Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Problem with my Elephant

Problem with my Elephant

Old 05-05-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with my Elephant

Actually not mine, I rented it from Netflix. For the special features it instructs you to use the other side of the disc. On each of my dvd players (2 sonys,1 panasonic) I got "no disc" or it was unable to load. Anyone else have a problem? From what I hear the special features aren't so special anyway.
Old 05-05-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just watched this last night. Good flick. I had no problem with the disc flip. The only extra is basically a decent 10 minute making-of doc.
Old 05-05-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Problem with my Elephant

Originally posted by bdots48

Problem with my Elephant

Old 05-05-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
No problems here also. Honestly, your not missing much. Just a 10 minute doc
Old 05-05-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 811 Posts
You didn't miss anything. The 10 minute documentary is nothing but behind the scenes footage with a few mildl interviews with the kids. Nothing revealing or terribly interesting.

Was I the only one disappointed with this movie?

Old 05-05-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, this is the second time Netflix has done this (of ones I've rented). Guess they don't like flippers: they can't tell what's what.
Old 05-05-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
"Was I the only one disappointed with this movie?"

While it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, I enjoyed it very much. What problems did you have?
Old 05-05-04, 02:55 PM

Problem with my Elephant
He keeps sitting on my Volkswagen.
Old 05-05-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JiM T
He keeps sitting on my Volkswagen.
A four-ton elephant can sit anywhere it wants to?

Well, I guess that answers THAT question.
Old 05-05-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts
I'm having a problem playing the 4x3 version on Side 1 (which is the intended OAR). It jumps to chapter 2 and I can't go anywhere in chapter manually. I frickin hate double-sided discs. Not the first time I've had a bad flipper.
Old 05-05-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Dean Kousoulas
"Was I the only one disappointed with this movie?"

While it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, I enjoyed it very much. What problems did you have?
Even though you weren't asking me, I'm gonna tell you why I disliked the movie

My comments from another thread:

I really wanted to love this movie, and for the first 2/3, I thought I was going to. But I think my opinion began to change as soon as they started trying to "explain" why these boys went homicidal. Oh, of course! Violent videogames and homosexuality! Give me a break.

But the cheap cop-out explanation isn't even my biggest gripe. The last 20 minutes of this movie could have been intense as hell. If I had made this movie, I would have utilized the lethargic first half by shocking the hell out of the audience with the finale. The slow-paced drudgery should have exploded into a frenzy of out-of-nowhere violence. But that's not what happened. Instead of a chaotic mess of gunfire and panic (which I'm sure is what the real Columbine was like), we get a shootout that's just as slow paced and mundane as a character developing a roll of film earlier on.

Van Sant could have really made an emotional, moving, and shocking movie, but for some reason he didn't. He failed to take advantage of the heavy nature of the material at hand, which is a real shame.
Old 05-05-04, 10:23 PM

The rental disc (form a regular store) worked fine for me.

I thought the movie was really good. It took about a day or so to really have it kind of sink in.

As far as the shooting being mundane, I'm pretty sure that's the whole point of it. To the killers, them going about doing that is as natural as a kid taking pictures, etc. Not that the shooters did this thing day to day, but you get the idea. I can understand how it could've been more intense (without resorting to Matrix styled slow motion w/techno music), but as far as the films intent goes, it realized what it aimed for. No pun intended.
Old 05-06-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I understand the film's messages, but I was majorly disappointed with the delivery. I really felt that the movie came off as more of a mockumentary akin to Spinal Tap. (I'm not saying it was a comedy!)

Caiman hit one nail right on the head: The point was to objectively show the events in the mundane world that they occurred in. However, we can't resist that little temptation to pass judgment and make a political statement by throwing in the homosexual encounter (film would have been much better leaving that issue as unresolved innuendo as it did so much else) and blaming video games (the piano playing part was masterful, the video game denegrated the whole scene).

I understand that Van Sant wants to get back to his "indie" roots, but this was crap coming from an experienced director. I was a panel judge for a little film festival and I would equate this movie to the crap submissions that we sat through.

I understand the slow pacing and "non events" but they were drawn out periods of nothing that could have been better suited to developing the overly-stereotyped characters (which were as flat and one dimensional as 14th century Italians thought the world was).

Now, I really enjoyed the fractured timeline and how certain events led into other events, but this was sparsely done. More often than not the events did not lead anywhere.

Old 05-06-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, you didn't shoot the elephant in your pajamas, did you?
Old 05-09-04, 07:03 PM

I rented this from Netflix also and was disappointed to find out that I wasn't able to access the extras. Even if they are slim, I rented it, I want to be able to view them.
Old 05-09-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Abob Teff
BTW, you didn't shoot the elephant in your pajamas, did you?
What he was doing in my pajamas, I'll never know.