I don't see why this isn't at least possible.
It has been released. In fact, I've seen it in Wal-mart's $5 bin.
Old 06-22-04, 08:04 PM

Batman will be on DVD eventually. The best bet is next year before/around the time of the new Batman movie. There's too much money to be made not to do it. Fox and Warner will figure it out, same as they made the Adam West movie DVD happen.
Old 06-22-04, 08:16 PM

What about Wild Wild West?
Old 06-23-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
It has been released. In fact, I've seen it in Wal-mart's $5 bin.
Re-read my post. I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

K
Old 06-23-04, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by emhello
What about Wild Wild West?
If anyone knew anything, I'm sure it would have been posted by now.
Old 06-23-04, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by DrOBoogie1
Fox and Warner will figure it out, same as they made the Adam West movie DVD happen.
Fox owns the complete rights to the movie version of Adam West's Batman, that's why that got released without problems. The TV show...that's another story.
Old 06-23-04, 08:46 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Cocopugg
Fox owns the complete rights to the movie version of Adam West's Batman, that's why that got released without problems. The TV show...that's another story.
WB owns the Batman trademark and the rights to the characters, so even if Fox owns complete rights to the movie version, there were still issues to be worked out.
Old 06-23-04, 09:24 AM

There is also the problem that one of the studio chiefs who control this area hates this show and wants to bury it. He feels rather strongly about it.
Austin
Old 06-23-04, 11:35 AM

About a year ago, I think, I read on a thread on some site that you can get some Wild Wild West episodes on DVD through the Columbia House DVD Club. I just checked the site and, sure enough, under "Classic TV" DVDs, they list the Wild Wild West as being available. But, I couldn't find any specific info on which episodes, how many episodes per disc, how many discs are available, or anything else; just that the Wild Wild West, in some form, is available on DVD. Maybe you have to be a member of the club to get access to that info, or maybe I was too stupid to figure out how to find it. They also offer Gunsmoke and Rawhide DVDs, two favorites when I was a kid, but, again, I couldn't get any details. I hope this helps, emhello. If you look this up and find out any specific info on the Wild Wild West DVDs, please pass it on. (I'd be particularly interested in the Dr Loveless episodes, especially those from the first season.)
Old 06-23-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Austin54
There is also the problem that one of the studio chiefs who control this area hates this show and wants to bury it. He feels rather strongly about it.
Austin
If he wanted it burried then I do not see why Fox was able to still have the show reruns on and don't forget about the reunion movie.

Money is money. They will be released.
Old 06-23-04, 05:09 PM

Look for the Batman TV show to hit DVD in 2005, 2006, 2007, etc, etc.

As for Warner owning the rights to the characters, they were already paid off right after the Adam West movie was done. No rights had to be worked out in order to release the movie, Fox owned it flat out. This is why the movie came out, while the TV show won't.
Old 06-23-04, 06:25 PM

Old 06-23-04, 09:13 PM
WaD

EL CID

Any word on an EL CID dvd? That's about the last remaining of my
favorite old epics that hasn't come out on dvd.
Old 06-23-04, 09:17 PM

Apparently the guy who hates the show doesn't control the syndication rights which were agreed to years before, but does control the DVD rights which have not be contracted for.
Austin
Old 06-23-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the "Warner Bros person's hate" rumor just gets bigger and bigger every time the topic of the 60s show comes up on any message board.
Old 06-24-04, 08:21 AM

Business simply isn't done by executives "hating" a property. It is done by companies figuring out how much money can be made by a property. This nonsense about execs "hating" the show or wanting to "bury" it are juvenile. The show will be out on DVD when Warner and Fox decide it is in their mutual financial interest to release it. If you want to facilitate the release, look up their snail mail addresses on the web and write them each a polite letter stating that you very much want to see the show released.
Old 06-24-04, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Quite frankly, I've given up on internet discussions of the Batman TV show. For some reason, they encourage people to report rumors as fact, say nonsensical things, or just flat out make things up like no other topic.

I mean, are people really suggesting that back in 1966, when they made the Adam West movie, Fox acquired home video rights? And then didn't acquire home video rights to the series? Or that Fox has the right to use the Batman trademark to market the DVD of the film without the express consent of Warner Brothers? Or that some un-named Warner Exec hates the Batman TV series so much that he's single-handedly holding up DVD release of the TV series? Last time, the rumored spoiler was the President of DC Comics (I know his name -- do you?), who a) doesn't have that much clout, and b) doesn't hate the Batman TV series.

The truth is almost certainly, either a) WB and Fox can't work out how to divide up the money to both parties' satisfaction, or b) WB and Fox don't think there's enough demand for this set to justify its cost, or c) some combination of a and b. But the conspiracy theories founded on a misunderstanding of corporate practices and intellectual property law are getting old.
Old 06-24-04, 10:40 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

My husband works for the Time-Warner Marketing department and is very interested in having the BATMAN series on DVD to share with our children. These will be coming out in the not-too-distant future so this is great news for all of us who are looking forward to it. For those who enjoy entertaining the thoughts that Time-Warner & Fox are conspiring to keep this from release, or that an executive is trying to stop it from release... please keep enjoying those rumors or speculations while you still can!
Old 06-25-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts
Wild, Wild West From COlumbia House.
Entire first season is on DVD.
Part of the second season is also DVD.

I have seen these DVDs selling on EBAY. Expensive!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.