Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Full details on the Old School Star Trek - with release date!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-04, 07:17 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend fowarded this to me (I think he found it on /. ) from Star Trek.com. Looks like the 100 buck price point was the winner.

Paramount Home Entertainment delivers the highly anticipated Star Trek — The Complete First Season on DVD this August 31, in an 8-disc collectible box set. The box will contain all 29 episodes — in airdate order — from Season One of the original Star Trek series, along with newly produced bonus features exclusive to this DVD release.

The contents of the DVDs are as follows:
Disc 1: "The Man Trap,” "Charlie X,” "Where No Man Has Gone Before,”* "The Naked Time”

Disc 2: "The Enemy Within,” "Mudd's Women,” "What Are Little Girls Made Of?” "Miri”

Disc 3: "Dagger of the Mind,” "The Corbomite Maneuver,” "The Menagerie, Part I,”* The Menagerie, Part II”*

Disc 4: "The Conscience of the King,”* "Balance of Terror,” "Shore Leave,” "The Galileo Seven”

Disc 5: "The Squire of Gothos,” "Arena,” "Tomorrow is Yesterday,” "Court Martial”

Disc 6: "The Return of the Archons,” "Space Seed,” "A Taste of Armageddon,” "This Side of Paradise”

Disc 7: "The Devil in the Dark,” "Errand of Mercy,” "The Alternative Factor,” "The City on the Edge of Forever”

Disc 8: "Operation: Annihilation”
* These four episodes have text commentary by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda

Disc 8 of the DVD also includes the following special features:
• The Birth of a Timeless Legacy: The definitive telling of how it all began: from the first pilot, "The Cage,” to reshooting the pilot with William Shatner, to the many challenges leading up to its premiere on NBC in 1966. Included are interviews with cast and network executives and producers. Also featured are new interviews with William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and Robert Justman.

• Life Beyond Trek: William Shatner: Featured on each volume, this featurette follows one principal cast member around on their most current film and TV projects, charity events, conventions, trips, or hobbies. In Season One, William Shatner gives viewers an exclusive invitation to his ranch to discuss his love of horses.

• To Boldly Go …: Includes discussion of "The Naked Time,” "The City on the Edge of Forever,” "The Devil in the Dark” and "The Squire of Gothos” by cast and production crew members.

• Reflections on Spock: Leonard Nimoy discusses his character in depth, and explains why he chose to write two different books on the subject: "I Am Not Spock" and "I Am Spock."

• Sci-Fi Visionaries: A look at Star Trek's famous writers, featuring interviews with Gene Coon, Harlan Ellison, George Clayton Thomas, Richard Matheson, D.C. Fontana, Gene Roddenberry, Bob Justman and John D.F. Black.

• Original Preview Trailers

• Photo Log

This DVD set should retail for around $100. It is presented in full-screen format and in Dolby Digital English 5.1 and English Dolby Surround. The DVDs are subtitled in English and closed-captioned for the hearing-impaired.
Frankly you can keep all your Next Generations and Star Trek: Lost in Space - only the Kirk and the Spock do it for me. Just this release and the animated series - and then then show is dead to me.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 06-15-04 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-15-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Full details on the Old School Star Trek - with release date!

Originally posted by El-Kabong
only the Kirk and the Spock do it for me.
I hope you got enough K-Y gelly.
Old 06-15-04, 08:08 PM

I don't collect TV series sets, but I'll be getting this one.
Old 06-15-04, 08:09 PM

I hope you got enough K-Y gelly
Umm...if you were trying to be funny, jelly is spelled with a "J" nimrod.

And thanks El-Kabong...great news about the old school Trek season sets.
Old 06-15-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WEEEEEEEE! Scotty, Beam me up!
Old 06-15-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've just started getting the TNG sets, now I have to get these too. wow, this could be expensive!!
Old 06-15-04, 08:43 PM

Expensivo

Take heart-- at least TOS only lasted three seasons!

Whereas Voyager got seven... no justice at all.

