Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

How many wrapped...How do you stack...How do you sort...?

Old 05-13-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been here something like two months, and am always amused when someone comes up with a new albeit ridiculous topic such as the all too familiar...

How many do you this...?

How many do you that...?

Do you do this...?

Do you do that...?

So I was trying to think of my own "How many of you do this/do you do that" thread that nobody ever thought of, and was reading the thread about how many DVDs everyone had that were still shrinkwrapped.

Someone said something like "everytime this thread comes up..."

This got me thinking. These topics must get regurgitated every several months. I began to try to think of topics that likely were not covered yet.

Of course, likely everything that is the slightest bit interesting has been covered, and probably much of the absurd has been covered as well.

However, I thought a thread dedicated to the most absurd topics was due. Perhaps we can have a little fun trying to weed out potential topics that one finds interesting but others find absurd. I came up with a few that are absolutely ridiculous, and I encourage everyone to try to come up with the silliest and dumbest thread topics and post them here. In addition, if you care to post old thread topics that were nutty, feel free to add them.

Here are a few of mine:

When you put the DVD in the case, do you face up the widescreen side or the full screen side?

Does anyone watch both the full screen verison and the wide screen version just to get maximum value out of their DVD?

When you put the insert into the left side, do you face up the chapter list, or the cover?

Do you prefer the title of the film on the side of the package to read up or down?

What do you do when you file the DVD, but realize that the cover is upside down in the shelf when you put the side reading upwards or downwards?

Do you take great care in storing DVDs with graphics on the disc centered, so when you open the DVD case the DVD isn't upside down to read it?

In what order to you enjoy the bonus materials, assuming there are trailers, alternate scenes, a commentary, and the film?

How many people, when putting the DVD in for the first time, jump to their favorite scene, watch it, and then go back and start from the beginning?

How many people sleep with a DVD under the pillow?

When you drive home with your latest DVD purchases, do you put them in the trunk, the passenger front seat, or the back seat?

Do trite comments from the video clerk about the amount of DVDs you are purchasing or renting bother you?

To maximize the value of the DVD, should it ever become rare, do you keep the miscellaneous advertising inserts included with some DVDs?

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 05-13-04 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 429 Likes on 243 Posts
How many people sleep with a DVD under the pillow?
I do. I can only do it with single disc DVDs as the double disc ones are too fat and it's harder for me to get to sleep.

However, the DVD fairy has yet to leave me any money.
Old 05-13-04, 01:06 PM
Cool New Member

I definitely put them on the front passenger seat. And look at them while I'm driving!

I will start sleeping with a DVD under the pillow. The tooth fairy used to be kind to me, so.....
Old 05-13-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Almost all of those topics could be combined into one thread titled, "Are you as anal retentive about your DVDs as I am about mine?"
Old 05-13-04, 01:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 866 Likes on 732 Posts
this is probably the stupidest thread i have seen and probably inappropriate for this forum!
Old 05-13-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Does the fact that 'DVD' includes the letters 'VD' make you feel a little dirty?

Do you save the little plastic tape strip that has the title and cute little picture of a disk on the top of the case?
Old 05-13-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by dtcarson
Do you save the little plastic tape strip that has the title and cute little picture of a disk on the top of the case?
I actually do this. I put the strip on the outside of the DVD case where there's some blank space. For snappers, I put the title strip inside the case.
Old 05-13-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by scott1598
this is probably the stupidest thread i have seen and probably inappropriate for this forum!
I agree that it isn't the most "on-point" thread dealing directly with DVDs necessarily, but just an attempt at some light-hearted humor. Sorry to bother you so much...

Originally posted by DaBomb
I actually do this. I put the strip on the outside of the DVD case where there's some blank space. For snappers, I put the title strip inside the case.
Of course, you didn't say why or what prompted you to begin doing this???

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 05-13-04 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: How many wrapped...How do you stack...How do you sort...?

Originally posted by ukywyldcat
When you put the DVD in the case, do you face up the widescreen side or the full screen side?
Given both, I only ever watch the widescreen..

Does anyone watch both the full screen verison and the wide screen version just to get maximum value out of their DVD? [/QUOTE]

Full screen, so the widescreen is facing down and ready to go!

When you put the insert into the left side, do you face up the chapter list, or the cover? [/QUOTE]

Um... whichever it comes as, and I usually keep it that way....
Old 05-13-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a thread for the rookies....
Old 05-13-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally,

It's about time that a thread was created that would allow me to share my dvd-ways. I actually like to keep my collection real clean and spotless. I mean REAL Clean!

When I am watching a movie, everytime the chapter changes, i take the dvd out, dust it off, put 1 small spray of canned air into the player, then 2 more long bursts of air into the player. Then i use a silk cloth to place the dvd back into the player and proceed to the next chapter. And after I watch a movie, i return it to the store and get another of the same so that I can be assured that the copy I have is the newest and cleanest possible. All this time, of course, I am hopping on one foot and chanting.

How many of you do this? C'mon, i know you're out there...

Hang on... I have to go dust a disc.

Matt
Old 05-13-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Pshaw, merely by opening them, you are exposing them to disk-eating air and bacteria, and robbing them of their precious dvd fluids.
Buy them, shrink wrap them at Kinko's, put them in a ziplock, then hermetically seal them in a chrome cylinder for future generations to enjoy. If you actually want to *watch* something, there's always Kazaa or Video on Demand.
Old 05-13-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you put the DVD in the case, do you face up the widescreen side or the full screen side? Wide

Does anyone watch both the full screen verison and the wide screen version just to get maximum value out of their DVD? Nope, just Wide.

When you put the insert into the left side, do you face up the chapter list, or the cover? Chapter List.

Do you prefer the title of the film on the side of the package to read up or down? Down.

What do you do when you file the DVD, but realize that the cover is upside down in the shelf when you put the side reading upwards or downwards? Live with it!

Do you take great care in storing DVDs with graphics on the disc centered, so when you open the DVD case the DVD isn't upside down to read it? Nope.

In what order to you enjoy the bonus materials, assuming there are trailers, alternate scenes, a commentary, and the film? Deleted scenes, then maybe featurettes.

How many people, when putting the DVD in for the first time, jump to their favorite scene, watch it, and then go back and start from the beginning? Not me.

How many people sleep with a DVD under the pillow? Not me!

When you drive home with your latest DVD purchases, do you put them in the trunk, the passenger front seat, or the back seat? Passenger front seat.

Do trite comments from the video clerk about the amount of DVDs you are purchasing or renting bother you? They know better.

To maximize the value of the DVD, should it ever become rare, do you keep the miscellaneous advertising inserts included with some DVDs? Nope.