Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

how do they make bootlegs BEFORE the movie even comes out?!!!

Community
Search

how do they make bootlegs BEFORE the movie even comes out?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts
I think the main problem lies with the attitude of the consumers. Over here most people are willing to buy the official DVD or watch it in theatres even if bootlegs or downloads are available. Honestly buying a couple bootlegs on a trip to Hong Kong or downloading them isn't going to cripple the industry. I'm sure many of us have done the same thing. As an example I saw Return of the King in theatres twice had a bootleg and bought the official DVD the day it came out and will buy the giftset when that comes out so the bootleg doesn't really even factor. I'm not defending bootleggers but the industry needs to realize that it is mainly the attitude of the people in different countries that contribute to them losing billions. Many more people watch their movies on a bootleg over there when compared to stateside.
Old 06-17-04, 03:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are very right. The bootlegging that hurts the industry the most is the kind of viewer who never goes to the movie theater and never buys legit copies. The viewer who only watches movies that are bootlegs never contributes a penny to the filmmakers.

In many countries the bootlegging industry is so vast and so out in the open that many people don't even know what they're buying are bootlegs. I read an article somewhere about Hong Kong bootlegging and most of the consumers that were polled were completely unaware that the films they were buying were bootlegs. People said they'd been shoping there for years and had no idea that all these cheap movies were illegal .
Old 06-17-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,550 Posts
Yes, and look what the rampant bootlegging has done to the Hong Kong film industry, which used to be a lot stronger than it is now. (the Chinese handover in 1997 and exodus of talent to Hollywood was only partially responsible).
Old 06-17-04, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most boots that get sold come from telecine video sources of the original film and are synched to actual theater DTS discs. There really is no difference between them and studio released DVD-5's except maybe the bitrate of the video will run in 3500-4500 range intstead of 5000+ and they usually are not anamorphic.
Old 06-17-04, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would classify bootlegs in different categories, if we were to really analyse the subject. I'd say there are five categories:

1) videocamera captures of actual films played in theatres. They are usually the first to appear on the streets as VCDs or DVDs, as well as on the Internet. Example: "The Day After Tomorrow"

2) copies of industry screeners and/or studio versions. Usually good quality, sometimes with a message scrolling on the image every now and then. When on DVD, they are barebone releases, with DD sound. A recent example would be "The Last Samurai"

3) copies of not-yet-released on DVD films, but which have been pressed already and are being distributed over as period of several weeks. These are bit-by-bit copies of what you'll get in stores, say a month from now. Example: "Bad Sants: Unrated Edition"

4) Outright bit-by-bit copies of already-released DVDs, usually films in great demand, like Criterion' s "Salo"

5) and finally, DVDs mastered from other sources, without correspondence on the "official" market, like the recent releases of "Star Wars: Original Trilogy Collector's Edition" and "Blade Runner - Theatrical Version"

I think they respond to very different needs and appeal to very different markets. But I'd think those in category 1) and 4) are the most damaging to the industry.