Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Master & Commander Bonus Disc from Best Buy - Worth it?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was holding off buying M&C until the price drops, but if the bonus DVD containing the feature "A Filmaker's Journey" is recommended, I'll buy it now. Has anyone seen the footage on the bonus DVD?
Old 05-13-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The exclusive best buy bonus dvd only has a 19 minute featurette, the M&C trailer, and bonus trailers. The "filmmakers journey" documentary is on the second disc of the collectors set, not the exclusive best buy bonus disc. I think you have the two confused.

Last edited by Robert; 05-13-04 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-13-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the copy for the bonus disc: Best Buy exclusive 31-minute bonus DVD! This bonus disc includes "Behind the Scenes: A Filmmaker's Journey — A Look at Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World."
Old 05-13-04, 11:52 AM
Banned

The BB bonus disc repeats a lot of footage from the features on disc two of the 2 disc version. If you are looking at the 1 disc version of the movie then I think picking up a copy with the bonus disc would be a good idea, but I still recommend the 2 disc verison for all the other features.
Old 05-13-04, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Wannabe
Here's the copy for the bonus disc: Best Buy exclusive 31-minute bonus DVD! This bonus disc includes "Behind the Scenes: A Filmmaker's Journey — A Look at Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World."
The 31 minutes is the total running time of the 19 minute featurette and the trailers.
Old 05-13-04, 11:50 PM
Cool New Member

Here is where I really get pissed off - Fox could so easily have put the theatrical trailer on the M&C set for their forty dollar retail (way overpriced, seeing as how many special editions with even more features are ten or fifteen bucks less). Instead, as with the Rolling Stones DVD last Christmas, they decide to include it ONLY as part of a Best Buy exclusive. This sort of practice just feels wrong and does NOT make me want to go go fifty miles out of my way to patronize another giant corporation. On the contrary - it makes me want to avoid it.
Old 05-14-04, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by DickS
Here is where I really get pissed off - Fox could so easily have put the theatrical trailer on the M&C set for their forty dollar retail (way overpriced, seeing as how many special editions with even more features are ten or fifteen bucks less). Instead, as with the Rolling Stones DVD last Christmas, they decide to include it ONLY as part of a Best Buy exclusive. This sort of practice just feels wrong and does NOT make me want to go go fifty miles out of my way to patronize another giant corporation. On the contrary - it makes me want to avoid it.
The theatrical trailer for M&C is on the second disc of the 2 disc collectors set, along with the teaser and international trailer.
Old 05-14-04, 09:44 PM
Cool New Member

Hmm. Another instance of Foot-In-Mouth disease.
Old 06-13-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I finally got around to watching the bonus disc.

For those of you who live in the NYC region and got the bonus disc from the NY Post prior to the film's theatrical release.

The featurette on the Best Buy bonus disc is exactly the same as the one on the NY Post preview disc.

Actually, the discs are exactly the same except for the artwork and the bonus trailers.
Old 06-13-04, 09:05 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yeah, it's worth paying nothing for it.

If you couldn't get it when it first came out, there's really no need to pay $50 on eBay for it (unless it's my auction - then you should bid it up to around $150 ).