Community
Search

Knight Rider S1 tidbits!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04, 02:35 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knight Rider S1 tidbits!

This is from the Knight Rider Online message forums, from one of the dev team that worked on KR season 1. I thought you might like a look. . . .

Having worked on the Knight Rider: Season One DVD bonus features, I'm gratified to see that everyone here seems happy about what's going on the discs. I wanted to let everyone know how much the people at Universal care about what they put on their discs. (I can say this. I don't work for Universal, though they do contract me for special features.) These folks care about this show and really want to give the fans the best they can.

In this package, you'll get a documentary on the show called "Under the Hood." David and Glen were both a part of this, as well as Joe Huth. We also did a short doc about the stunts with Jack Gill and got the story on the music from Stu Phillips. Glen Larson and David provided the pilot commentary together. It was a joy to watch the two of them reminisce. They're magic together.

David, Glen, Stu and Jack were all so helpful and so much fun to work with. David looks better than ever and is very charming and funny. I can't wait to see where he turns up next. A huge thanks goes out to Joe Huth who kept us honest and informed.

On a personal note, I really wanted to put together features that would make you fans happy. Every day I worked on this project, I thought about the people who love this show and have been waiting for these DVDs for years. You guys were the inspiration for all the work, the care and the love that went into these DVDs.
And a little bit later, he had this follow up:

If you guys like the discs, you should send a short note or e-mail to Universal Studios Home Video DVD Production department. Let them know they did something right. These guys really work hard to give the fans the best they can. If you ever see a "lean" DVD from Universal, there's usually a reason. Either talent declined to participate, legal issues or material are unavailable. These are really good people there.

I'm glad I could clear up the specifics on the documentaries. As for the commentary, it was recorded by Glen and David as they watched the whole pilot. I think there are just a few places where they skip. Otherwise, it was the two of them sitting through the whole pilot. They were very funny and insightful. I think everyone will love the commentary.

Here the answers to your other questions:

* Did your company work on the items on the DVD itself or the complete package, exterior and all?
I only worked on the programs. I delivered the master tapes and my job was done. I'm thrilled, though, with what Universal is doing for the box and menus. I also did the programs on Quantum Leap and was thrilled with Universal's packaging. (Though I have no say on any of that.)

* Were you given access to the Universal archives?
I tried to use everything possible I found in the archives. I've included a gallery of set plans and photographs that were shot on set. I was thrilled to find these in the vaults. I tried to put everything i could on the disc and present it in an interesting way.

* How was the quality of the masters for the episode, was any restoration need?
The masters may have been fixed after I finished. The screeners I watched looked good.

* Also, have you been contracted for future reasons, do you have any info the possibility of their release?
I haven't been asked to do any future seasons yet, but I hope to... and I have ideas!

I'm sure that if fan response is positive and sales look good, there will be more seasons coming! In the meantime, I hope everyone enjoys watching the shows again and the special features. My goal was to make even the most hardcore fan say, "Hey, I never knew THAT!"
So it looks like it's shaping up to be a great set! I cant wait!
Old 06-17-04, 03:01 PM

Bring it on! I can hardly wait!
Old 06-17-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who would win? Airwolf or KITT? I got to give the advantage to AirWolf..I mean they had Ernest Borgnine for God's Sake.
Old 06-17-04, 03:40 PM

Ernest Borgnine = a win?