Carthago Delinda Est,

CS
Old 06-15-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Awesome! I don't collect a lot of TV series either, but this is a must for me. I had been thinking about picking up the 40 individually released discs, but this will be so much better! I'm glad I held off. And for the record, I'm with you El-Kabong--only the original series and cast for me.
Old 06-15-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While i'm excited this is coming it also kind of kills me that i bought almost all of the 40 discs. Oh well, i suppose i at least got to enjoy them for a good long while before these will come out. Too bad now i'll probably never be able to find the 6 i'm missing.
Old 06-15-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
I would love to have a Harlan Ellison commentary on "City on the Edge of Forever." I've read the book, but it would be funny to hear it from the man himself.
Old 06-15-04, 09:44 PM
Cool New Member

i hope nobody buys this..so then paramount could know that they are wasting time on putting extras on this and further neglecting my bloody valentine,friday the 13th1-8 and april fools day
Old 06-15-04, 09:57 PM
Banned

oh yeah! I been waitin for this one for a good while! Old School Trek...
Old 06-15-04, 10:30 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by deepest blue
i hope nobody buys this..so then paramount could know that they are wasting time on putting extras on this and further neglecting my bloody valentine,friday the 13th1-8 and april fools day
?!?

Woah - way to thread crap.
Old 06-15-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by deepest blue
Yeah, thats gonna happen.
Old 06-15-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Why airdate order? I've been on the fence about these forever and I just fell off - on the side of sticking with the single disc releases. I've got about ten of the 40, and with the season sets, the single discs are going to flood the used market.

Good news about the animated series though.
Old 06-16-04, 12:26 AM

I'm glad I held off on the single discs. Now we get extras and everything. I'll gladly pay for these.
Old 06-16-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
$100

I guess they know how to keep getting money out of the dwindling Star Trek fan base.

I would have been interested although at that price I will pass on them. I will just keep my eyes out for the remaining single discs I need and hope I can get the episodes that way.
Old 06-16-04, 02:14 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by gcribbs
$100

I guess they know how to keep getting money out of the dwindling Star Trek fan base.

I would have been interested although at that price I will pass on them. I will just keep my eyes out for the remaining single discs I need and hope I can get the episodes that way.
Well, in that I only have the special edition movies and a handful of the singles discs that I got for free, I'm not so bad off. I havent sunk a fortune into Next Gen, DS9 or Lost In Space, so I think I can afford to spring for 300 bucks for the series.

(Well, 400 if you count the Animated series - which mark my words will be 100 bucks too)

As for air date vs production order, why the beef? Aside from an extra button press on the remote to see them in the "right" order I dont see why that's such a big deal. Sides - its not like we're watching B5 or something. The episodes are pretty interchangeable with each other.
Old 06-16-04, 05:45 AM

Anyone else a little pissed off about this? I mean, I bought all 40 individual discs a while back, and while I certainly didn't pay the MSRP, they were pretty expensive. And now we get this, which will be quite a bit cheaper, and take up less room on the shelf, and it has a bunch of extras (the original discs had essentially nothing).

It's not that I begrudge anyone the chance to get these discs or anything. I've always been a little angry about the way they handled the original series discs, and now to have them re-release them so soon and in such a better way, it seems almost like a betrayal.
Old 06-16-04, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by icruise
Anyone else a little pissed off about this? I mean, I bought all 40 individual discs a while back, and while I certainly didn't pay the MSRP, they were pretty expensive. And now we get this, which will be quite a bit cheaper, and take up less room on the shelf, and it has a bunch of extras (the original discs had essentially nothing).
I had the complete run of the 40 discs up until a few months back. Once I heard it was a done-deal and the original Trek would be released in boxsets, I put them all up on Half.com. They sold like hot cakes and I didn't lose any money on them. So, to answer your question: No.
Old 06-16-04, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Great news -and with a MSRP of $100, we'll probably find these in the $60-70 range.
Old 06-16-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by marty888
Great news -and with a MSRP of $100, we'll probably find these in the $60-70 range.
It's says it will retail for $100. I'm pretty sure that's the same thing that's been said about all of the sets so far.
Old 06-16-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
It's says it will retail for $100. I'm pretty sure that's the same thing that's been said about all of the sets so far.
I believe MSRP of (at least TNG) is $129.99.

Anyway, great news. Can't wait.
Old 06-16-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No "Cage"
Old 06-16-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Sweet Fancy Moses, very exciting news!

I'm a ST:TOS-only fan, too. I'm delighted to see this series FINALLY get released as it should. Lost In Space Season 1 boxset and Star Trek:TOS season 1 set all in the same year?! Wow.

Am I pissed off at the re-release of the series? Absolutely not. Anyone not blinded by their fanaticism for the series could see that $12-16 for a 2 episode disc was way too expensive. I bought only 1 disc... the one with "Space Seed" as a sort of companion to the Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan - SE.

The same is true for Speed Racer. A few years back a special DVD set of the series was selling for $300. It is now being sold at more reasonable prices.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.