Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

"Dawson's Creek" Season Releases

Community
Search
View Poll Results: Will you buy Future Seasons of Dawson's Creek?
Yes
40.00%
No, I don't even own seasons 1&2
30.00%
Only if there are more extras
0%
Only if the Picture Quality is much Higher
6.67%
Maybe
16.67%
If they put in more of the original music
6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay don't get me wrong, Dawson's Creek is and will probably always will be one of my favorite TV shows, but I cannot help but think the DVD releases are pure crap!!!

The first season set was okay... you got two commentaries and about 20 minutes worth of featurettes (not bad for a three disc set), but on the second disc there were 5 episodes squeezed on one disc and the picture quaility was bad...

Now flash forward 8 months and you get season two... after 4 months of promoting Audio Commentaries, Deleted Scenes, and Summer Diaries as extras, the extras are cut down to 2 Commentaries (season premire and finale) and thats it. On top of that Columbia squeeze not 5 but 6 episodes on two discs... Both of the discs (numbers 2 and 3) had such poor picture quality that my old VHS tapes that i recorded of cable 6 years ago with EP quality look much better.

And now Season Three has been announced with 23 episodes on 4 dics which means more of the same.

I do realize that not many fans of the show are going to fork over more than $35/40 for a season, but I do know that if Columbia would add an extra disc so no disc would have a burdone heavier that 5 episodes that alot of fans would not be turned off from buying future seasons... and the extras need a little work as well...

Well thanks for letting me vent, but I am curious as to see if people are as mad about this as me...
Old 04-19-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I voted yes simply because I've got no real complaints about the two sets already released. The extras aren't fantastic, but I think we get some stellar ones. The commentaries are the first and last episodes of the season are very entertaining, although maybe a couple more would be nice.

And honestly, things like the original music and picture doesn't bother me in regards to this show. I didn't even notice the music thing until I read about it and I watched many of these episodes when they first aired. As for the picture, yeah it's noticeable at times, but this isn't exactly a show where the picture is essential. Not for me, anyway.
Old 04-19-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Definitely yes, and I Agree with Al 100%
Old 04-20-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Well, I fall into a different category than your poll. I bought Season 1, which was WONDERFUL, and the Final Episode, which was great because of the commentary.

Any other season isn't worth it to me, unless I found them real cheap. On the other hand, I'd double-dip for season 1 again if they'd throw in more behind-the-scenes footage, cast commentaries, etc.
Old 04-20-04, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I own Seasons 1 & 2 and the Final Episode for one reason: I loved the show. Yes, it is corny, but it came on while I was in high school and I guess it is one of those "memory shows."
Anyways, I am one who his slightly annoyed by the music changes. They were songs that I remember and were songs from the time... I guess they just didn't forsee needing home video rights at the time. But, since I know this is the only way I will probably ever be able to own the show, I'll live with it. The picture quality on Season 2 does suck though...Oh well, I will continue to buy the season sets, because I like the show.