DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   what do you hate most about dvds? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/370451-what-do-you-hate-most-about-dvds.html)

orangeguy 06-18-04 01:17 PM

I can't Rewind them.

RyoHazuki 06-18-04 02:19 PM

:( They don't work in my vcr.

Maxflier 06-18-04 02:36 PM

Layer changes.

TBFL 06-18-04 05:57 PM

That I don't have them all.......

Brian Shannon 06-18-04 06:06 PM

The inconsistent packaging

Drop 06-18-04 06:08 PM

Originally posted by wordtoyamotha
The inevitability that another format will one day replace them. :(
Yea, that's the one.

Tscott 06-18-04 06:30 PM

That they seem to be more prone to skipping due to smudges, fingerprints, etc. than CDs ever were.

caiman 06-18-04 07:20 PM

I hate the little dwarves that come out of the DVD cases during the night and tell me to hurt people. Beer makes them go away, but they're still quite a nuisance.

matome 06-18-04 07:21 PM

Originally posted by antennaball
The fact that I can't stop purchasing them.

Seriously.

Ain't that the truth!

gutwrencher 06-18-04 09:01 PM

again, I'm the only one I guess that really hates only one important thing. poor quality control and unsure shelf life. as far as people stressing about the next format and having to replace all their titles....thats nuts. I will never replace my entire collection. there is no reason with the exception of the disc not lasting as long as they are supposed to due to shotty work at the plants. I'll replace selected titles with the new format, but many of my titles are just fine served up on current dvd.

PopcornTreeCt 06-18-04 11:49 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
again, I'm the only one I guess that really hates only one important thing. poor quality control and unsure shelf life. as far as people stressing about the next format and having to replace all their titles....thats nuts. I will never replace my entire collection. there is no reason with the exception of the disc not lasting as long as they are supposed to due to shotty work at the plants. I'll replace selected titles with the new format, but many of my titles are just fine served up on current dvd.
:up: I don't have plans to replace to my collection when HD comes out. Maybe a few of them here and there but as long as my DVDs work, I'll watch them for many decades from now. Besides, I doubt all the extra features from current DVDs will be ported over to their new HD counterparts.

ArchibaldTuttle 06-18-04 11:56 PM

sorry but I love dvds, cept maybe that they are expensive

Leechboy 06-19-04 12:23 AM

Double sided discs, they always get a mark on them.

conscience 06-19-04 12:24 AM

Originally posted by BlackBeauty92
:lol:

for me, the Re-re-re-release of em :mad:

:thumbsup:

eau 06-19-04 12:26 AM

prone to fingerprints and scratches
rot
forced trailers

DeanoBKN 06-19-04 12:32 AM

The fact that one day, I'm probably gonna replace every single one of them with a newer format.

Also I never dared to add up exactly how much my collection cost me. Granted, it's only about 250, but on a college student's income, yikes!

svenge 06-19-04 12:57 AM

What bothers me about DVDs? The fact that some of the people putting them together (producers, company execs) care less about the presentation than they do their next 3-martini lunch.

Dammit 06-19-04 01:37 AM

The low resolution. Really that's about it. Never had a QC issue pop up yet (hopefully I won't). No disc rot, problems with scratches or smudges (just don't touch that part!). I love everything about the DVD format except I wish it was HD.

The impending format war makes me nervous and I'm a little miffed with Sony. The DVD Forum has approved AOD and not Blu-ray but Sony will release Blu-ray anyway. The studios have gone on record that they won't support one or the other. There has to be ONE standard before they jump on. This is a good thing (really, I applaud such a stance as it's the right thing to do for the consumer). BUT, this pretty much hands the format war right to Sony. They have a large library of movies that they can release themselves which means it will have at least their support right out of the gate whereas AOD will get very little. Blu-ray will almost definitely be a part of the Playstation 3 (or, as I like to call it, the Blu-ray Trojan Horse). So, Blu-ray will have instant movie support thanks to Sony's intellectual properties and near immediate market share due to the PS3. Oh well. At least the format war will be a short one.

The only reason I'm a little "miffed" with Sony over this is, they seem to be intent on marketing Blu-ray as a completely new type of format using buzzwords like "interactivity" that none of them really understand how to use or make practical. AOD (HD-DVD) was looking like it was going to be marketed simply as an upgrade to an already wildy popular and successful format. I think that would be the best way to go.

Sorry about the little mini-rant. :p

Tracer Bullet 06-19-04 01:42 AM

Overly complicated menus (see Buffy season two or Simpsons season two) are my biggest hatred.

Other than that... nothing really. I don't mind rereleases, because there are only a few movies I'd be interested in expanded special features/commentaries/documentaries for.

Tread 06-19-04 01:53 AM

They don't taste good in soup.

Really, like one previous poster said: Looking at my collection and realizing how much I could have put to better use.

But hey, there's a 20% off at DDD! No time to kick the habit right now.

OREOSpeedwagon 06-19-04 06:07 AM

Originally posted by Tread

But hey, there's a 20% off at DDD! No time to kick the habit right now.

omg there is? dammit just as I was starting to get control of the addiction...

phr33k 06-19-04 06:21 AM

20% Off! w00t

Mr. Cinema 06-19-04 07:12 AM

now more than ever, finding fingerprints and scratches on new discs. for some reason, new dvds are much more likely to have them than cds. something I will never figure out...

Kris81 06-19-04 09:37 AM

The fact they're so expensive. If you think about it, how much does the average DVD cost to make? crazy markup if you ask me!

Fincher Fan 06-19-04 11:13 AM

They're tough to chew.