Community
Search

Buffy Commentaries

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy Commentaries

I was thinking the other day about all the great episodes in the TV show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" but then I realized that most of these episodes for some reason or another did not reseave a Commentary on the DVD's... I have broken these episodes down by seasons...

Season 1 - Angel (where we find out Angel is a Vampire... Hello! Major Episode) & Prophecy Girl

Season 2 - Becoming (Most Fans believe this to be the single greatest Buffy episode ever)

Season 3 - The Wish, Choices, Prom, Graduation Day... Look at the Commentaries for Season 3, sure they are on good episodes, but i would gladly have taken a commentary on the above episodes over Bad girls and Consequences...

Season 4 - No Complants

Season 5 - The Gift (The Original Series Finale did not warrent a Commentary but 'I was made to Love you' did?)

Season 6 - No Complants

Season 7 - Bring on the night.

Does anyone else think of any other episode that need commentary (or episodes that did not need commentaries?)
Old 04-23-04, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Buffy Commentaries

Originally posted by critterdvd

Season 2 - Becoming (Most Fans believe this to be the single greatest Buffy episode ever)
Any fan knows that "Hush" is the best Buffy episode.

Anyway, most of the Buffy commentaries are pretty "dry"...I don't miss the ones we didn't get.
Old 04-23-04, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Buffy Commentaries

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Any fan knows that "Hush" is the best Buffy episode.
Not so sure about that. It may be the best stand-alone/post-high school ep (with the Body and IMO the musical) but as far as best canonical classic Buffy, it's hard to top the Angel/Angelus arc. Buffy season 2 is damn near perfect television.
Old 04-23-04, 09:47 AM

The best Buffy episode is The Body. Possibly one of the best written TV shows ever.
Austin
Old 04-23-04, 10:08 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Buffy Commentaries

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
Not so sure about that. It may be the best stand-alone/post-high school ep (with the Body and IMO the musical) but as far as best canonical classic Buffy, it's hard to top the Angel/Angelus arc. Buffy season 2 is damn near perfect television.
Personally, I think S2 sucked, but that's my opinion. Anyway, I would say the best single eps are "Once More, With Feeling", "The Body", "Hush", and "Restless". More on topic, it really depends who wrote the episode as far as whether there's a commentary or not. Jane Espenson seems to like to do them, as does Joss. I don't remember Marti Noxon doing any (she may have, and I've just forgotten), and I'm not as sure about some of the other writers.
Old 04-23-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What? No love for Seth?
Old 04-23-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Buffy Commentaries

Originally posted by wendersfan
I don't remember Marti Noxon doing any (she may have, and I've just forgotten),
She does a commentary over both halves of the S6 opener, Bargaining Parts 1-2, but it's not a very good track at all.
Old 04-23-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Austin54
The best Buffy episode is The Body. Possibly one of the best written TV shows ever.
Austin
Sucked. Was WAY too depressing. I watch these shows to ESCAPE reality, not wallow in it.
Old 04-23-04, 11:31 AM

Noxon did a commentary on the two parts of What's My Line in S2, IIRC.

Put me down for "The Body" as the best ep, at least through S5 (I'm a DVD Buffy fan, and haven't seen S6 or S7 yet).
Old 04-23-04, 11:31 AM

'Hush' reminds me too much of 'Dark City'.

Sade
Old 04-23-04, 05:09 PM

Let me start by saying I'm not a fan of the series and this isn't meant to thread crap.

I just last week finished watching season 2-5 which I only got since I got em super cheap. I really found the commentaries annoying since they constantly talked about later stuff. Much later. Telling me what happens in season 5 when I'm watching season 2 is not cool. I suppose they didn't expect to have new viewers for the dvds. Eventually I realized this was a pattern and stopped listening to them.

And Marti Noxious did do commentaries. One that really pissed me off was an episode with Kendra. Noxious said they wanted to make her "more hip, less ethnic." How obnoxious and so very white! Speaking of which, the black presence was dismal (super hot Kendra killed, super hot Olivia hardly there, and Mr. Trick) but this was supposed to be Santa Barbara, CA. Where the hell are the Mexicans? Where the hell are the Asians? Can't help but think this says something about the people behind the series.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 04-23-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't remember which eps do & don't have commentaries. But, I don't really care anymore because almost everyone through season 5 was boring. I really expected much, much more from the commentaries considering how great most the episodes are written. All I kept thinking when listening to most of commentaries was "How could {insert writer's name here} write such a great, funny, witty, dramatic episode, but be so goddamn boring??"

Yes, Becoming pt 2 is the best episode. Any episode with Riley is disqualified from consideration.

re: The Body; what nodeerforamonth said. Except for the "Sucked" part. Great episode. But not one I really enjoy watching. Which in a way is great praise.

thawtz: re:blacks, mexicans, and asians. This was the only thing I found embarrassing about telling people I was a huge BtVS fan. Considering where Sunnydale is supposed to be, the show was way, way, waaayyy too white.
Old 04-23-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Commentary

Don't Forget that Noxon did a Commentary with Joss Whedon and Seth Green on the Season 4 episode, "Wild at Heat." But I believe that commentary was only included on the region 1 releases.