Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Best studio for TV on DVD?

View Poll Results: Best Studio for TV on DVD?
20th Century Fox
64.41%
Warner Brothers / HBO
23.73%
Buena Vista
0%
Columbia
1.69%
Shout Factory
0%
Anchor Bay
3.39%
MGM
1.69%
Paramount
0%
Other
3.39%
I don't Buy TV on DVD
1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Best studio for TV on DVD?

Old 04-27-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Studio That Produces the Best TV-Shows-On-DVD

The Other day I was giving this alot of thought, and my final conclusion was Fox closely being followed by Warner Brothers.

Fox was the first studio to produce a TV-Show-on-DVD set with the X-files (followed closly by Warner with "sex and the city" and "sopranos"). And ever since then Fox has been bringing quality Sets (although no widescreen on Buffy is a minus) and they incorporate alot of special features (on most sets there are over 5 featurettes and atleast 4 commentaries). Not only that but Fox has realized that there is a calling for series that only lasted half a season.

Warner is a close second because they are stedially discovering how to use the technology to there benefit (ER Season One, is one my favorite sets)...

Althogh Shout Factory has to be considered due to "freaks and geeks"

But what studio do you think is the best?
Old 04-27-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
content wise- the Freaks & Geeks set is a very impressive production.
29 commentaries for only 18 episodes?!
deleted scenes on every episode

that's the most ancilliary content i've ever seen.

on the whole though, balancing disc content, and quality of packaging, i'm most impressed by the Dick Van Dyke sets put out by Image.
Old 04-27-04, 10:17 PM

I also like Babylon 5 DVD set. And Star Trek : TNG and DS9 DVD set are pretty good too. 6 Feet Under is also very good.
Old 04-27-04, 10:22 PM

I have several DVD set from WB/HBO. They make good TV shows on DVD!
Old 04-27-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I screwed up. I picked Fox, but I should have picked other for A&E. The chance to own shows like The Avengers and The Prisoner on a (presumed) permenent medium are about 90% of the reason I got a DVD player in the first place. I'm pretty sure I own more A&E TV sets than any other, probably by a lot.
Old 04-27-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Studio That Produces the Best TV-Shows-On-DVD

Originally posted by critterdvd
And ever since then Fox has been bringing quality Sets (although no widescreen on Buffy is a minus)
We got what the director wanted didn't we? He said is wasn't suppose to be in Widescreen so we didn't get it Widescreen. I swear I remember that from the huge Buffy/Angel/Widescreen/Fullscreen threads we had going here some time ago.

Anyway....I agree that Fox is the best of the best when it comes to TV shows. With everyone is seems to be hit or miss depending on the show, it's fans and the content that can be found. I think Fox really takes pride in the shows they produce and I feel that most other studios get stuff out there just to make money. I'm not saying Fox isn't after money but I sure as heck feel better about giving them my money for all the shows I buy from them.
Old 04-28-04, 12:02 AM
Suspended

Dude - it's all about the Rhino love! Transformers, GI Joe, Jem, HR Puffnstuff (and the other Sid and Marty shows) - all lovingly presented in nice sets with some pretty sweet extras.

Also, I would be remiss if I didnt rave about the quality of the Doctor Who discs - so the BBC owns you all in that regard.
Old 04-28-04, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fox followed closely by WB. I'm excluding HBO though since I've been very disappointed with their recent pricing for the 5th and 6th seasons of Sex and the City.

And yes, Buffy is meant to be seen in 4:3. Although I'm still sticking with the R2 sets for Seasons 4-7 for the widescreen transfers.
Old 04-28-04, 05:13 AM
SJL

BBC and BBC America.

Their transfers are the best i've ever seen. Make the rest on the list look like amateurs.

A joy to watch their titles.
Old 04-28-04, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best => MGM...great prices on their TV boxes

Worst => Paramount...high prices, and still no Brady Bunch!
Old 04-28-04, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The strikes against Fox are the slow release pattern for The Simpsons and the very high price for The X-Files (soon to be remedied after the release of season 9). Otherwise, they're the best studio for TV DVDs.
Old 04-28-04, 07:35 AM

I'll go with Warner. Fox would get my vote, but I take away points from their marketing dept. because their sets are not available in Columbia House. :thumbdown:
Old 04-28-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fox. Consistent releases and quality presentations.
Old 04-28-04, 08:40 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I gotta' go with Fox on this one. HBO comes in 2nd.
Old 04-28-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Simpson Purist
The strikes against Fox are the slow release pattern for The Simpsons and the very high price for The X-Files (soon to be remedied after the release of season 9). Otherwise, they're the best studio for TV DVDs.
I still think the X-Files sets are priced too high. $99 MSRP for an hour show is ridiculas.

There were between 19-25 episodes per season. Let's compare (1st Season):

Alias (22 episodes) $69.99
24 (24 episodes) $69.99
ER (26 episodes) $59.98
CSI (23 episodes) $89.99
Stargate (22 episodes) $69.96
Angel (22 episodes) $59.98
Party of Five (22 episodes) $49.95
Old 04-28-04, 10:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Fox for being the leader and slowly working on that pricing scheme for X-Files. Warner a close second for the great (and fast) Friends sets and BBC product. Paramount and Universal dead last for horribly high pricing.
Old 04-28-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I voted FOX because they have released so many great shows, with quality presentations (Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama). The biggest complaint I have with them is them not releasing volume 2 of Son of the Beach.
Old 04-28-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also agree that Fox and WB are the cream. Both studios present excellent product of desirable shows at reasonable prices (with some exceptions, such as X-Files). Buena Vista also deserves mention for its spectacular treatment of the Alias line.

One the flip-side, I have found the Columbia bargain classic show sets to be lacking in both picture quality and supplements.
Old 04-28-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd go with the Fox sets in a heartbeat. Family Guy, The Simpsons, The Shield, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, 24, The X-Files, The Tick, Futurama, etc, etc. All are excellent shows with a great presentation, not to mention great extras. IMO Fox is head and shoulders above the rest of the studios when it comes to TV releases.
Old 04-28-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well the Simpsons are stuck on what season 3? I'd have to go with Warner for Friends.
Old 04-28-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Well the Simpsons are stuck on what season 3? I'd have to go with Warner for Friends.
I'm not basing my opinion on how quickly studios get their product out, I'm basing it on the quality of said product.
Old 04-28-04, 08:00 PM

I do know that Joss Whedon wishs for Buffy to remain in 4:3, but I believe that Fox should give us the choice...

Also, I have uncovered some information on the high pricing of The X-Files discs. The X-Files was bassically the first TV show to ever be put on DVD, and therefore there was no medium for the set (like what should be on it, how many eppys per disc, price, and such) and they even that to create a new market, so they desided to the treat it like 6 movies: 6 Discs X $24.99 per disc = $149.99 (giving the bonus disc as free). But sense then they have realized that the price is too high and I believe next month will be dropping the price $50.

But now that we now why Fox chargs so much for X-Files, I would like to know Paramount's excuse for charging $149.99 for a season of "Star Trek." "Star Trek: TNG Season 1" was released way after Buffy, sopranos, and Friends... Paramount knew the average price of a season, yet they still charged a price which has kept alot of there sets on the sleves.

Paramounts high prices is what I believe keeps them of my list of Studios that I like to buy DVD's from... They like to release bare-bone movies and charge an arm and a leg for them ($29.99 for each brady bunch, adams family, clueless, friday the 13th (until last october), and others is just way to high for a trailer).