Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

How do you sort your collection? So if you get a new one...

Old 05-03-04, 09:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

is it easy to just put into collection? I keep running into problems as I have it sorted by genre and when I get a new one I have to shift all DVD's to accomodate the one. Sure I left spaces long ago, but can't keep up and space is running out.

So is there any easy way? Something someone does might help me...
Old 05-03-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried the genre thing, but unless you have a massive collection it doesn't really serve a purpose.

I have about 350, and only separate the TV genre from the rest. All are alphabetical. TV genre is alphabetical in a separate rack.

Mixed title boxed sets (i.e. High School Reunion Collection, Hitchcock Criterion) that are not sequals of each other are broken up and mixed in alphabetically with the others. Sequals are kept together, even if the titles are different (i.e. Vacation series are all under V, as I condider them Vacation Parts 1-4).

Whatever works!
Old 05-03-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Regarding shifting, yes, I have to shift them all down when I add a new one, and it doesn't bother me.
Old 05-03-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
It's sorta a pain but part of the fun of getting new DVDs. It's all part of my ritual when getting a new disc.
Old 05-03-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've got mine alphabetized, including TV shows. I usually stack up new purchases until I have 15-20 and then either my wife or myself will go through and add them in. I like this method because it also helps us identify what we haven't watched yet at a glance.
Old 05-03-04, 09:53 PM
Banned

Well, I generally sort them by genre, but in no particular order, except for my historical/war films to which I sort by time period (Roman/Greek, Medieval, Renaissance, Civil War, WWI, WWII, Modern). However because my space is becoming an issue, I'm constantly having to re-arrange.

I'd almost have to post some pics of my collection to explain it.
Old 05-03-04, 10:14 PM

i have around 350+ dvds and i sort them by genres. shifting is not really a problem since i have two of the boltz dvd rack. each rack has 7 shelves that makes a total of 14 shelves. a genre would occupy either one or two shelves with plenty of slacks.
Old 05-03-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
I tried the genre thing, but unless you have a massive collection it doesn't really serve a purpose.

my library is very genre focused. great system and it works for me.

Whatever works!
Old 05-03-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
I used to sort them mostly by genre, but I've run out of room on my shelves so they are all over the place. I'm sure things will change if I get another set of shelves in the next couple months.
Old 05-04-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i go alphabetically by first name of assistant editor but on tuesdays i rearrange by height. sometimes ill go by average age of the actors in the film but thats only if im in the mood.
Old 05-04-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I add up the ASCII values of every letter in the movie's title, and sort from lowest to highest that way.
Old 05-04-04, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I'm to lazy to shift my collection, so I just sort them according to my purchase date respectively. I have a database on my computer so it won't be too hard to track down a disc (it's not that many anyway)
Old 05-04-04, 04:54 AM

Mine are sorted by genre, except i have two shelves of new additions. When I feel like getting around to it, i will put them into the collection properly. The only important thing is I know where everything is. I couldn't care less if anyone else can find something!
Old 05-04-04, 07:02 AM

For me... alphabetically is the ONLY way.

I've never understood organizing by "genre" and I HATE it when stores attempt to do it. One person's comedy is another person's drama. It's like when the Golden Globes does it .... it just doesn't work.
Old 05-04-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My order has a madness that only I understand... some sections are sorted by genre... some are grouped by main actor / actress... Most of the snappers are in a seperate section... I think I may actually alphabetize most of the collection soon and see how that works out for me... I don't know though... I hate the idea of a weird flow of snapper to amaray and back in my media drawers... I think that the real key is that I need to update dvdprofiler with drawer locations so that I ALWAYS know where to find what I want... though for me it's usually not that tough since I put them away and I have a VERY good memory.

