Community
Search

Owners of Best Buy Star Trek Season Sets Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-04, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owners of Best Buy Star Trek Season Sets Please Help

I've been looking to ebay since I didn't buy TNG and DS9 the first time around and I'm wondering if the bonus discs Best Buy included are worth paying the extra money for.

I have received Best Buy Bonus discs for other releases and they have for the most part been retreads of material from bonus features on the standard release discs. For example, the recently released Mater and Commander bonus disc is basically a re-edit of material found on the second disc of the regular package. Not worth the extra money IMO.

Are the Star Trek bonus discs also retreads or is the content 100% exclusive to those bonus discs?
Old 04-29-04, 11:44 AM

"I'm wondering if the bonus discs Best Buy included are worth paying the extra money for."

No.
Old 04-29-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those bonus discs go on eBay for up to $40. Definately not worth it. Don't get me wrong the bonus discs are great, but does not warrant such a price, IMO. Luckily I was able to get some of the DS9 seasons with the bonus disc included, so I lucked out. However, if you can find them cheap, I would get them. The discs are great and contain some very interesting information.
Old 04-29-04, 11:51 AM
Banned

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about getting them separate. I'm weighing bidding on sets that have them vs. sets that do not. There are plenty of season sets on ebay that have the bonus disc included, but do go for a higher price on average.
Old 04-29-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
They don't tend to have anything of real substance. If you were a hardcore Trekkie, I'd say go for it, but honestly, I wouldn't. You could however buy them with the bonus disc and then sell it separately, bringing down the overall cost of the set.
Old 04-29-04, 02:28 PM

I have them. I bought them at Best Buy during each one's first week, so they were $99.99. Are they worth it? *shrug* How often do you rewatch any extras? The material is not available elsewhere, and is generally the same format as the "regular" extras in the set. That is, they cut a segment or two for each one just so they could create these for the US market. I think R2 has all this stuff in the regular sets. FYI, the first three TNG do not have a DVD extra, they have a CD extra, and those are audiobooks and such.