Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What $$$ Do You Use for Your DVD Purchases?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Title basically says it all. There are a lot of college kids, twentysomethings and adults here, so I expect answers to vary a bit. Do you set aside any given amount for your DVDs? Do you use money you get from your job? If so, how much and why? Do you take on extra tasks and odd jobs to support your DVD buying? Just curious. I, myself, not having what most would consider to be a real job (I sell frequently on eBay), use a sizeable deal of what I get from there to put towards my DVD purchases, but make sure there's enough left over to put back into my little eBay venture, the bank and towards other vices and addictions (my car, clothes, spare cash, etc.).

Figured this could spur some interesting discussion, since I'm sure there are a lot of you who spend most of your paycheck on DVDs, while others find other ways to support the habit.
Old 05-22-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't buy DVD's too often anymore. If there's a big week, I plan accordingly. I make enough to cover my expenses and a couple of DVD's a month.
Old 05-22-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I usually budget $100.00 per month for dvd purchases which can usually snag anywhere from 5-7 dvds depending on their prices. I pay for my purchases with full-time employment having graduated from college some 13 years ago. Use to rent and tape movies back in my college days so I know what it is like not to have much money to spend on purchasing new dvds. I never buy from the stores unless it is a too good to pass up price. My purchases are usually thru Amazon.com via the Share The Love discount and free shipping. My average cost per dvd thru Amazon is typically $12-$15 dollars once again depending on the actual order price for each dvd. Columbia House has been a great friend since the days of laserdisc....hard not to join up a couple of times.....fulfill agreement...cancel....join again.
Old 05-22-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have about $140 a month on "entertainment" if there's no dvds I want, I deposit half, and blow the other $70 on CDs.
Old 05-22-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm out of college and I'm not employed so usually if I buy a DVD the money will come from my savings.
Old 05-22-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Married with kids. I pay with my check card (basically cash) for all my small purchases and use Amex for larger ones (for the points). The money doesn't come from a specific "place". I work from home, and she works in an office. You could say "entertainment" expenses come from our "disposable income" but our account would disagree.
Old 05-22-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No set budget for them or anything...my wife and I pretty much just buy whenever we see something we want and we know we can afford it. We've been averaging 8-10 a month lately, but we buy a lot used.
Old 05-22-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by antennaball
but we buy a lot used.
I've just discovered that recently

I used to get my DVDs new. Last month I purchased The Sopranos season 1 and 2 ($105 + tax each set).

I was walking downtown last week and went in a used DVD store and got season 3 for $59.95!! The discs are clean and the box still smells like new!

I will still buy new DVDs but I'll check once in a while for used ones!
Old 05-22-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
I don't drink, smoke or use drugs, so I figure even if I can't afford DVDs I'll buy them anyway. :-)
Old 05-22-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally posted by Darkfriend
I've just discovered that recently

I used to get my DVDs new. Last month I purchased The Sopranos season 1 and 2 ($105 + tax each set).

I was walking downtown last week and went in a used DVD store and got season 3 for $59.95!! The discs are clean and the box still smells like new!

I will still buy new DVDs but I'll check once in a while for used ones!
During the Used DVD Treasure Hunt, I found a used copy of Sopranos Season 1 and Samuel nabbed it for $30 shipped. It definately helps to look at used.

But, back on topic... I get paid twice a month and I can use one paycheck for my "mad money". Now that I'm over 500 DVDs, my buying has slowed somewhat.
Old 05-22-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A lot of people shun used DVDs, but I think if your area has a good / great Used DVD shop, you've got little to say against it. Mine is horribly mainstream, but the one in Ann Arbor that I was at last weekend was great and seemed to have a lot of incoming / outgoing discs, so I know I'd be a regular there if it were feasible to do so.
Old 05-22-04, 08:17 PM

i use Ruppies to buy my DVDs, it really pisses of my local BB, the manager hates me because it hold up the line a really long time while the clerk tries to figure out the exchange rate to dollars
Old 05-22-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I now only buy those I know i will rush home and watch straightaway. Saves me a fortune and means I can save for the Star Trek box sets that I want.

I buy many films second hand from a local video store so that saves me some cash too.
Old 05-22-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dazed
I now only buy those I know i will rush home and watch straightaway.
I'm starting to do that more often, too. Obviously, when it comes to DVDs, there doesn't need to be the mentality that you should only buy if you're going to watch in the near future, but at the same time, unless there's some great deal or the title's going to be OOP soon, there's really no necessity to get it right away.

