"Real" Superbits

Community
Search

"Real" Superbits

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Real" Superbits

I've seen some Superbit titles regarded as "untrue" additions to the line, mainly brand new films like Punch Drunk Love, Panic Room, and Adaptation. I realize that these films are brand new and have never before been released on DVD, so do they not share the same benefits of the Superbit technology that films like Starship Troopers, Lawrence of Arabia, and Dracula do?
Old 06-17-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure what you mean. Superbit is a brand name and the three films you name all have it.
Old 06-17-04, 08:01 PM
Suspended

What?
Old 06-17-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the problem most people have the titles you mentioned (Punch Drunk Love excluded) is that they think the Superbit is more or less a marketing ploy to try to promote a bare-bones DVD as being something special, when in reality the difference in audio/video quality of say Panic Room: Superbit and bare-bones new release DVD from another company is probably minimal.

Personally I don't care either way since although I do like to have the highest audio/video quality possible, I don't really have reference quality hardware so slight improvements aren't usually noticeable by me anyway.
Old 06-17-04, 09:35 PM

http://www.superbitdvd.com

there's one this is not listed here though that just came out last week. Black Hawk Down.

Last edited by orangeguy; 06-17-04 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-17-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
It might help you to understand that Superbit is less a technology and more of a methodology. (yes, some of you have corrected me about filtering and what not, but you know what I mean). Any studio could release a "superbit" title, only Sony CTS is marketing it. The titles you mentioned didn't have extras, or were too long to put them, so rather than just dump them barebones, they called them Superbit. Since they do have the DTS and higher bitrate and all that, they seem to be Superbits to me. Course, I don't buy into the hype, but I have picked up some titles I want that I could get.
Old 06-18-04, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by orangeguy
http://www.superbitdvd.com

there's one this is not listed here though that just came out last week. Black Hawk Down.
Probably just haven't updated their site yet.