Community
Search

Kill Bill Vol 1 DVD English Subtitles should be ON

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
An additional example would be the great Japanese WWII film Fires on the Plain. In the film the Japanese speak in Japanese so there are electronicly generated subtitles in english for english speaking audiences. In some scenes of the film there are white actors playing American soldiers and they speak english. When they speak in english there are Japanese character subtitles burned into the image. I can't read the subs, and I don't need to because I can understand english, but I would never want the Japanese character subtitles to be removed because they are a part of the image.
I think your stance is a little too hard-line. There are certain portions of on-screen text like location identifiers, credits, or something like the prologue text at the opening of The Terminator, that are part of the movie image and should never be tampered with. However, I don't see subtitles that translate dialogue as falling into that category unless it is designed and placed for specific artistic effect.
Old 04-26-04, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally HATE player generated subtitles. The subtitles for "Kill Bill" in the theater were very nice and clean, and while the DVD keeps the same yellow-gold color, they are not nice and clean. They're jagged as all DVD player-generated subtitles are. When you watch the movie in the theater, they don't show the subtitles below the picture. They're burned into the picture. So every movie geek in here who complains that a movie is in 5.1 when it was originally mono, why do they want their subtitles below the picture screen? That's not the way they originally saw it in theaters. Personally I like the subtitles that aren't in the picture, too, but I'd like them generated by the movie and not the player.
Old 04-26-04, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the case of Star Wars: Episode 1 and 2, obviously none of us speak whatever language Sebulba speaks, or Jabba the Hutt or many other aliens, so why on earth would they default to player generated subtitles that you don't have the option of turning off anyway. They just look ugly!!!
Old 04-26-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, I'm fluent in Huttese. Although my Bocce's a little rusty.
Old 04-26-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Admiral7
In the case of Star Wars: Episode 1 and 2, obviously none of us speak whatever language Sebulba speaks, or Jabba the Hutt or many other aliens, so why on earth would they default to player generated subtitles that you don't have the option of turning off anyway. They just look ugly!!!
The movie is mastered for video once with no subtitles. The same video master can be exported to all regions and countries, where subtitles in different languages will be encoded onto the discs as appropriate. This saves the studio from wasting money on multiple video transfers.

It's not like the French theatrical prints had English subtitles during those scenes.

The player-generated subtitles looking ugly... well, that's a different matter.
Old 04-26-04, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lack of burned in subtitles in Ep. 1 and 2 really bugs me. You all know my stance. And now, based on what I hear, I'll be skipping Kill Bill.
Old 04-26-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my god, people won't buy a dvd just because the subs are not burned in?? they are not burned in since there are also japanese subtitles for the english speakers, but when japanese dialogue is spoken, there are no subs.