Last edited by ScottyWH; 05-04-04 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-04-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I go by genre. I trade allot so if I run out of space I'll scrounge up a few to trade in. Another thing I've begun doing to save space is consolidate sequels. Boxsets I'll leave alone but Mummy(s), Little Mermaid(s), Charlies Angels, Tomb Raider(s), etc, I've consolidated into one 2 disc case saving space on the shelf.
Old 05-04-04, 08:45 AM

I have so darn many of the things that I have to use a three-tiered system. The "Watched" collection consists of the DVDs that I've viewed in total -- film, features, and commentary tracks. The "Interim" shelves are those in which I watched the film but didn't get around to listening to the commentary or watching the other features. And the "New" shelves are those that I haven't watched at all. Due to the abundance of great new releases (especially those time-consuming sets!), those last two sections are getting larger and larger. I can't keep up! Stop me before I buy again! (Oh yeah, I file alphabetically, but keep boxed sets separate from individual discs -- they tend to fight...)
Old 05-04-04, 08:59 AM

My DVDs (close to 625) are arranged by director, and then chronologically within each director. (I guess that makes me an auteurist). I leave enough slack on each shelf so that I have room to add new titles. I have a separate shelf for TV titles (I only have about 20), arranged alphabetically.

This works best for my collection (I tend to have multiple films by a large number of directors). Since about a third of my films are foreign, sorting by title would be difficult (for one thing, it would separate Jean Renoir's The Rules of the Game (Criterion) and La Règle du jeu (bfi). Likewise, over two-thirds of my films could be called "dramas," so sorting by genre wouldn't make much sense, either.

Peace.
Old 05-04-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I sort by studio. And yes there is shifting. Genre sorting would drive me nuts. I mean just look at all of Guzzlefish's genres and sub genres.
Old 05-04-04, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by The Escapist
I have so darn many of the things that I have to use a three-tiered system. The "Watched" collection consists of the DVDs that I've viewed in total -- film, features, and commentary tracks. The "Interim" shelves are those in which I watched the film but didn't get around to listening to the commentary or watching the other features. And the "New" shelves are those that I haven't watched at all. Due to the abundance of great new releases (especially those time-consuming sets!), those last two sections are getting larger and larger. I can't keep up! Stop me before I buy again! (Oh yeah, I file alphabetically, but keep boxed sets separate from individual discs -- they tend to fight...)
Holy crap thats exactly what I do.... and my "never opened" and "havent watched all the features" sections are now rediculously bigger than my "watched everything" section....
Old 05-04-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pdjennings

I've never understood organizing by "genre" and I HATE it when stores attempt to do it. One person's comedy is another person's drama. It's like when the Golden Globes does it .... it just doesn't work.
Or Blockbuster Video. GoodFellas; Action? I think not.
Old 05-04-04, 10:10 AM

I make it a point to never sort my collection. That way when I'm browsing for a dvd to watch I'm not always seeing the same dvd's in the same order, etc.

Did that make sense???
Old 05-04-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pdjennings

it works based on my personal definition of each genre. sure there are some that are ambiguous but most fit. are you saying dumb and dumber could be mistaken for a drama or action film? i'd say 97.25% of the time, the genre definitions are fine. so, yes, it does work. just not for you, i guess.

i use genre... sort of. b/c i have a ton of dvds, i can't keep track anymore. so the only thing i do now is keep the criterions and foreign dvds separated.

you guys remember that CAT CUE thing? where you could scan the upc codes? i used to keep track of all my dvds and that thing saved me a ton of time. but even that has been put aside b/c i've gotten too lazy to update the database everytime i got some new dvds.
Old 05-04-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine is pretty much alphabetical, although I have TV Sets (under the TV in a cabinet), boxed sets, animated and snappers seperated out (also alphabetically). Luckily, I have plenty of extra space right now, so adding new ones is easy--when I start running out of space, then it's a bit of a pain.
Old 05-04-04, 10:24 AM

i sort by studio .... its harder for others to find stuff , but i have a moviegrafic (read: photographic) memory when it comes to useless movie trivia. i fint it easy

daredevil=fox
beautiful girls=miramax
die hard = fox
swat = colombia/ sony

and so on. when i add a new one it just goes at the end of the run on that studios shelf. i do try to keep them also sorted by case style, and spline label when im feeling fanciful

thorn

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.