Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Official Star Wars DVD specs from the official site!

Community
Search

Official Star Wars DVD specs from the official site!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 08:49 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is likely to be one of the best-selling DVDs of all time - I doubt retailers will under-order.
Old 04-22-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scott shelton
So what happens to these arguments when Peter Jackson changes the Gollum shots in FOTR for a future edition?
first thing i would do is actually watch the new film and see how well the new material is intergrated, and see if it serves the flow of the story or if it is just efx for the sake of eye candy, or even worse, eye candy that impairs the story.
same thing i did with the SW SEs.

believe it or not, not all of us went into a first viewing of these determined to hate them.
on the contrary, i went with a group of people quite excited to be seeing these on a big screen again.
however, assessing the alterations afterwards, i came to the reasoned conclusion that some of the changes were major ass, and that the net result wasn't that a mediocre film was improved, but that a great movie was now damaged.

damaged beyond repair?
no...especially if you are a relatively newer viewer of the films.
but some of the changes clearly are weaknesses now, and that makes the movies less than they were before.

Last edited by ckolchak; 04-22-04 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-23-04, 06:41 AM
Banned

DVDfile is reporting that the documentary (or at least part of it) will be shown on network TV.

Old 04-23-04, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
eye candy that impairs the story
98% of the changes and enhancements do nothing to impair the story or the storytelling. The only changes that do that are:

- Changing the Han/Greedo scene so Greedo shoots first
- Adding a scream to Luke's fall on Cloud City
- Changing Vader's line "Bring My Shuttle!"

Those are really the only changes that impair the story, and it's debateable whether #3 impairs the story. The reason those impair the storytelling because they change actual lines of dialogues and important scenes.

The real reason for the '97 SEs was to restore the film and their prints, and to update the look of the films and bring them into a new century, so they wouldn't look as dated. Why they saw fit to make those changes above, I'll never know. For this upcoming DVD, I imagine they tweak the effects until they get them just about perfect. They should have done this originally the first time they made the '97 SEs. But they didn't.
Old 04-23-04, 07:20 AM

DVDfile is reporting that the documentary (or at least part of it) will be shown on network TV.
That's weird. But it did say part of the doc will be shown on cable TV this fall. So it could very well be shown after the DVD has already been released.
Old 04-23-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 173 Posts
So?

USA Network plays Star Wars a few times a year--I'm still buying it.

Encore is showing LOTR, guess I need to sell that off. If something's on TV, the DVD is useless...

Old 04-23-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

98% of the changes and enhancements do nothing to impair the story or the storytelling. The only changes that do that are...
the changes that bother me the most, especially in ANH are
-the floating spy droids that accompany the stormtroopers
and
most of the 'background' cgi creatures added to Mos Eisley.

i think the changes to the greedo scene and the inclusion of the Jabba scene are both asinine (for different reasons) but one goes by in the blink of an eye (as stupid as it is) and the other can be quickly fast forwarded thru.

this is unlike the previous scenes,elements i mentioned.
the floating spy droid- when we (finally after a bunch of unneccessary slapstick antics from new cgi creatures who have no bearing on the plot, scene, or story) get to the checkpoint and we get our first example of Jedi power and some of the rationale behind it (having great effect over the weak minded), the meat of the scene has to NOW compete with the distraction of a hovering floating object that is calling attention to itself and drawing attention away from the interaction between Obi Wan and the trooper.
now, for a new viewer who has never seen this scene before, maybe they will better be able to 'tune' out this distraction, but for an older fan it is not only a needless addition, its a needless addition that takes away from the power the scene has previously had.

same thing with the "look sir, droids".
the FOCUS of that sequence is now no longer on the finding of the droid evidence- the focus has now become stormtrooper on dewbacks.
the finding of the evidence is now reduced to an anciliairy event. before that can occur we now need to see the dewback rear up and flex and move around.

does it kill the scene? maybe not, but it takes away from the lean-ness that the sequence had previously.
its the equivilent of an artist using 100 cross hatched lines to convey what one carefully chosen spot of black would have.
it is unnecessary filigree.
a pro can say much more with much less.
an amateur throws everything + the kitchen sink in, in a desperate attempt to impress and winds up being less impressive.

Terrell- were you of the opinion that the films sucked so much before that they needed all of these new little bits of business to maintain a viewers attention?
Old 04-23-04, 10:58 AM

Excellent point ckolchak
Old 04-23-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So are you saying Lucas is an amateur?
Old 04-23-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, Toad. An amateur never would have added those scenes to begin with. I have to admit, when I heard about the new footage, I was thinking "cool!". But to add CGI scenes because you can - not to further develop the story, but simply to be cool - isnt' that a bit self-important and self-congratulatory? None of the added scenes bother me too much, some are kinda cool, even. But do they add to the story? They stick out like a sore thumb.

