Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

New transfer for new Godfather releases?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a new updated transfer? Should I eBay my old set? Curious if there was anything new at all.
Old 05-04-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its the same transfer as the box set
Old 05-04-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you for posting this. I've waited a long time for a discussion on this very matter.
Old 05-04-04, 07:09 PM

There is already an indepth discussion at the HTF.
Old 05-04-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Also there was a discussion HERE
Old 05-04-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by New York Times - November 9, 2003
Paramount is making new digital masters of the "Godfather" films for reissue, as single-film discs, late next year....(It is not) likely to carry a banner boasting vast improvement. That would be tantamount to admitting that something was wrong with the lavishly promoted originals...An executive at Paramount blames American Zoetrope, Mr. Coppola's company, which made the digital transfers, for the quality of the DVD's. Kim Aubry of American Zoetrope — which, for what it's worth, has made several excellent DVD's — blames Paramount for providing him with poor film materials...according to a Paramount executive, who asked not to be named, the studio has hired an outsider, John Lowry, to re-do the "Godfather" discs.
Originally posted by Martin Blythe - Paramount Studio Rep

To clarify: it's the same transfer, not a new one. It's just been passed through Lowry Digital's clean-up process.
Originally posted by Martin Blythe
I stand corrected. The Godfather disc will be the same as that inside the box set. Identical. No Lowry Digital pass.
Old 05-05-04, 12:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahhhhhh,no original mono either!

Is the 5.1 mix as terrible sounding as the previous stereo remix from the mid 90's?

Also are the trailers on the box set?
Old 05-05-04, 02:12 AM
Banned

Well, someone post some pics from both dvds.
Old 05-05-04, 02:16 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to stick with the ones I have now........if there are improved versions, they should of got it right the first time (come on studio's, this is the Godfather trilogy we're talking about!)
Old 05-05-04, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember even when this came out and I was relatively new to the more technical aspects of DVD, I thought "damn, this is one hideous looking transfer."

Such a tragedy to see two of the greatest films of all time (and one coaster) get such shoddy treatment. For shame, Paramount.
Old 05-05-04, 05:36 AM

No way i would be upgrading from what is available now. The Godfather I and II are among my favorite films, but I don't watch them all that often. You can pretty much write off the entire day watching them back to back, and the discs are good as it stands.
Old 05-05-04, 06:55 AM

First of all it's only the first one that is coming out. No word on the other two yet. The new one does come in a keep case though. That may be reason enough for some people to sell their old ones.
Old 05-05-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
Well, someone post some pics from both dvds.
There's no point in that. It's the SAME EXACT disc.
Old 05-05-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Originally posted by orangeguy
First of all it's only the first one that is coming out. No word on the other two yet. The new one does come in a keep case though. That may be reason enough for some people to sell their old ones.
Then it wouldn't fit in the box set.
Old 05-05-04, 11:40 AM

Paramount comes through again as always. Lol.

I gave up on this studio long ago.

The shoddy way they handled I Love Lucy drew the line for me. Not to mention the shoddy treatment they are giving to many of their franchises that made them famous and ultra rich.

It's almost sickening. VHS like transfers for a classic. Phooey.

They arent really fixing much of anything. For many of their items, they are just ripping old transfers from years ago and throwing them on a DVD.

Last edited by ClownFace666; 05-05-04 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-05-04, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Robert
There is already an indepth discussion at the HTF.
What an elitist comment! You simply assume that someone posting here also posts there? You don't even bother to explain what HTF is. If this person doesn't post there (which I would imagine they don't, since they asked the question) then your comment serves to do nothing more than confuse them and make them feel stupid. I would think it would be pretty reasonable to have a thread about the same topic on two completely different DVD-related message boards. Jesus, some of you people need to grow up.
Old 05-05-04, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by kingtopher
What an elitist comment! You simply assume that someone posting here also posts there? You don't even bother to explain what HTF is. If this person doesn't post there (which I would imagine they don't, since they asked the question) then your comment serves to do nothing more than confuse them and make them feel stupid. I would think it would be pretty reasonable to have a thread about the same topic on two completely different DVD-related message boards. Jesus, some of you people need to grow up.
In a way, I have to agree. I was confused myself by the HTF comment because I thought maybe I just missed something previously said.

