Reload this Page >

WWE DVD Bootlegs

WWE DVD Bootlegs

Old 04-29-04, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WWE DVD Bootlegs

From www.pwinsider.com

WWE STRONGLY SEEKING OUT BOOTLEGGERS OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL IN BID TO PROTECT VIDEO LIBRARIES
by Mike Johnson @ 11:27:00 AM on 4/29/2004

With the forthcoming debut of WWE 24/7 Video on Demand service and more and more classic footage being utilized for World Wrestling Entertainment DVDs, I am told that WWE is taking a much closer and harder look towards those who sell what WWE views as bootlegged versions of material they own the rights to.

One source I spoke to noted that the WWE stance is that any wrestling footage that falls under the umbrellas of Jim Crockett Promotions, WCW, ECW, the AWA, and even Mid-Atlantic and Georgia Championship Wrestling all rightfully belongs to them thanks to the different libraries WWE has purchased over the last several years, and they are going to make sure that no other outlet is selling them.

The WWE view is clear and one that really cannot be argued with legally – WWE paid for the footage and they are going to protect it.

I am told WWE currently has three employees who are responsible for seeking out websites and online auctions that sell material owned by WWE. The promotion is also in regular contact with the top online auction website Ebay, requesting that auctions that infringe on their copyrights be immediately removed.

Although tape trading and even secondary tape selling has become common within the hardcore wrestling fan fraternity, copyright offenses can be prosecuted criminally. A convicted Virginia-based bootlegger who was found guilty of selling WWE, WCW, and Ring of Honor footage last year ended up with a six month jail sentence.

The best selling WWE DVD to date was the Ultimate Ric Flair Collection, which was made up mostly of classic NWA bouts featuring Flair, Barry Windham, Harley Race, Ricky Steamboat and others from that era.
It seems that all those bootleg Wrestlemania DVDs will be long gone from Ebay in the near future.
Old 04-29-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I hope the WWE doesn't keep all that footage to themselves!

I want to see all the mid-atlantic stuff. I want to see a disk (double?) of Ric Flair promos & interviews. I even wouldn't mind seeing monthly sets of the "best of" NWA TBS shows. Doubt it if they're going to release it the way the fans really want it. Even many of the Ric Flair promos on the triple DVD set were edited.
Old 04-29-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Also, I wonder how this affects ECW DVDs in R1 and R2.
Old 04-29-04, 11:29 AM
Banned

Also, I wonder how this affects ECW DVDs in R1 and R2.
Actually, the ECW DVDs are completely legal since they were produced when ECW was still alive by Pioneer. I believe that most of them, if not all, are out of print. What I really hope is that WWE release all the Coliseum Videos on DVD, as well as the footage the bought from other companies like WCW, ECW, NWA, etc.
Old 04-29-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd like to get that VOD channel, hope Time Warner carries it.
Old 04-29-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dx23
Actually, the ECW DVDs are completely legal since they were produced when ECW was still alive by Pioneer. I believe that most of them, if not all, are out of print. What I really hope is that WWE release all the Coliseum Videos on DVD, as well as the footage the bought from other companies like WCW, ECW, NWA, etc.
I know but since Vince owns all the footage...
Old 04-29-04, 01:27 PM

When does WWE 24/7 come out? Whats VOD, will it be on DirecTV? What CH #?
Old 04-29-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember reading awhile back that the reason that WWE was buying up all the footage from WCW, ECW, AWA, etc. was so that there would be no wrestling network, either by themselves or a competitor.

WWF/WWE could make a killing off a wrestling based cable network, but they seem to never really pursued it. They produce something like 500+ hours of content every year by themselves, plus they have their extensive library of content just from their own programming. Then throw in all the WCW, ECW, AWA, Crockett, and some NWA programming that they own and they could probably get by never showing the same show twice in a year.
Old 04-29-04, 03:58 PM

VOD or in this case SVOD stands for (Subscription) Video On Demand.

It is only available to Cable companies at the moment, it is not "a channel".

Cable companies have servers set up where they put programming on. HBO On Demand, Starz! On Demand, etc. You navigate the VOD (SVOD) service thru your cable box, choose what you want to watch (wether it be free or subscription based), watch it when you want to watch it. Pause, fast forward, rewind, at your finger tips.

If you want more information on VOD, go to http://www.dslreports.com and look in the Cable TV and Sattelite forum.
Old 04-29-04, 06:46 PM

i just wonder if the dvds will be fake like the rasslin' is...

don't yell at me, just wanted to see all your ultimate warrior painted faces smile
Old 04-29-04, 06:50 PM

Re: WWE DVD Bootlegs

Originally posted by dx23
From www.pwinsider.com

It seems that all those bootleg Wrestlemania DVDs will be long gone from Ebay in the near future.

well if WWE would get around to releasing the old material of PPV's on DVD, maybe there wouldnt be Bootlegs.

I rather have the material on DVD, instead of purchesing it for a one time viewing off cable's video on demand service.

Last edited by kthemmes; 04-29-04 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-29-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If Vince thinks piracy is rampant NOW, just wait till he starts his 24/7 wrestling channel