Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Up to 6 Versions of KILL BILL Planned!! Ticking Me Off!!

Community
Search

Up to 6 Versions of KILL BILL Planned!! Ticking Me Off!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 01:32 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Up to 6 Editions of KILL BILL Planned!! Ticking Me Off!!

This came from DigitalBits today (04/21/2004. Here's a direct link*. http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

The fact that there mau up to six different versions with no announcement of that fact before many people snatched up the first version really ticks me off!!

-----

Finally this morning, I've saved the best (or worst) for last. The NY Times has a new story up on how the Hollywood studios are rushing to cash in on the DVD boom. Here's your happy, happy, joy, joy from the article... Miramax is reportedly preparing to release a half-dozen different DVD editions of Kill Bill:

"This is the beauty of having two volumes," said Rick Sands, chief operating officer at Miramax. "Vol. 1 goes out, Vol. 2 goes out, then Vol. 1 Special Edition, Vol. 2 Special Edition, the two-pack, then the Tarantino collection as a boxed set out for Christmas. It's called multiple bites at the apple. And you multiply this internationally." Mr. Tarantino has also cut an alternate version of the movie for Japan.

I'm gonna ask the obvious right now: Can you believe the BALLS required to make a statement like that in public? To a reporter? For a story that people are going to READ?! Do you suppose Miramax planned to let fans of the film know about all this, so they could... oh, I don't know... maybe make informed decisions about which version they want to spend their hard-earned cash on? I can understand the need to put out multiple DVD versions of a film on occasion, but DAMN! A half-dozen different DVD editions, and Tarantino wants to release stand-alone Beneath the Crust-style discs of supplemental materials as well?! F#@K THAT.

Multiple bites at the apple, huh?

BITE THIS!

And to think the entertainment industry has the nerve to wonder why some people download this stuff. Greedy bastards. Doh!

------

* If you try the link after this date, you may have to look in the archives.

Last edited by rich-y; 04-21-04 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-21-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
now this "tarantino box set" for christmas, thats for what all his movies, 1 and 2 combined,
Old 04-21-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um.. I count 2 versions. They read english in what?

Vol. 1 and vol. 2 normal edition. <- 1 version.
Vol. 1 and vol. 2 special edition. <- 1 version.

2 pack is just the 2 movies packed together. No new version there.

Tarantino pack would be Kill Bill, Pulp and Jackie in a package. No new version there either.

Whoever wrote that article must be 13-15 years old.
Old 04-21-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QT is really scamming everybody. Luckily he won't get a penny from me.
Old 04-21-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good god. This has been posted in at least 6 threads. One thread for each movie, I guess.

To be honest, all of these reeases stem from the decision to split the movie into 2 movies. Everything else seemed pretty logical from that point one.

Kill Bill Vol 1.
Kill Bill Vol. 1 Special Edition

Kill Bill Vo. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2 Special Editon

Kill Bill 1 + 2 - Combined

Box set, probably with exclusive extras.

(Somebody asked bout the 2 pack) I bet it will be the re-edit of the movie into one whole. We will see.
Old 04-21-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A WINNER IS YOU!!
Old 04-21-04, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
now this "tarantino box set" for christmas, thats for what all his movies, 1 and 2 combined,
Who Knows?!?! I'm assuming they mean a Kill Bill Box Set; but, you never know with a company that trades consumer confidence with perceived profit.
Old 04-21-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rich-y
Who Knows?!?! I'm assuming they mean a Kill Bill Box Set; but, you never know with a company that trades consumer confidence with perceived profit.
Dude.. 1+1=2, not 6.
Old 04-21-04, 01:57 PM

They already lost me as a customer when they decided to cut the movie in half and cash in twice. Yeah, I know they did pretty well and are very proud of their marketing strategy (made publicly) but at least they lost 2 (inc. me dragging my fiancee to watch it ) customers at the boxoffice and 1 ~ 2 DVD sales (and to think that I buy almost everything....).

Just doing my parting on trying to stop the stuidos repeating the same strategy.
Old 04-21-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pixy-

Why are you jumping on this author? He uses the word "editions" which is not versions. He is correct, there could be 6 different pressings of the movies with different UPCs and the such.

You assume the 2 pack is just a repackage, which I doubt.
Old 04-21-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by KKnight
They already lost me as a customer when they decided to cut the movie in half and cash in twice. Yeah, I know they did pretty well and are very proud of their marketing strategy (made publicly) but at least they lost 2 (inc. me dragging my fiancee to watch it ) customers at the boxoffice and 1 ~ 2 DVD sales (and to think that I buy almost everything....).

Just doing my parting on trying to stop the stuidos repeating the same strategy.
would you rather them cut out about an hour of stuff (which would kill the film pacing wise) or sit in a movie theater for 4 hours.
Old 04-21-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chanster
Pixy-

Why are you jumping on this author? He uses the word "editions" which is not versions. He is correct, there could be 6 different pressings of the movies with different UPCs and the such.

