Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Babylon 5 "Sleeping In Light" - GREAT Commentary!

Old 05-20-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 475 Likes on 349 Posts

I just finished the Babylon 5 Season 5 set last night, and after watching "Sleeping In Light" I went ahead and re-watched the beginning of the episode with the Joe Straczynski commentary (intending just to sample it and then go to bed). I couldn't turn it off.

It was one of the best commentaries I have ever heard. Since he wrote AND directed the episode he had the ability to give details that someone who just directed or just wrote an episode/movie wouldn't be able to. Joe was able to pass along what was happening on the set, what the characters were thinking, the backstory behind certain moments, and how he shot the episode and got the performances he wanted from the actors.

Now I'm going to have to go back to watch "The Fall of Centauri Prime" to listen to the commentary from JMS on that one!

I've got to say that Season 5 was just a little better than I remembered. Not as good as seasons 2-3, but still very good.
Old 05-20-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
All of JMS's commentaries are cool and informative and you're right "Sleeping in Light" just kicks butt. I'm getting all teary eyed and sniffly just thinking about it.
Old 05-20-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
I've resisted this series for years now, I've got the feeling you people are going to drag me in kicking and screaming...

At least the DVDs will be cheaper than the TNG and DS9 boxes.
Old 05-20-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 475 Likes on 349 Posts
Milo, if you do get B5 on DVD you have to start from Season 1 - which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Season 1 is the weakest season (it's good, but not as good as what came in seasons 2-5), but it has so much setup and backstory that you can't skip it.

The ironic thing is that once you watch the entire series in order and you go back and watch season 1 again it gets a LOT better because a lot of those little bits of foreshadowing that just seemed like throwaway lines of dialog end up being very important later on. Character arcs are hinted at as well, but not in any obvious way (not for the first time viewer).

And DON'T watch the introductions to the seasons by JMS - there are a lot of spoilers.

I'm just really impressed with the level of insight JMS gives on the "Sleeping In Light" commentary. Hell, he almost breaks down in tears a couple of times. You can really tell how much this show meant (and still means) to him.

Last edited by B5Erik; 05-20-04 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-20-04, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walter Koenig ??'s

Just finished watching all 5 seasons back to back... Well over 2 months

In eps. 13 Season 5 Bester leaves his left glove on & after watching the whole eps. he holds his left arm kinda funny he even reaches over his body with his right arm to open his quarters door to let the girl in..??

I hav not re-watched any eps. yet

anybody know why -- freak Accident or problem??

thankz Curious minds wanta know
Old 05-20-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Walter Koenig ??'s

Originally posted by ds6161
freak Accident or problem??
That's a character trait Koenig gave Bester. I think we find out why during the Psi-Corp Trilogy books.
Old 05-20-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
I've resisted this series for years now, I've got the feeling you people are going to drag me in kicking and screaming...
Quick, someone call das. We've got a convert!