Personally, I'm hoping to buy what I consider to be my essential titles (mainly titles coming in June) and holding off on all else until I watch all of my unviewed DVDs.
Old 05-22-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm 3 years out of college now. Working full time. I don't smoke or drink so DVDs are my only vice. That and working out but working out doesn't cost much other than protein and other various supplements every few months.

I pay 99% of the time with credit card which I pay off fully each month. So basically, it comes out of my disposable income which I would hope most ppl buy DVDs from.
Old 05-22-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think its kind of that a few have mentioned that they don't "smoke, drink" etc, but instead they collect DVDs.

As if DVD collecting DVDs is a "vice".

For the record, I smoke, drink, gamble, and collect DVDs.
Old 05-22-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, you're in Vegas so that all is a given. And considering how much some people here spend on DVDs, time they invest in talking about DVDs and all that jazz, calling it a vice is certainly not far-fetched at all.
Old 05-22-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I use an Amazon Visa and a Borders/Waldenbooks Visa card for the balance of most of my purchases.

Usually, I am using Amazon promos and GCs, STL and CH enrollments/fulfillments and wind up with a small out-of-pocket expense.

In the last two weeks I've got:

Star Trek Voyager Season 2
Smallville Seaon 2
Buffy Season 6
LOTR: ROTK

And wound up paying out of pocket about $100 for them.
Old 05-22-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Also, I joined Netflix for a while and was able to watch all four seasons of the Sopranos and the complete season of Freaks and Geeks for about $44.

If you watch fast and send them in promptly, the deal is worth it. I will probably go ahead and cancel next week, except that I've got my eye on Six Feet Under Season 2 and Monk Season 1 ... both releasing in June.
Old 05-23-04, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use cash or credit, depends on my mood. I don't really have a budget. If I see a dvd that I want, I buy it.
Old 05-23-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
3 years ago and before that I had no limit which was fine since I made good money and had no debt nor car payments to worry about.
Then 2 years ago after the birth of my daughter my wife limited me to no more than 1 DVD a week - since I had to save college tuition.
For the past year - since I have returned to college - I've bought maybe 7-8 DVD's. Now I only use giftcards to buy DVD's. My wife will occasionally allow me to pick up a DVD if I've got some extra cash saved up.. This is working for us since I'm trying to get through college without any loans, and without having to use any money from joint savings, my wife's accounts or tax returns. (basically I'm paying for my education along with any scholarships I can scrounge up.
Old 05-23-04, 08:57 AM

I have a deal with my fiance about DVD's.... I buy whatever I want, whenever I want, as long as the money doesn't come out of my paycheck. I have a seperate bank account I use only for side purchases we don't have budgeted, mainly DVD's for myself. Most of the money for this comes off stuff I sell on eBay or from odd job computer work I do on the side.
Old 05-23-04, 09:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I take my paycheck. Save half of it. Pay my morgage and all my bills. The remainder goes for food and entertainment. Usually I end up with $100-$150 per month after I eat.

Also, anything I sell on Ebay I save half and spend half (i.e. things I find at garage sales) unless its something from my collection in which case I spend it all.
Old 05-23-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live off savings and investments and by being frugal (retired at age 45). I have a $1000 line item in my annual budget for "Toys, Books, and Entertainment" that is primarily used for DVDs nowadays. (While I was working in my career I saved and invested one third to one half of gross salary. Over time it adds up, even if one doesn't earn big bucks.)

I do odd jobs at times (currently have a weed control project for some neighbors and also do tree thinning) to earn some extra income to pay for budget busters such as my home theater setup. The earned income also has some tax advantages.

I earned some $700 to $1000 in the past year through credit card arbitrage (taking advantage of those 0% card offers, maxing them out, and investing the money in GMAC Demand Notes or Savings Bonds). [Warning: credit card arbitrage is not for amateurs, if not careful, one can screw up one's credit rating big time!] Of course, I always use cash rebate cards for purchases. The best ones offer 5% back on supermarkets and gas stations and 1.5% on everything else. Not a lot but it adds up.

The vast majority of my DVDs came from Columbia House at $8 or so each. The ones that I can't get from CH I tend to put on a gift list for family (might as well get something I want). My average DVD cost is under $10 and that includes box sets counting as one.
Old 05-23-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Netflix, I don't buy anymore..Been selling off most of my collection except for must keeps

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.