Community
Search

Details: The Mangler

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Details: The Mangler

Well, what has been considered by MANY to be one of the absolutely worst scary movies in eons is debuting on DVD on August 17th.

The Mangler - directed by Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Poltergeist), starring Robert Englund (Freddy himself) and Ted Levine (The Silence of the Lambs), and based on a short story by Stephen King (you know what he did), so what went wrong - the story about a possessed folding machine (actually, I think that was what was wrong with it), comes with an 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer of the theatrical version (yet, there WAS a director's cut), DD and DTS 5.1, alternate/unrated scenes with a side-by-side comaprison with the theatrical version, and trailers. Retail is $19.97.

I'm kind of disappointed that it doesn't come with both versions on the disc. Leatherface and Jason Goes To Hell came with both versions and both fitted DD/DTS on the discs (though Leatherface did DD EX/DTS-ES).
Old 05-17-04, 12:14 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
If the Director's Cut was on the disc, I may have rented this one. I don't think I can sit through the theatrical version twice though.
Old 05-17-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not only one of the worst movies, but one of the worst short stories ever published. The only reason it was published was because it had Stephen King's name on it. Any other writer would have been laughed at.

Have you seen the Mangler 2? If you thought the first one was bad, watch the sequel. No more haunted laundry machines, instead it's about a computer system that essentially "comes to life" after a student downloads the Mangler 2.0 computer virus and traps a bunch of barely clothed teenagers in a school building and starts killing them. I could barely beleive what I was seeing, it was so awful.
Old 05-17-04, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really enjoyed the first one. The second one was indeed horrible and I had to fast forward parts because it was so boring.
Old 05-17-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am an SK fan, so no matter how cheesy the movie, I usually want it. Even though a lot of the adaptations are horrible, I've read all the stories, and it's nice to have a visual reminder of them, no matter how terrible.

I have been waiting for some of his stuff to be re-released on dvd so I can get rid of my VHS tapes, so this is one step closer. I'll get it when the price is right, and I'm sure it'll drop rather quickly!
Old 05-17-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sucks that they are not releasing the unrated version which was available on VHS & I think laserdisc. Basically you are missing out on the most gruesome scenes in the film,which are few & far between,but nice to see intact. Since the film as a whole is just blech..so it is even more pointless to view without the gore!
Old 05-17-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll say gruesome. In the theatrical cut, the old woman's death was bad enough.

In the DC, they actually show more of her being crushed. ugh!
Old 05-22-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, the official DVD art is up. And God, is it atrocious. What happened to the original poster art?

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...3986&n=1&burl=
Old 05-22-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
ha!!! the mangler 2 was filmed in this shitty small town i live in in bc canada..the towns called chilliwack and they filmed it on the army base that had just closed down...i know almost every kid in that opening sequence...it was funny how worked up the town got over that piece of shit...everybody thought they were going to be movie stars...
Old 05-23-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow that coverart is terrible.....I thought the video cover was pretty great.
Old 05-23-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Terrible..and lack of the uncensored version makes it even more of an insult!

Sure the film sucks,but has some camp value at some moments. So it would be worth buying if uncut and you want a film to laugh at with friends

NLC missed the boat,considering uncut prints exist and where released before.
Old 05-23-04, 04:11 AM
Cool New Member

i dont know why you guys are complaning if the director's cut scenes are included anyway in the dvd as extras..plus even if the directors cut of the entire film was included,you would fast foward to all the death scenes to see the extra gore,so you should the comparisn as an advantage..wut erks me is that while this can get the uncut scenes on the dvd,the uncut friday the 13th series remains unseen..
Old 05-23-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by deepest blue
wut erks me is that while this can get the uncut scenes on the dvd,the uncut friday the 13th series remains unseen..
That does suck even more.

I'd rather see the uncut version of the sleeping bag death over 5 more seconds of
Spoiler:
Robert Englund getting his legs crushed by the Mangler at the end.