Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Do you like your Anime subbed, or dubbed?

View Poll Results: Are you a sub fan, or do you like dubbed?
I prefer subtitles.
46.97%
I prefer dubs.
16.67%
I like to watch both versions.
13.64%
I watch whichever is better.
15.91%
Actually, I understand Japanese, so I watch them raw.
2.27%
Anime? What's that?
3.79%
I never knew Twikoff did all of the voices for that hentai!
0.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you prefer your anime subbed, or dubbed?

With subbed, you get the show as it was intended by the directors, and many people feel that the Japanese voice actors convey the emotions of their characters better, and fit the parts better, as well. People also feel that you get more accurate translations, since they don't have to match the English voices to the mouth movements.

On the other hand, you don't have to read the screen with dubs, and there have been many quality dubs recently. There are even shows where people think the English dub was even better than the Japanese original voice track (such as Cowboy Bebop.)

EDIT: There have been occasions where dubs have completely changed a story, inserting (or removing) political or sexual content or foul language, rewriting the show to take place in America, etc.

Personally, I have been a sub fan for as long as I was in anime, although much of my early anime (most Pioneer, among others) was on dual audio track laserdiscs, with subtitles through closed captioning. Unfortunately, my TV doesn't do CC, so I listened to those shows in English. Pioneer is one of the better studios for English dubbing, in my opinion.

Last edited by littlefuzzy; 05-06-04 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-06-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Subs are going to win by a landslide here. But in all honesty, i don't mind a dub. Recently, they've been done very well. Some of the literal subtitle translations are as silly as some of the dubbing work trying to fit lines with the characters mouth movement.
Old 05-06-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer hearing movies in their original tongue, anime or not, so subtitles it is. (It's a big reason why I hate watching the news, when the "voice of translator" talks over someone speaking a different language. Why can't they use subtitles? They only seem to use subtitles when someone is speaking English, but with a thick accent. What's the point in that?)
Old 05-06-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generally dubs, if they're of high quality. Such as Spirited Away.
Old 05-06-04, 11:05 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Do you like your Anime subbed, or dubbed?

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
EDIT: There have been occasions where dubs have completely changed a story, inserting (or removing) political or sexual content or foul language, rewriting the show to take place in America, etc.
Yeah. Robotech comes to mind.
Old 05-06-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dubbing in anime are fine if it's done correctly. Sometimes I like to turn on both dubbing and subtitle when watching anime.
Old 05-06-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cupon
Generally dubs, if they're of high quality. Such as Spirited Away.
Same here.
Old 05-07-04, 12:19 AM

Most people who watch a considerable amount of anime (also known as "anime fans") will prefer subtitles. Hell, I don't think you can call yourself an anime fan if you'd rather watch a dub.
Old 05-07-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Subbed. It really isn't all that hard to read the text and enjoy the visuals.

I don't hate dubs. I'll watch a few things dubbed, but I love subbed a hundred times more. Hands down

Take for example Azumanga. They destroyed Osakas voice by giving her an "southern belle" accent. BLAH! she's suppose to be from Osaka. that would relate to I suppose street slang here.
Old 05-07-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I usually watch it subbed but I don't mind dubs that are well done.
Old 05-07-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i think hentai fans would pick dubbing because english-speaking fake orgasms sound better than japanese fake orgasms.
Old 05-07-04, 01:14 AM

Just depends to me...I like the voices differently on different anime.

I watch Cowboy Bebop and Trigun in dub form because I like the dub. I watch Hellsing in sub form because I feel that the dub does the characters no justice, and Alucard just sounds bad ass in Japanese.

My only real split decision is Lupin. I like the Pioneer dub but hate the Funimation one. So, when dubbed how I like it, I watch that. All other Lupin is in sub form for me.
Old 05-07-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Subs.
Old 05-07-04, 01:19 AM

I like both. If I had time, I'd watch both versions on every anime DVD I buy.

As it is, I tend to watch the subbed version first and the dub only if I have time.
Old 05-07-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's interesting to put subs on and have the dub on as well. You'll see how much they screw up some translations.
Old 05-07-04, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not totally against sub's, but I prefer dubs. I don't watch much anime, but the stuff I have seen has usually been dubbed. My favorite anime serie's (Trigun) dubbing was done very well I thought and made some of the jokes work better. Reading subs hurts the delivery of a joke. Also dubbing on "Spirited Away" and "Princess Mononoke" is very well done.

Only subs for live action movies though.
Old 05-07-04, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Subs all the way for me. Just knowing that something is dubbed bothers me. Makes me think of how many people out there are too lazy to read anything.

Also, I don't really get why the Cowboy Bebop dubs are considered among the best. Is it just the translation? I think the voice actors they chose for each character a bit wrong (especially the actor doing the voice of Ed...she made the character unbearable for me).
Old 05-07-04, 06:16 AM

In general with foreign movies I prefer to have both. I'll usually watch the sub first. Later I'll re-watch with both the dub and sub and look to see differences, hoping to maybe get a better understanding since each translation is usually unique (Princess Mononoke, for instance, is very different -- as are non anime translations of several Bergman films). After that viewing I'll generally return to the sub, but not always.
Old 05-07-04, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Take for example Azumanga. They destroyed Osakas voice by giving her an "southern belle" accent. BLAH! she's suppose to be from Osaka. that would relate to I suppose street slang here.
In the Manga they translated her Osaka dialect as Brooklyn dialect. I prefer them using the Southern dialect.
Old 05-07-04, 06:36 AM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
dubs...if there is no dub , then subs
Old 05-07-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts
I watch anime dubbed.
Old 05-07-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Do you like your Anime subbed, or dubbed?

With subbed, you get the show as it was intended by the directors,
People bring up this point a lot. Do you really think the director sat down and said, this show should be in Japanese? I don't think so. It is Japanese because.....the writer/director speaks Japanese. If you were to write a story, I'm betting that you will write it in whatever your natural language is. Even if it takes place in a location where the language is different, it will be written in your own language.

many people feel that the Japanese voice actors convey the emotions of their characters better, and fit the parts better, as well.
If you don't understand the language, how do you know if they are acting good. They might be screwing up ever other word or talking about something totally different and you'll never know. I just never understood listening to what is essentially jibberish to me adds to a show.
Old 05-07-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What I never understood is that if you ask dub fans if they watch foreign movies subbed or dubbed (in my experience) a large majority of them will say subbed. Now, these are the same people always saying that cartoons are not just for kids and they should be respected, etc. WTF is the difference? Just because it is a cartoon doesn't make it any less valid. You should give the show and it's creators the same respect that you would give an Akira Kurosowa movie.

Subtitles only! The only time I ever watch a dub is to see how bad they did it. And no, there are no good dubs IMO (not even Bebop). Now if these damn_anime companies would just figure out that they should stick to strictly literal translations in their subs (ADV I am looking at you) and keep honorifics in the subtitles!
Old 05-07-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Re: Do you like your Anime subbed, or dubbed?

Originally posted by resinrats

If you don't understand the language, how do you know if they are acting good. They might be screwing up ever other word or talking about something totally different and you'll never know. I just never understood listening to what is essentially jibberish to me adds to a show.

Excellent point.
Old 05-07-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Subs all the way.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.