Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Does anybody know how this spaghetti western set is?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-04, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iīm thinking about buying this set here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...132257-8295806

I havenīt seen any of the movies in it, but after reading about them I feel confident that Iīll like them. What Iīm curious about is the quality of the set itself. I canīt see if the titles are anamorphic, or to what extent the films have been remastered re. sound and video quality. Iīd be grateful for any input.
Old 05-23-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have it and love it. I recommend Blue Underground's Spaghetti Western Collection also:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

I'd get the BU set first, then the AB set.
Old 05-23-04, 07:54 AM

Funny you should mention that, since Iīm getting it in the same shipment actually. However, Iīve been able to find lots of reviews for the BU set, I havenīt been able to find anything on the OUATII set.
Old 05-23-04, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably because all the AB have been released before. The new set is just a re-packaging of all of them together.
Old 05-23-04, 08:10 AM

Tell me, are the titles anamorphic, and how is the picture/audio quality? Plus, are there any subtitles?
Old 05-23-04, 11:02 AM

I have all 5 Titles from their original release ..All are anamorphic & look & sound great ..Most if not all have English Dub & Italian tracks (with English Subs)...Four for the Apoocalypse has some restored scenes that are Italian only (eng Sub) as they were never dubbed & released in english
Old 05-23-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Does anybody know how this spaghetti western set is?

Discussed in this thread.....

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=338221
Old 05-23-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really enjoyed the first two movies in the set (Bullet for the General and Companeros) but couldn't get into the other three. I've got the set up for sale in the exchange forum if anyone's interested...
Old 05-23-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Does anybody know how this spaghetti western set is?

Originally posted by ThriceDamned
Iīm thinking about buying this set here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...132257-8295806

I havenīt seen any of the movies in it, but after reading about them I feel confident that Iīll like them. What Iīm curious about is the quality of the set itself. I canīt see if the titles are anamorphic, or to what extent the films have been remastered re. sound and video quality. Iīd be grateful for any input.
I have the set & love it. I had a couple of the original releases & the rest I figured I'd buy eventually but once this set came out, I liked how it looked so I just bought the box set.

The picture quality on all of the movies is phenomenal, anamorphic widescreen on all of them. Subtitles on all of the movies that are not in English. There are several extras/interviews w/ Nero & Millian which are great b/c they are 2 of the most arrogant stars you'll ever see. I think it's Keoma that has the commentary by the director.

As for the movies themselves in case you've never seen them.

BULLET FOR THE GENERAL - The only film in the set I never liked. Kind of boring with no outstanding performances. Is probably more of the politically minded Spahettis though. It's not a bad movie, I just don't like it.

Companeros - My 4th all-time favorite spaghetti western & by far one of the greatest movie team ups of all-time. They just don't get better than this. Nero & Millian are SOOOO cocky & arrogant & play off each other as good as any duo in the history of film IMO. It's great to hear Nero use his own voice also. Both are truly brilliant everytime I watch the movie I go back & forth of who my favorite in the movie is. Millian does a lot of improv, I think he actually gives the better performance. One of the more lighthearted spaghettis. There is a lot of humor. Also has one of my favorite scores EVER by Moricone. The theme always get's stuck in my head.

Four of the Apocalypse - A lot of people hate this movie. I actually like it quite a bit. I'm a huge Fulci fan & dig how you can see bits & pieces of what he will develope into. Again, another great small character by Millian. He sort of reminds me of a sadastic Jack Sparrow. The music is EXTREMELY annoying though.

Keoma - Another amazing Nero performance, pretty much the last truly great film of the genre. This one really has some great directorial moments. Probably the most american feeling of all the movies in this set.

Texas, Adio - That Nero guy again. A solid movie.
Old 05-23-04, 01:00 PM

Wow...thanks a lot. You just clinched it for me. Iīm getting this set for sure now (along with the BU set)
Old 05-23-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought this at a flew market a couple of weeks ago for $30 sealed, and I just finished watching all the movies yesterday. Great set and quality is very good and I couldn't be happier for it, specially at the paid price.

Texas, Adios - My favorite of all, great storyline and acting.

A Bullet for the General - My 2nd favorite from the 5. Great acting, specially from Gian Maria Volante

Four of the Apocalypse - Good movie directed by Lucio Fulci, it even has a scene of cannibalism.

Keoma - It started out OK, but I've seen better Franco Nero movies.

Compaņeros - The weakest of the bunch. I don't really like comedy westerns.
Old 05-24-04, 01:04 AM

I did a price serch for this on DDD and found

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ABD012436

the pic isn't the same but the discription is. Plus it's around $20 less. Anyone know if this is the same set?
Old 05-24-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by shawagg

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=ABD012436

the pic isn't the same but the discription is. Plus it's around $20 less. Anyone know if this is the same set?
That's the one. I ordered it from DDD myself.

DJ
Old 05-24-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by shawagg

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=ABD012436

That should be the same set. I preordered one from DDD and it was the new box set. They are using the wrong cover art on the website.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 05-24-04 at 01:27 AM.