But when you come down to it, I just wished they would offer both versions. It's like he's abandoning the original trilogy as they were made.

Wasn't it QT who said "I don't ever want to re-add scenes back into my movies - I make the movies *I* want to make". In other words - when you're done, be done. I hope QT doesn't come back some day and digitally add CGI scenes to Pulp Fiction, just because he can... Whether the scenes are "cool" or not.
Old 04-23-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't understand why anyone would be alright with the changes done to the original trilogy. That's like updating the special effects for The 10 Commandments! Don't you folks understand that Star Wars came out in 1977? That original version shown in theaters was the one that got millions of fans and even more fans in the future. Don't you realize that its a freakin' time capsule of how things were back then? A terrific movie that completely changed how movies were made. So, for the millions and millions of todays fans to find out that they will NEVER EVER again see that original version, youre goddamn right we have a right to be pissed. I honestly gave the Special Editions a fare chance, but they turned out to be crap as I was sitting inside the movie theaters. The changes were so pathetic. Just about every single one of them.

I notice that when talking about bad changes that most people only list the most obvious things. I'm here to tell you that there are a lot more things that you just dont remember. I sure as hell wont list all, but ill name 4.

1) Just before Luke and Leia do that little swing in the Death Star, for some reason they gave Leia's normal stormtrooper blaster a sound effect of a DIRTY HARRY MAGNUM! Can someone please explain this idiotic change? Its so goddamn out of place.

2) Why do every single new CGI dewback always have to make a noise when they are on camera. Its ILM's way of saying "hey look at me. IM NEW!"

3) Boba Fett's wink. A wink to all the fine ladies in the audience letting them know that Boba loves ya. Holla front! Lucas, youre an moron.

4) "Close the blast door" Yep. Lets add this really soft spoken line that can hardly be heard. Lets also hope that nobody notices the the voice sounds gay and sounds nothing like the rest of the stormtroopers.
Old 04-23-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Lara Means
So, for the millions and millions of todays fans to find out that they will NEVER EVER again see that original version
I dunno about you, but I *can* see the original version later when I go home if I want to. I have it on VHS. Some people have it on LD so your statement right there is a taaad inaccurate.

Lucas, youre an moron.
I'm guessing he knows when to properly use "a" and "an" though.
Old 04-23-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't understand why anyone would be alright with the changes done to the original trilogy. That's like updating the special effects for The 10 Commandments!

I agree. But, then, the stupid response to that is, "It's the director's freedom or right to change it.." No one is arguing that. But, just because you have the right to do something, does NOT mean you should do it for crying out loud. Lucas has the right to literally piss on his movies, but that doesn't mean he should do it. Oh - wait -- he already has!
Old 04-23-04, 03:49 PM
Banned

Looking forward to renting the bonus disc.
Old 04-23-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I must have that as soon as possible.

Too bad Lucus doesn't like DTS or the Original Trilogy anymore.
Old 04-23-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Kal-El
I'm guessing he knows when to properly use "a" and "an" though.
re: "youre"

And an apostrophe. :-)
Old 04-23-04, 04:18 PM

Well I know what I will NOT be buying this fall

Screw you Luca$$!

Sure many will say,no one can resist this set & everyone will buy them..even those who said they would not. Yet I am here to say,I will be true to my words & not purchase this set. Even if my original laserdiscs die & I am unable to make copies yet on dvd(no recorder). Then I will just live without the series. I feel that strongly about it.
Old 04-23-04, 04:31 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with ckolchak

GL went way overboard with the CGI. They were great for the star ship battles, but trying to put them in every scene is a distration from a fine movie.
Old 04-23-04, 04:31 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by Julie Walker
Screw you Luca$$!
Hi Julie,

The director/producer's name is George Lucas, not "Luca$$."

HTH
Old 04-23-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, this entire thread just made me want to buy an extra copy to say screw all the complainer$.

I now have two sets on preorder.

I'm excited!
Old 04-23-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Meesa like the list of special features.

Nice that they're giving us the original trailers and TV spots.
Old 04-23-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

island007,

I plan to *steal a copy and **return it for a refund. That should offset your extra copy. Plus compensate me for TPM and whatever that 2nd piece of crap was.

*Stealing is wrong...
**Returning movies that you didn't purchase is wrong...

Last edited by modfather; 04-23-04 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-23-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Well I know what I will NOT be buying this fall

Screw you Luca$$!
Wow, I remember when just one dollar sign used to be enough.
Old 04-28-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This thread was worth a scan through just to see all the newer people come in and bash Lucas . . . in that "let's go to the WWE event this weekend to watch all of the new people in the ringside seats" kind of way . . .
Old 04-28-04, 04:09 PM

I think that there are many more important things in the world to worry and complain about. These changes are taken so seriously. Good lord, get a grip.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.