Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Free DVD cases - a good idea!

Old 05-11-04, 10:12 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was at the local mom and pop video store, sorting through the used DVDs and shooting the shit with the clerk. He in the meantime was pulling the days New Releases and putting them into their special security DVD box that needs a special key to open.

The pile of used DVDs were in a rack right next to the "Beep if you steal something" electronic gate. As I was picking, my hand drifted too near the gate and it started beeping.

"Oh no! I'm stealing empty DVD boxes!" I said in mock horror. "Of course, given the state of some of my own boxes, that's not a bad idea."

"Would you like some?" he said, jesturing to the huge pile of empty boxes to his right. Not wanting to be a pig (and having to walk half a mile), I grabbed a handful and thanked him.

On the walk home, I started thinking - if I'd wanted to, I bet I could easly have gotten the whole stack (or at least a great many more than I did). So - I thought I'd share my thought with you guys. A way to get a supply of boxes on the cheap

The store has to use the special DVD cases - some mom and pops, and Blockbuster are the only ones off the top of my head that fit the bill..

You'd also probably have more luck if you did it on New Release Tuesday. After that it's dumpster diving (if Blockbuster has squashed all M&P stores, this might be the only avenue open to you).

No dumpster diving for me, but on the next trip with the car, I might see if I cant clean them out.
Old 05-13-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to BB and they told me that they were going to use them. What a liars!! There were at least 100 empty dvd cases in garbage bags getting ready to be trash. I wonder where? I don't have the guts to check in the garbage.
Old 05-13-04, 10:21 AM

Buddy of mine does the same thing...
Gets "handouts" from his local Blockbuster...
Last time I was at his place, he had 400 empty cases :-)
Old 05-15-04, 01:40 AM
Cool New Member

Over here in Australia the local store selles them back to us for .50 cents or three for a dollar. All kinds of case, doubles and singles, yellow, clear, black and green cases.

I dont mind paying for them cause it beats buying them from the store over the road.

XR8FalconSBR
Old 05-29-04, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont remember when it was, but I had a bunch of trash in my car I needed to clean out, and as I was leaving work at about midnight, I stopped at the dumpster behind the Blockbuster to throw some stuff out. Although I didnt see any cases in there, just some cardboard boxes, it was fairly clean (for a dumpster) and I would have had no problem pulling anything of interest out (its just paper and cardboard and plastic in there, you wont exactly get filfthy ). That being said, I thought I heard that Blockbuster actually had DVDs shipped to them in the Blockbuster cases already, but maybe that was just speculation.
Old 06-01-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 192 Likes on 157 Posts
I just received about thirty free blue ROTK double amaray cases today from a friend of a friend who manages a local Blockbuster. And about another ten regular black double amarays. I think all of the ROTK cases still have their inserts, too. This is the same nice lady who gave me a garbage bag full of single amarays and the like not too long ago. I had previously asked her for some empty cases and she is now giving me a ton of them. I might have to ask her to stop soon seeing as I probably have well over 100 empty cases in the basement now.