Community
Search

Dead Like Me--good blind buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 09:28 PM
AOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Like Me--good blind buy?

Title says it all. I don't usually ask about blind buys, but with this show I haven't even seen one episode. I hear a ton of people talking about this show. I don't have Showtime, but I did see a few clips on Showtime's website. Any opinions? Should I get it?

By the way, the best price I found was $29.99 at www.outpost.com. It's run by Fry's, so it could be the same price in-store. Thanks.
Old 06-14-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I was wondering the same thing since I have never seen an episode-also.
Old 06-14-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i am still considering it i have love on it to use. i did see the first episode or two and it wasnt that great so i dunno. jasmine guy was annoying to me so i dunno if it gets better or not.
Old 06-14-04, 10:09 PM

I loved the series myself, and looking forward to season 2.
so i would say yes.
Old 06-15-04, 05:31 AM

Well I'm blind buying the series as well, so I hope its good. I read alot of reviews before pre-ordering it, so I'm sure I'm making the right decision....hopefully. I've never bought anything blind before!

Last edited by Sir_Fireboard; 06-15-04 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-15-04, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'll be picking this up blind today as well.

looking forward to checking it out after all the raves.
Old 06-15-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I can't recommend this set enough.
I went into it blind, and loved it, as did my family.

Funny, weird and extremely well done.

Here's my full review of Dead Like Me:S1, if you're bored

Last edited by Pointyskull; 06-15-04 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-15-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ordered it a few weeks ago and I've never seen the show. The comedy and tone of the show sounds good to me even if it is a drama at times and I rarely enjoy those.

Hopefully it'll be in today and I can add it to the stack. I might watch one episode and if it's as good as I hope it'll get put on the top of the stack.
Old 06-15-04, 12:53 PM

Is it only $29.99? If so, it is probably worth it.

It isn't the greatest series. I have Showtime and it wasn't a must watch for me. But on the few times I watched it, it could have been a lot worse.

It's about a B- show. Nothing you HAVE to buy, but I don't think it would be a bad blind buy.
Old 06-15-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When I originally heard all the press about the show last summer, I thought it looked horrible. But then I saw an article in the newspaper that made me watch the Pilot. The title of the article was "My So Called After-Life." So since im a die-hard fan of "my so called life" i checked it out. The show turned out to be a really funny (black comedy though) quirky show (even if it seems like a comedy version of six feet under, it isn't). But the one thing i do have to say negatively, is that it is not anything like my so called life.
Old 06-15-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought it blind and have watched the pilot and the first episode. So far, so good!
Old 06-16-04, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

watched the pilot and the first two eps and i don't think this is gonna do it for me.

i'm hesitant to write it off completely, because there were other shows recently (both Alias and Freaks & Geeks) that took me more than 3 eps to get acclimated to their own particular rhythms and charms...but there are qualities to the show that after 3 hours are starting to rub me the wrong way.

the biggest problem i have is the language(dialouge).
the other is the lack of really compelling or interesting, or even very likable, characters.
in regards to the former- coming off of a Buffy jag where i went thru 2 1/2 seasons in short time, i realize now just how exceptional the writing for that show is- just because that show makes it look effortless, i think i took it for granted.
just having characters comment ironically on their situation does not make for compelling dialouge.
i get a good laugh when a character refers to George as 'toilet seat', but most of the time it just seemed like the banter back and forth is cranky and smart-assed with the intention of being hip and cool.
that, and being liberally laced with profanity.
this second point is really disappointing.
i'm not a prude, but it is easy to recognize that while an infusion of profanity into most casual conversations might appear to be more realistic, it is also far less creative and interesting.
one reason why i'm much more impressed with the writing of something like Buffy- which can't rely on the 'cheap thrills' of tossing off a F*** You.
if i was about 11 or 12, though, i'm sure i would think the 'natural' languge choices here was a sign of adult sophistication.
now that i'm an adult though, i know better.
just strikes me as lazy and obvious now.

as it is, it looks like the show is a cross between Final Destination , the book The Lovely Bones, cross pollinated by way of Buffy (a group of characters [including the obligitory young Brit male, and the shallow hot chick] engaged in a fantastical enterprise, with one older authority figure who all meet regularly in a stock setting and comment on things in a pithy, irreverant manner).
not a total write-off for me yet, but a little less stimulating that i was hoping for.
i paid a little more than $30 for it ($54 at B&N with their buy 2 get one free sale)- which may be why i'm jumping the gun and being a little more critical so early.

i will say though that i agree with all the positive comments in regards to the transfer.
the picture quality is for the most part , superb.
if everything looked this good, i would never see a need for HD. this is as good as i expect this format to get.

Last edited by ckolchak; 06-16-04 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-16-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I like it for all the same reasons ckolchak doesn't.

I guess at 32, I'm still not an adult...
Old 06-16-04, 11:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's a great show, and I enjoy watching it on Showtime quite a bit. But it doesn't have a lot of "rewatchablilty" to it, so I won't be buying the DVDs.

The show gets better as time goes by and the characters are better established. The first few episodes are more about "What happens when you do this?" and "What happens if you do that?"

My recommendation: Rent first
Old 06-16-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

as it is, it looks like the show is a cross between Final Destination , the book The Lovely Bones, cross pollinated by way of Buffy (a group of characters [including the obligitory young Brit male, and the shallow hot chick] engaged in a fantastical enterprise, with one older authority figure who all meet regularly in a stock setting and comment on things in a pithy, irreverant manner).
watched a few more eps (finished off the second disc) and i probably should change the comparison to Alley McBeal rather than Buffy.
a very caustic, sour Alley McBeal.
Old 06-16-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know why, but the way the narration reminds me a little of Fight Club in its style. This is one of the many reasons I dig this show.
Old 06-16-04, 07:36 PM
AOD

I ended up getting it and I must say it is quit good. There's something about it I just can't put my finger on. I thought it was an iteresting concept that plays out good on the screen and the transfer is equally impressive. Overall I am glad I did a blind buy on this one. For $29.99 at Fry's I thought it was a good deal.
Old 06-16-04, 10:49 PM
Defunct Account

I had never seen this show before the review set turned up on my doorstep and I really like it. I'd say go for it.

You can read the compleate review here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=11044
Old 06-17-04, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I watched a few epsiodes when originally broadcast, and wandered away. Not terrible, but not anything that captured my interest or imagination. An ok time-filler at best.
Old 06-17-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My copy showed up a day later than I had hoped but I got to sit down and watch a bit. I watched the pilot with the wife. She didn't care for it but I was curious to see more. She went to bed and I told her I'd be right there. I ended up finishing disc 2 before I finally went to sleep that night.

It's not the best show ever but it's way better than my last TV show blind buy, The Office, so I'm pretty happy.

It's more drama than I'm used but for the most part I like the cast and it just seems to work for me.
Old 06-18-04, 05:29 PM

I'm torn a bit. If it were cheaper, I would probably pick it up.
It is no Nip/Tuck however!