What does HTF even have to do with this?

HTF is an entirely different forum. Not all members here go there and vice versa.

They arent even the same site. Probably about 1/4 to 1/3 of the people here will be in total confusion on what HTF means. lol.
Old 05-05-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's what Martin Blythe - Paramount Studio Rep said on HTF:
I'm surprised no one has remarked on the fact that our releasing the first film is designed to accommodate all those folks who asked for single releases in the first place rather than the box set. This is about giving the consumer a choice.

To respond to a number of posts, the discs are exactly the same as the ones in the box set. There was discussion of having them pass through Lowry Digital but it never got past the discussion stage.
Here was my response on DVDTalk:
Without trying to be rude, I think "consumer choice" is complete spin-doctoring on behalf of Paramount. If you wanted to give consumers choice, you wouldn't have waited three years to individually release the titles after sales have peaked for the box set.

Now adding insult to injury, for whatever reason, Paramount decides not to fix the original problems that plaqued the box set. I guess if you fix the individual releases, than that's admission of culpability and maybe you don't want Zoetrope to be blamed
The disappointing aspect of all of this is that Lowry Digital allegedly did a cleanup job, but it won't be used on this release. Pfft.
Old 05-05-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kingtopher
Jesus, some of you people need to grow up.
And others need to lighten up.

Robert's post could have been more helpful by providing a link to the thread in question, but I don't see how his assumption that people know what HTF is somehow makes him the devil incarnate.

Try not to jump to ugly conclusions, and certainly try to avoid making personal attacks against someone who was, at least to some degree, trying to be helpful.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 05-05-04 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-05-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the current boxset packaging is nicer than the keepcase coming out for part I.

With that being said, I would have preferred to only buy Part I and II individually. I also think Martin Blythe's previous statement is ridiculous and a bit arrogant. The "Consumer Choice" should have been given to us when the boxset was released. It was all about milking us for Godfather III because they new few people would have bought it. Furthermore, this boxset was WAY overpriced...especially considering these films don't look great. There was obviously minimal clean-up evidenced by a lot of dirt and specs.

Last edited by DavidH; 05-05-04 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-05-04, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
And others need to lighten up.

Robert's post could have been more helpful by providing a link to the thread in question, but I don't see how his assumption that people know what HTF is somehow makes him the devil incarnate.

Try not to jump to ugly conclusions, and certainly try to avoid making personal attacks against someone who was, at least to some degree, trying to be helpful.
His post was not helpful and in no way added a thing to the discussion. He could have answered the original question in just as many words, or provided a link, or even mentioned what the HTF was. Instead he sounded like an elitist trying to show his superiority by stating that it had already been discussed elsewhere. I don't think I need to lighten up at all. It was a rude comment to make, and it is things like that which make a forum unpleasant (although thankfully most people here are fine).
Old 05-05-04, 03:46 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Wannabe
Which quote is 1st???

Has it been passed thru Lowry or not???
Old 05-05-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a sale at Circuit City next week. The Godfather Collection for $50. Check it out in the DVD Bargains section. Just for anyone who's been waiting to get it, I know I'll pick it up finally.
Old 05-05-04, 04:03 PM

The HTF has structured, mature discussions as opposed to here, where the discussions devolve into pointless bickering and mud-slinging.
Old 05-05-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The HTF has structured, mature discussions as opposed to here, where the discussions devolve into pointless bickering and mud-slinging.
Your original post wasn't helpful, but it probably didn't deserve the response it got.

I think its funny you say that about HTF, because they have all kinds of pointless threads that have evolved into bickering and mud-slinging. But your comment just kind reinforces the view that some over at HTF are a bunch of snobs and anal retentive folks.

Most notably the fun Alien Quadrilogy threads, and even the Godfather thread, where somebody got crucified for actually doing some reasearch with Lowry Digital

Last edited by chanster; 05-05-04 at 04:28 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.