Community
Search

The Other on DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-04, 11:46 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Other on DVD?

I have read reviews for this old film and many say it's so scary and good even without gore. I tried to rent it at video stores but because the title is so old I haven't had any luck finding it on VHS let alone DVD. I really want to see this film so bad to see what all the raving is about. Any word on it coming to DVD soon?
Even in another region?

Rick
Old 05-14-04, 12:40 AM

No word yet, though this is one of my most wanted titles on DVD. I'm hoping that one positive thing that could come out of John Ritter's death is that this movie would come out to sort of commemorate his film career.
Old 05-14-04, 08:12 AM
Cool New Member

Yes I heard he was in it. Even if it came out barebones and one of them cheap DVD's like Bay of blood or Pieces I'd be happy.
Old 05-14-04, 08:14 PM

This was a great movie. It would be great if the Udvarnoky twins(the boys in the movie) could do a commentary or maybe showcase them in a feature.
Old 05-14-04, 09:42 PM
Cool New Member

This and THE INNOCENTS would make a great Halloween promotion for Fox. Both titles have been asked for many times in many forum threads. Fingers crossed!
Old 05-14-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Terrific movie (based on the excellent novel by Thomas Tryon). I still have an old VHS copy.
Old 05-15-04, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've went through 3 vhs copies of this over the years. it's been my #1 most wanted film on dvd since I started collecting. Star Wars? hell no. this is the one I need. seen it over 100 times I'm sure...grew up with it on TV broadcasts and finally got a tape many years back. I have a sweet collection of original lobby cards framed and displayed proudly, as well as an original one-sheet. not sure how "todays" crowd will take it...but it haunted me as a child for years.

if they release this...they need to give a little love to one of my fave Ritter films....They All Laughed. my 2nd most wanted title.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 05-15-04 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-15-04, 07:58 AM

I agree with Gut, this is a film that creeped me out as a kid. I remember seeing The Other when it first aired on CBS and it left a haunting impression on me. I'll never forget Niles and Holland! Along with The Wicker Man and Walkabout, The Other was one of my favorite "caught it first on TV" films. C'mon 20th Century Fox, release this gem on DVD!