Search

McDonalds to rent DVDs (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-04, 06:22 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ukywyldcat
Hmmm...just something else to add that will lead to some ridiculous and outlandish lawsuit against them from the losers that dine on their food regularly.
Possibly they could rent fitness/exercise oriented DVDs for free when you buy enough fattening fries and burgers
Old 05-24-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The end of BlockBuster?

$1 video rentals with your BigMac? Check out this article at CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/0...eut/index.html

Don't know if anything about this has been posted before, but I thought it was rather interesting. What if it moves beyond MacDonalds and we find these at every fast food franchise? If this catches on and goes nationwide, think about what it portends for BB and other video establishments, especially the few Mom & Pop outfits still around.

However, without membership or late fees, I'm at a loss to see how they can rent for a $1 and make money. They can't be renting the latest megabudget blackbusters.

Thoughts?
Old 05-24-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=365864
Old 05-24-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They simply could not offer the selection that a video store could. BB is safe. If anything online rentals pose more of a threat, but then, people still like the ability to have something NOW, without waiting several days.
Old 05-24-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

asianxcore,
Of course. Thought I checked out the forum before posting. Naturally, I came across it right after starting this one.

DodgingCars,
The selection has to be limited, but I think if this takes off, its going to have some impact on video rental stores.
Old 05-24-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blockbuster will never go under because McDonalds will be multitasking and not offer the same selection as blockbuster does. Older titles will not exist. it will be only new releases and bigger names.
Old 05-24-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can see the convenience factor being a hit with some people, but I just don't see most people going to a McDonalds to rent a movie, then deciding to get a BigMac, fries and a drink while they're at it. If McDonalds thinks this is going to get people into their stores, I think it's going to flop big, IMHO.

That said, if this becomes successful enough to roll out on a nationwide basis, then BB and others are going to be impacted, no question about it.

One more thing, if this is successful, just think of the possibilities for other fast food franchises. SubWay could target the health crowd with exercise videos; Kyoto Bowl could target anime fans; etc., etc.
Old 05-24-04, 10:16 PM

BBV must die. Long live Hollywood Video/DVD....
Old 05-24-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talk about jumping from the fire pan into the fire.
Old 05-24-04, 11:05 PM

Speaking of McDonalds and DVDs everyone go see the new documentry "Supersize Me" about a guy that eats nothing but McDicks for a month its absolutely hilarious and makes you think too. Heres the website:
http://www.supersizeme.com/home.aspx?page=defaultpage
I highly recommend it.
Old 05-25-04, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Jon2
I can see the convenience factor being a hit with some people, but I just don't see most people going to a McDonalds to rent a movie, then deciding to get a BigMac, fries and a drink while they're at it. If McDonalds thinks this is going to get people into their stores, I think it's going to flop big, IMHO.
You're missing where this benefits their business model. You go to McDonald's to get dinner, see they have the latest DVD release available to rent for $1, so you rent it. To this point, you're right, they haven't increased their sales or profit.

But, the next day you have to return the DVD, so as you pull into the parking lot to drop it off you decide "Heck I'm here, I may as well get a drink/some fries/a burger/a pie." Whether it's meal-time or just a between meal snack or drink, a lot of people will probably grab a little something when they make that extra trip back to return their movie.

And once people are aware that McDonald's has the latest DVD's there will be the occassional individual that will decide to go to McDonald's (instead of Wendy's, Burger King, Carl's, etc.) so they can get their food and movie in one stop.

But by far the biggest benefit will be the way this forces you into returning to the McDonald's parking lot the next day... A good number of those return trips are going to result in an impulse sale...
Old 05-25-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
I'm going to make a documentary about me watching nothing but McDonalds DVDs for 30 days . . .