Search

Gladiator: Director's Cut

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 04:09 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gladiator: Director's Cut

Not sure if this has already been posted but I saw this on the Digital Bits:

DreamWorks is tentatively planning a multi-disc Gladiator: Director's Cut DVD for 2005, which will include Ridley Scott's longer version of the film (many of the deleted scenes on the previous DVD release will be edited back into the film, and there will be new bonus material as well).
Old 04-14-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I wonder what movie they are trying to tie this in with
Old 04-14-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Josh
Maybe nothing-Fox didn't have anything to tie the extended cut of Alien in to. Maybe they just asked Scott if he wanted to add scenes to Gladiator too.
Old 04-14-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So.. what of Scott's HASN'T had a Director's Cut yet?
Old 04-14-04, 04:28 PM

RS Director's Cuts

It sure is a good pedigree:

(In No Particular Order) Legend, Alien, Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down, Thelma & Louise(?) now Gladiator... when can we look forward to the DC edition of Someone to Watch Over Me? And are they ever going to revisit Hannibal and restore all the deleted footage from that? Maybe it'll make that movie watchable.

Maybe not.

CS
Old 04-14-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haven't they been developing a sequel to 'Gladiator'?

Maybe nothing-Fox didn't have anything to tie the extended cut of Alien in to.
Um, you're kidding right? That was released as promotion for the upcoming 'Alien' boxset which came out a month or so later, which had all new cuts on all four films.

(In No Particular Order) Legend, Alien, Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down, Thelma & Louise(?) now Gladiator...
Neither 'Black Hawk Down' nor 'Thelma and Louise' are available in any cut other than theatrical. (Unless, possibly, they were censored in other countries and then restored.)

And are they ever going to revisit Hannibal and restore all the deleted footage from that?
Funnily enough, the IMDb says: "A longer 3+ hour cut of the film was purchased by CBS for a network TV run beginning in 2003. Ridley Scott is quoted as having initially cut a 3 hour version of the film that test screened, and that this cut will be made into a two night miniseries for CBS when they screen the film in 2003."

Did that ever happen? I don't know, I hated that film and don't pay attention to it when it shows.

Of course, that's technically not (neccessarily) a "director's cut", but Scott already said in the 'Alien' liner notes that he understands that it's strictly a marketing term.

Hopefully, 'Blade Runner' can lap 'Black Rain', 'GI Jane', and all the rest, 'cause I really want to see that even newer new cut.

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 04-14-04 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-14-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't some violence get 'trimmed' to avoid an NC-17?

I recall reading that somewhere when it was released in theaters. So it would be nice to see an extended version then.

I still don't have the dvd,but since it is cheaper now. Does the new $14 release contain all the extras from the original 2-disc or has plenty of material been dropped?
Old 04-14-04, 06:05 PM

2005? That's probably going to be very close to when we'll be able to start purchasing movies in high def. Think I'll wait. I love the movie but don't think I'll be triple dipping.
Old 04-14-04, 06:09 PM
Banned

I might get it...have to wait til later to see what kinda specs and such and more details to determine whether I wanna buy it...
Old 04-14-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker
Didn't some violence get 'trimmed' to avoid an NC-17?

I recall reading that somewhere when it was released in theaters. So it would be nice to see an extended version then.

I still don't have the dvd,but since it is cheaper now. Does the new $14 release contain all the extras from the original 2-disc or has plenty of material been dropped?
Julie, the new release drops the dts track and 2 very good documentaries. it does contain the deleted scenes though.
Old 04-14-04, 06:12 PM
Banned

Anyway you look at it, a Director's Cut of Gladiator is major cool beans. After watching the deleted scenes on the original DVD, I feel that the current cut was lacking in some dynamics.

Some of the violent trimmings would have made for a much better movie. A couple clips from the North African arena battle really gave me the sense that they could gave given the film a more dramatic feel and possibly changed the way the film is viewed.
Old 04-14-04, 06:41 PM
Banned

"I wonder what movie they are trying to tie this in with"

Maybe with the rumored Gladiator 2
Old 04-14-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by dx23
"I wonder what movie they are trying to tie this in with"

Maybe with the rumored Gladiator 2
actually, i think it's a prequel. so... gladiator 0?
Old 04-14-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No its supposed to be a sequel that follows that black guy on his gladiatorial tour of europe.
Old 04-14-04, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Um, you're kidding right? That was released as promotion for the upcoming 'Alien' boxset which came out a month or so later, which had all new cuts on all four films.
I don't think tying an extended cut's release into its own home video release was really the point of Josh's rumination. I think he was wondering what new theatrical release was involved, as that is often the impetus for a DVD re-release. An extended cut and its own DVD release is a bit too circular of a connection to really be considered a tie-in.

DJ
Old 04-14-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd like to see the alternate cut of Hannibal
Old 04-14-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ABC aired this recently with some of the deleted scenes re-inserted, didn't they? I didn't get a chance to watch it, but I thought I remembered hearing that.

Off topic, slightly, but does anyone else think that Gladiator falls apart a little bit at the end? I realize what's going on, but it just doesn't really seem to flow. It could have alot to do with the loss of Oliver Reed, but I'm not sure. In a way, it's kind of like Fight Club. One of those "what might've been" films if the movie had finished the way it started.

Back on topic, I would love to get an extended release of this b/c despite was I see as "flaws" (I'm no film buff), I really enjoy this movie.
Old 04-14-04, 08:45 PM

By 2005 HD-DVD will be even closer so I will not purchase it. Besides, the current DVD has everything that I could ever want.
Old 04-14-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Not sure if i'd double dip this since the original 2 disc release was so great. If it just adds a few scenes that are included on the DVD, it's probably not worth it, despite how much i love the movie.
Old 04-14-04, 11:02 PM
Banned

Same sentiment here. I absolutely loved the movie...but at the same time...there are a lot of barebones movies out there that I'd love to see get the SE treatment first. You know...BEFORE a movie that already has a 2 disc edition.
Old 04-14-04, 11:06 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another re-release
Old 04-15-04, 12:00 AM

Maybe we'll finally see Maximus fight the rhinoceros.
Old 04-15-04, 12:12 AM

I don't really care about HD-DVD, but that's just me. I don't see a reason to re-release Gladiator.

Last edited by Gore_Hound_X; 04-15-04 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-15-04, 02:46 AM

First Gladiator
Next in line, Gladiators
Then Gladiator 3

Last but not least, Gladiator resurrection where Russell Crowe gets resurrected.
Old 04-15-04, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, a Gladiator re-release? The DVD already is packed with great bonus features and awesome sound/picture, and is easily one of my favorite DVDs. They definitely got it right the first time. However, I'd by a Gladiator Director's Cut in a heartbeat just because I enjoy the movie so much.

They will have to work hard to simply match the quality of the Signature Selection disc. Though, it is DreamWorks, and they do put out quality discs. Maybe it will be like T2 Extreme, which, though it didn't offer as many visual supplements as T2 Ultimate, still turned out to be a great disc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.