Community
Search

DVDs coming out too soon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-04, 06:25 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVDs coming out too soon?

It seems like DVDs for new movies are coming out a lot quicker lately. Like for instance, ROTK is coming out next week... I'm hearing Hellboy, The Girl next door and Kill Bill 2 are all coming out in august. Not that I mind.. but why are DVDs coming out so soon, less than 6 months since they've been released in theaters. Is it that the studios are trying to capitalize on our short term memories by offering them sooner? Were big DVD sets planned since the beginning? Or are they trying to throw bare bones DVDs at us right away to get us to buy em, hoping will also buy the special editions also at xmas time?
Old 05-18-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
I'd answer but I'm too excited that I got shipping confirmation from Amazon for Star Wars Episode III

Okay, actually, I'm more than happy for early barebones with an SE down the pike... as long as we're notified early on. I'm sure it all comes down to more money for the studios (IRT early releases) so I'm not complaining.
Old 05-18-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think they come out quick enough. I wish every release was based like the Friends Series Finale. We see the movie Friday night and then buy the DVD on Tuesday. If you don't think there are enough features then don't buy it and wait. Its pretty much safe to say every movie released on DVD has or will be re-released.
Old 05-18-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because it's become well known that films are more profitable on DVD than in theaters. The studios are in the business to make money, so why not release films on DVD faster to make more money faster?

I love it when I can get movies I enjoyed in theaters 3-4 months later on DVD. Especially since directors and the studios are thinking about the DVDs during the making of the film.
Old 05-18-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lots of reasons that I can see.

The unfortunate trend seems to be bare bones editions first, and SEs later (possibly judging the "demand" for a SE by the sales of the BB).

Also, and what seems like the much bigger picture, is the fact that DVD revenue FAR exceeds box office take in the long run, so studios are wanting to turn a profit on the films as oon as possible (as many big-budget films no longer pay for themselves at the BO, of course).

With new movies, DVD planning is definately in the works far in advance (tv shows as well). Examples of this are the Fincher sets (i.e. Panic Room, Fight Club) or the Kevin Smith sets where the director has a strong support of the DVD product, and gets lots of extras and featurettes filmed during the production. A less "popular" example is Bay/Bruckheimer who (despite being hated by many) put together very nice SE DVDs, and are planned well in advance.
Old 05-18-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I think some are coming out a little too fast. But are getting solid treatment.

Big Fish comes to mind. I saw it in the theaters I think around February, and 2 months later I was able to get it on DVD.

Miracle is an example as well. I forgot when exactly this came out, but it just seemed like recently, this was in theaters.

I really wish TV sets came out faster.
Old 05-18-04, 06:49 PM

Are you serious?? If it were up to me the ticket boys would be selling copies of the movie on a little table right outside the theater once it was over. I hate waiting, especially if the movie kicks @$$.

doc
Old 05-18-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by asianxcore

I really wish TV sets came out faster.
Exactly my feelings. Aside from the older shows, I am counting the days until a Las Vegas S1 DVD announcement.
Old 05-18-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is there any problem whatsoever with them coming out right away? I'm not sure I recognize a downside to this practice.
Old 05-18-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the only downside is bare bones we are expected to get all happy about, which many of us do, and then a better collection later that we are again expected to get all happy about, which many of us do.

Go Spurs Go
Next year.
Seems your quote changed. I'm a Lakers fan, sorry about the Spurs luck. Quite amused at the coach's whining about the shot "after time ran out." Was even more amused watching 12,000 fans scream and yell after a "game-winning" shot at 5 seconds, chased by a real game-winning shot at .04 seconds, which stunned the same 12,000 fans.

Anyway, I'm enjoying huge profits on my season tickets on eBay and pray the Queens win tonight.
Old 05-18-04, 07:03 PM

Plus, by releasing the films on dvd earlier than in the past, they don't have to do as much promotion for the release. The movie is still fresh in the public's mind from the theatrical release and those who enjoyed the film will want to pick it up and those who haven't seen it will be more likely to pick up a very recent film that they have interest in.
Old 05-18-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by DrMcKittrick
Are you serious?? If it were up to me the ticket boys would be selling copies of the movie on a little table right outside the theater once it was over. I hate waiting, especially if the movie kicks @$$.

doc
I agree!
Old 05-18-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate waiting, especially if the movie kicks @$$.
That's why you see the movie again.

