Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

How does Bob Hope's Road Show series compare to the On The Road collection?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, there was the Road Show box set with the 4 Universal road movies, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd and now they re-released those same 4 movies as part of the Franchise Collection. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Would I be better served by getting the older box set, even though it costs more, or should I get the nicely priced franchise version?
Old 05-07-04, 11:17 PM

FWIW: Target is carrying this for $19.99.
Old 05-08-04, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like most of the Franchise Collection discs, the transfers are probably identical to the original releases. I'd go with the Franchise Collection edition because not only is it cheaper, but it's one disc that comes in a nice embossed slipcover that will take up 1/4 of the shelf space as the original DVDs.
Old 05-08-04, 06:43 AM
Banned

Re: How does Bob Hope's Road Show series compare to the On The Road collection?

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
First, there was the Road Show box set with the 4 Universal road movies, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd and now they re-released those same 4 movies as part of the Franchise Collection. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Would I be better served by getting the older box set, even though it costs more, or should I get the nicely priced franchise version?
When Universal released the Road films llast year in that expensive boxed set, they did not sell at all. The new Franchise Collection release has identical transfers and features but is one third the price. Buy the Franchise Collection.
Old 05-08-04, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Jazzinator
FWIW: Target is carrying this for $19.99.
Borders regular price for this is $19.99, so with the 20% off coupon it is $15.99
Old 05-09-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Based on Universal's current track record, check your discs before you leave the store. Many of the other "franchise" collections have floater problems, which have resulted in badly-scratched and even unplayable discs.
Old 05-09-04, 05:59 AM

Actually, it's a single double-sided disc.
Old 05-09-04, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bdhart
Borders regular price for this is $19.99, so with the 20% off coupon it is $15.99
I really can't think of any reasons to go with the older set .... don't we want to encourage them to keep prices dropping and provide even better value?

P.S. - today (sunday May 9) is the last day that Broders coupon mentioned is valid.
Old 05-09-04, 09:17 AM
Banned

Originally posted by RevKarl
Based on Universal's current track record, check your discs before you leave the store. Many of the other "franchise" collections have floater problems, which have resulted in badly-scratched and even unplayable discs.
I own eleven of the Franchise Collection sets. None had floater problems, nor any other problems for that matter. How many floaters has Warner put out? I own 86 Warner products and have had at least ten floaters. This Universal bashing is getting to be ridiculous. All companies have floaters and bad discs. I have not found that Universal has more or less than any other company. They just get bashed more.
Old 05-09-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by EPKJ
This Universal bashing is getting to be ridiculous. All companies have floaters and bad discs. I have not found that Universal has more or less than any other company. They just get bashed more.
Agreed! But for some reason, Universal gets an unhealthy amount of scorn while the bare-bones high-priced Columbia/Tristar and Paramount policies generate little outcry. I for one say thank you to Universal for providing some of the best series in our film heritage at incredibly affordable prices.
Old 05-09-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Thanks for the info, guys.

I will probably pick up the franchise version, although I kind of like the idea of a box set being in an actual box, with individual keepcases (and inserts?)
Old 05-09-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sorry, I don't consider it "Universal bashing" to warn other members about the current problems with their packaging...any more than it was "Warner bashing" to tell people about the framing and exchange problems with Kiss Me Kate.

As to the topic, littlefuzzy, I hope you enjoy the films. If you want the other three "Road" films, Brentwood has released a twofer of Road to Rio and Road to Bali that you should be able to find for around $6, while the MGM disc for The Road to Honk Kong usually sells for $10.
Old 05-10-04, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by RevKarl
I'm sorry, I don't consider it "Universal bashing" to warn other members about the current problems with their packaging...any more than it was "Warner bashing" to tell people about the framing and exchange problems with Kiss Me Kate.

As to the topic, littlefuzzy, I hope you enjoy the films. If you want the other three "Road" films, Brentwood has released a twofer of Road to Rio and Road to Bali that you should be able to find for around $6, while the MGM disc for The Road to Honk Kong usually sells for $10.
There are no current problems with their packaging. That is the point. One is no more likely to find a Universal floater than any other studio floater. In fact, snapper cases have a reputation of being the most prone to floaters. Universal does not use snapper cases. You are warning no one. You are bashing Universal. You make it sound as if floaters are unique to Universal or that only Universal digipaks are bad. This is utter nonsense.