You assume the 2 pack is just a repackage, which I doubt.
More or less I'd be jumping on the 15 year old who wrote his little crying fest from The Digital Bits. "The two-pack" sure does sound like a simple re-package of both films together like many other two-packs on the shelves today of 2 exsisting seperate DVDs. Now, if people feel the need to rebuy the same DVDs because they're simply packaged together, more power to you. Overall, they're talking about 2 versions of each volume and some packaging schemes. Hardly sounds like they're forcing anybody to buy more than 1, all 600 (or whatever the pre-teen at Digital Bits counted), or any at all.
Old 04-21-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
No new information here at all.
Old 04-21-04, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Um.. I count 2 versions. They read english in what?
Vol. 1 and vol. 2 normal edition. <- 1 version.
Vol. 1 and vol. 2 special edition. <- 1 version.
Pixie:

Don't shot the messenger! I'm only relaying a story from another reputable website.

To help you understand that there are more than two editions mentioned in the article, let me try to explain a different way by assigining a hypothetical price to each:

Vol. 1 Normal Edition = $19.95
Vol. 2 Normal Edition. = $19.95
Vol. 1 Special Edition = $24.95
Vol. 2 Special Edition = $24.95
Box Set = $39.95
Tarantino Set = $79.95

Hypothetical Total = $209.70

You are assuming that a possible "Box Set" and "Tarantino Set" will not include any additional extras... but in reality they may. And, some people will buy ALL the editions available (especially rabid Tarantino fans).

Last edited by rich-y; 04-21-04 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-21-04, 02:24 PM

Pixy,

That "pre-teen" your talking about is the Bits' Editor in Chief, Bill Hunt. Maybe you should consider writing him a private letter to voice your displeasure instead of calling him names on a forum.

Just a thought.
Old 04-21-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have yet to see either of them, I'm waiting till they both come out on DVD then I can just rent them. Definitely cheaper then spending $9-$10 on 2 movie tickets.
Old 04-21-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More or less I'd be jumping on the 15 year old who wrote his little crying fest from The Digital Bits. "The two-pack" sure does sound like a simple re-package of both films together like many other two-packs on the shelves today of 2 exsisting seperate DVDs. Now, if people feel the need to rebuy the same DVDs because they're simply packaged together, more power to you. Overall, they're talking about 2 versions of each volume and some packaging schemes. Hardly sounds like they're forcing anybody to buy more than 1, all 600 (or whatever the pre-teen at Digital Bits counted), or any at all.
Whatever bro. Digitalbits aint counting squat. Its the Miramax guy who says there will be 6 editions, so if you want to quibble with him, go right ahead, but I think he knows better than you about the number "6" for Kill Bill DVD releases.
Old 04-21-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

hey, since "technically" reservoir dogs is a miramax movie (although artisan/lions gate owns the rights i think), miramax could release it. and they should include true romance as well if that indeed is possible). i'd buy the box set if there were tarantino comentaries.
Old 04-21-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Personally, I rather have multiple editions to choose from than settle for just one. Once I'm happy with a certain edition of a movie title I don't upgrade anymore. For example, T2 Ultimate, Pitch Black Unrated/DTS, etc.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I am most bothered by this statement:

Mr. Tarantino has also cut an alternate version of the movie for Japan.
Does this mean the U.S. will never see the more graphic version?
Banned

Originally posted by Rypro 525
hey, since "technically" reservoir dogs is a miramax movie (although artisan/lions gate owns the rights i think), miramax could release it. and they should include true romance as well if that indeed is possible). i'd buy the box set if there were tarantino comentaries.
Well "technically" it isn't a miramax film in any way, shape, or form.

To the thread starter who says:
Do you suppose Miramax planned to let fans of the film know about all this, so they could... oh, I don't know... maybe make informed decisions about which version they want to (buy)
Do you really need to be informed that they would do this? Even without an anouncement from the studio you should know they're going to double dip this.

Anyone who bought the bare bones Vol. 1 is a sucker.

For the first time in history they re-editted and re-engineered the marketing of a film to double dip IN THE THEATER. Did you think they wouldn't double dip on DVD?

Last edited by Pants; 04-21-04 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-21-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Pants
Well "technically" it isn't a miramax film in any way, shape, or form
read the first credit

"A miramax release"
Old 04-21-04, 02:38 PM
Banned

Well I'm dieing of suspense. Can you explain this one? Did QT buy back the rights?
Old 04-21-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think when the movie was released, disney and miramax were not together, and live/artisan released it. what do you mean "did QT buy back the rights."?
Old 04-21-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GaryEA
Pixy,

That "pre-teen" your talking about is the Bits' Editor in Chief, Bill Hunt. Maybe you should consider writing him a private letter to voice your displeasure instead of calling him names on a forum.

Just a thought.
Actually I did think about that this morning when I read the article many hours before it was posted here at DVDTalk but I figured it's his opinion, eh. I will admit my comments may have been a little harsh, and for that I apologize, but I would think somebody writing for a professional news site would be a little above such childish banter over what is essentially nothing more than studio wind at this point, because nothing is official; and regardless of how many individual edition DO come out, I think it's up to the mature consumer to decide for themselves if a new edition offers enough to warrant a rebuy instead of trying to blame the studio for doing their job (making money from movies).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.