Community
Search

I was sold a bootlegged copy of Mystic river on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 03:19 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was sold a bootlegged copy of Mystic river on ebay

Atleast i think so. The cover art is differnt Looks like this one http://dvdcoverart.com/dvdcoverart/showitem.php?id=9957

The back is differnt thouh.

it has no book and he said it was brand new. it has no special features but it does have an interactive menu whats weird is it has subtitles from chineese thia french and spanish.. it says DTS on the top AND IT SAYS ITS RATED PG!!! On the back ... what should i do.!?

also on the dvd it says DVD 9..
Old 06-14-04, 03:40 AM
Suspended

You Got Served!

But seriously, you need to either confront the seller and demand your money back, or report the jackass to ebay.
Old 06-14-04, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What he said.
Old 06-14-04, 04:23 AM
Banned

I always check amazon or any of the national online retailers and examine the cover before buying a dvd at ebay.

Most of the bootleg dvd will have DTS Surround Sound on the top of the cover artwork to make it look like it was authentic

If you don't see the DTS label on the cover of the dvd at amazon you know it is a fake.
Old 06-14-04, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
You Got Served!

But seriously, you need to either confront the seller and demand your money back, or report the jackass to ebay.
Oh it's on!

yeah, just confront the seller. if he gives you the run around take it straight up to the heads. if you paid via pay pal there is some fun you can do through that.
Old 06-14-04, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just warned people in a thread over in the bargains section. There are a ton of bootleg Mystic River dvds on ebay currently. Stay away from buying this movie on ebay for the time being. Even if the seller has good feedback.....does not always mean anything. If you actually read some of the feedback....you will see some saying they were happy with the speed of delivery etc...but not happy with the dvd being a copy or asian release.

Caveat Emptor as Mr. Brady taught Greg Brady.
Old 06-14-04, 05:18 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by corycouger
I always check amazon or any of the national online retailers and examine the cover before buying a dvd at ebay.

Most of the bootleg dvd will have DTS Surround Sound on the top of the cover artwork to make it look like it was authentic

If you don't see the DTS label on the cover of the dvd at amazon you know it is a fake.
\

Yup it says DTS on the top of the dvd... and i payed through paypal.. Can i report this to the fbi or something lmao
Old 06-14-04, 07:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Huh? Of all the movies to be widely bootlegged, this would not be my first choice.
Old 06-14-04, 07:40 AM

Just because a dvd is from a different country doesn't necessarily mean it's a bootleg. They do have dvds in toher countries you know. Before you buy check if the seller has a picture and is honest about where it came from. Ebay is not the cheapest place to get dvds. Try half.com or Amazon Market before you go to ebay.

Last edited by orangeguy; 06-14-04 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-14-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So in other countries Mystic River is rated PG?

It's a bootleg, dude.
Old 06-14-04, 08:40 AM

Out of curiousity.... why on earth would you buy this DVD on eBay anyway? It's plentiful and very cheap in just about any store.
Old 06-14-04, 03:05 PM

That's my question. $15.88 at WalMart last week.
Old 06-14-04, 04:21 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whenever I shop at ebay, I purposely look for the description of the discs being a genuine R1 version, with the correct UPC and all that. If the item ain't saying so, it ain't get any bid from me.
Old 06-14-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by pdjennings
Out of curiousity.... why on earth would you buy this DVD on eBay anyway? It's plentiful and very cheap in just about any store.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Ebay, for me, is an absolute LAST resort.
Old 06-14-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by eau
Whenever I shop at ebay, I purposely look for the description of the discs being a genuine R1 version, with the correct UPC and all that. If the item ain't saying so, it ain't get any bid from me.
You also may want to consider expanding that to looking at people's feedback ratings.

Some sellers (like me) don't bother plastering our auctions with a bunch of "Not a bootleg! Genuine R1!" stuff. I just let my feedback speak for itself.
Old 06-14-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Bootleggers are absolultey killing me on eBay. I would say that I'm taking about a 15-20% reduction in bid amounts thanks to bootleggers. I am having to provide an actual picture and write specifically OFFICIAL R1 release. It's getting ridiculous.
Old 06-15-04, 02:49 AM
Banned

Ebay won't do anything.

They will tell you to work it out between you and the seller.
Old 06-15-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, let me try pretending to be surprised. Why buy a DVD on eBay anyway, especially a brand-new release? I can understand trying to buy an OOP disc on eBay, but a new release??
Old 06-15-04, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by bboisvert
You also may want to consider expanding that to looking at people's feedback ratings.

Some sellers (like me) don't bother plastering our auctions with a bunch of "Not a bootleg! Genuine R1!" stuff. I just let my feedback speak for itself.
Doesn't really mean much, i've run across more then one bootlegger with perfect feedback in the hundreds, best thing to do is simply know the specs of what you're buying.