I saw The Girl Next Door four times in theaters (two of those times were before it's official release date) and Dawn of the Dead twice.
Old 05-18-04, 08:04 PM
Suspended

Geez.. it's obvious why the DVDs are coming out faster than previous years.

More and more ordinary average consumers are buying affordable dvd players like wolves to sheep. With that in mind.. more and more of them buy DVDs rather than renting them. And since more and more consumers buy them.. the initial prices of the average DVD has dropped to make them very appealing and affordable as the cost of producing them has gone down too.
Old 05-18-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The weeks or months that a film is neither in theaters nor out on video, the movie studio is not making any money on it. Why would they want to avoid making money?

As for the special features, any studio making a film these days knows the film's eventually going to be out on DVD. They could be making the special features ("making of" features, etc.) while the film is still in production or in theaters. If they're not doing that, it's probably because -- like other people said -- they want to sell a barebones version once and then get fans to re-buy it as a special edition.
Old 05-18-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's all because of the level of freshness in the consumers mind. Though you still have the understanding with the theaters that their needs to be that time period between theater release and dvd release to keep the theater/studio balance.

Features are being made along with the film and it's a quicker turn around.
Old 05-18-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People go to theaters????

Seriously - If me and my wife go, $15 plus gas, popcorn and a drink we are talking over $20 and it is cheap here compared to some more urban areas. These days a new release is that much or two or three catalog titles. That is why they come out so fast - they sell.
Old 05-18-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I've almost completely stopped going to the movies. I hate the super megaplexes, the crowded theathers, the really annoying people who talk throughout the picture, etc....

I think it's great not to have to wait for DVDs.
Old 05-19-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I also stopped going to the theaters, unless it's really something I want to see, or it demands to be seen on a large screen (LOTR, Matrix, Day After Tomorrow, etc)

I know how movies take only a couple months to hit DVD. If I had it my way, I would release barebones editions as soon as the movie leaves theaters and then later down the line release an SE.
Old 05-19-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
I think it's a combination of both:

1. There is no doubt they would do more than anything to push a bare bones DVD out there so you will also buy the SE when it's released. This is something that really gets on my nerves but unfortunately it will never end - too much money is being made.

2. I love it, Vol. 1 hit DVD in the blink of an eye and I was able to watch Vol. 2 at the theater 3 days later - I loved the timing and I'm not complaining.

I guess I'm lucky because I really don't care for special features - the only way I will upgrade my bare bone DVD's is if they get re-released in superbit.
Old 05-19-04, 01:51 AM

it should come out faster imo. The dvds are usually out of theatres a few months before they come out on dvd. And like everyone says htey capitalize on dvd sales more than theatre . I pay $7.00 for movie tickets and $10-13 for dvds new (most people 15.99-20) thats at least twice as much profit. BTW why is elf coming out on dvd november 2004 when it was released in theatres 2003 thats wayyy to long.
Old 05-19-04, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's a business and just like any business their is factors that come into play.

Elf is coming out in november because who the hell wants to see a christmas movie in summer? November will mean christmas sales since it is the season.

Also, they wont come out any faster. Why? because theaters make the majority of their profit from the later weeks box office take. When a movie opens up, the studios get a huge % of what it brings in. The Theaters would go ape shit if it came out faster and folks stop going to the theater. Studios need that theater release because even though the home video market brings in a ton of cash, the theater release brings in a nice amount of change itself. they need that to stay around and release new products. simple as that. They wont step on the theaters toes either or they will get hell from them. Look at "From Justin To Kelly". Fox wanted to release it quicker and it got a lot of negative reaction from the theaters.
Old 05-19-04, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton

Elf is coming out in november because who the hell wants to see a christmas movie in summer?
Uh-oh ... guess nobody told Bad Santa ...
Old 05-19-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Too soon? Hell no. I'm all for it. Extras mean nothing to me, so a quick bare-bones release will satisfy my urge to see the movie again without having to spend $10 a pop to see it again and again at the theater. Kill Bill Vol. 2 coming out at the beginning of August...
Old 05-19-04, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by madcougar
I may be in the minority, but I've almost completely stopped going to the movies. I hate the super megaplexes, the crowded theathers, the really annoying people who talk throughout the picture, etc....

I think it's great not to have to wait for DVDs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.