Community
Search

Shouldn't the WWE be concentrating on releasing older stars wrestling DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Shouldn't the WWE be concentrating on releasing older stars wrestling DVDs

Brock Lesnar just had a DVD come out and that make's no sense since his careeer just started afterall you don't write an autobiography on someone who had 1 or 2 good years.What about the likes of Bruno Sammartino,Pedro Morales,Bobo Brazil,Superstar Billy Graham,Andre the Giant,Roddy Piper,Chief Jay Strongbow and other's?I am more than sure that the old school raslin' fan would be interested in this along with some of the newer viewers.One other note-does anyone know If the Bret Hart DVD will contain the match with Bob Backlund where Backlund turned heel?
Old 04-11-04, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, since I don't waste my time (and money) on Wrestling videos, I could care less. But for the fans, I could see that videos on '80s and mid-'90s superstars could be interesting.

Is there one on Sting yet? From his flat-top days to his 'Crow'-look days?
Old 04-11-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think Sting ever took step into a WWE ring but they may at sometime concentrate more on the ex-WCW stars.
Old 04-11-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think they probably fear that when a superstar is gone they are soon forgotten thus the sales would be low in their eyes

This is why people like Lesnar and Cena have DVDs and Arn Anderson and Ted Dibiase don't. They are in the spotlight and fresh in the fans minds so the WWE knows it's a safe bet their DVDs will sell no matter how lacking they might be

I'm hoping that if the Bret Hart DVD sells well they will start putting out other DVDs of older superstars. I would love to see an Owen, Bulldog or Mr. Perfect DVD.
Old 04-11-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 981 Likes on 692 Posts
The bottom line is, while DVDs featuring classic stars might conceivably sell well, they don't in anyway promote the current product. DVDs featuring guys like John Cena and Brock Lesnar are intended soley as promotional investments, not exhaustive career retrospectives.

Sure they will release sets featuring older stars from time to time, but only if they help to promote the current product. The Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, Mick Foley and Hulk Hogan sets are all great, but all are (or were at the time of release) still relevant to what the WWE is doing today. Personally, I think it will be a cold day in hell when we see a Sting dvd, unless Sting unexpectedly signs with WWE.
Old 04-11-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The bottom line is, while DVDs featuring classic stars might conceivably sell well, they don't in anyway promote the current product. DVDs featuring guys like John Cena and Brock Lesnar are intended soley as promotional investments, not exhaustive career retrospectives.
EXACTLY. the dvd's are there to serve two purposes. Promote upcoming wrestlers and to make a quick buck. They want to make sure that they are promoting at all time. If the wrestler isn't in the spot light they couldn't care about it making a quick side cash because that's where the buck stops. They need something that will do both.

Much like Criterion needs the big name films every once in a while or else they will go under doing obscure films the average person hasn't heard of.
Old 04-11-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I'm guessing a lot of the target audience right now, or the kids watching wrestling a whole lot, aren't too familiar with the wrestlers of the past, so I guess they will be more in tune to buy DVDs of their favorites of the last 10 or so years. Would be cool to see some DVD about the Legion of Doom or something.
Old 04-11-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Also take into consideration that the wrestler has to be on good terms with McMahon. Wrestling is a weird business, and it seems that people who are not in McMahon's good graces are mentioned very rarely.
Old 04-11-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're crazy if you think we'll ever see a Bruno Sammartino DVD. He absolutely despises Vince and the business and unlike so many others, he's stuck to his guns all these years, most recently passing on appearing at WM XX as to not appear like a hypocrite.

While I think they should release more classic footage (and they are), you've gotta pick selectively. As many old school fans as there are, there simply wouldn't be enough of a market or connection to put out a Bruno DVD or even a Ted Dibiase DVD. With guys like Flair or Michaels, they're still connected with the business and specifically, WWE. With someone like Bret Hart, who hasn't had anything to do with WWE in several years, they still refer to him more than any other person no longer with the company and even newer fans know who he is.

I don't really agree with Cena getting his own DVD this quickly, but he's one of the new superstars that WWE is pushing, so you've gotta pull out all the stops and strike while the iron's hot (i.e. what they DIDN'T do with Jericho).
Old 04-11-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm holding out for the Duke "The Dumpster" Droese DVD...

Seriously, though...I would love to see some of the 70's and 80's wrestlers on DVD. Unfortunately, I just don't think there's that big of a market. What I'd like to see and what might be more probable is a release of a multiple-disc set that goes in-depth about the people mentioned above and shows many matches of each. I think that would sell better than individual release of each.
Old 04-11-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They should bring in some of the old-timers as managers so they can talk the talk for guys like Lesnar who is weak in that department(hopefully not another Bobby Eaton).
Old 04-11-04, 10:24 PM

I'm waiting for the Bastion Booger 4 disc LE #'d to 10,000 set!! That or Berserker set will do the trick. What was he saying when he fought somebody "Husk! Husk!" or something like that. Seriously, I think that the John Cena DVD is stupid since he's only had a little over a year in the WWE.
Old 04-11-04, 10:40 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by scottp120
Seriously, I think that the John Cena DVD is stupid since he's only had a little over a year in the WWE.
That and he is a subpar wrestler ....

A real UT dvd should be released, as well as a Rob Van Dam one with ECW matches (so that I won't have to individually buy ECW PPVs)
Old 04-11-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They need to bust out an orient express dvd, I would be all over that. But a Beverly Brothers dvd would work too.
Vince has got to get these out.
Old 04-11-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by dvd-4-life
so they can talk the talk for guys like Lesnar who is weak in that department
i dont think brock needs mic skills to tryout for the nfl
Old 04-11-04, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by antennaball
I'm holding out for the Duke "The Dumpster" Droese DVD...
LOL,That quote had me dieing ! Anyway any hope or are there any DVDS of the OLD SCHOOL events likelate80s early-mid 90s Royal Rumbles, King of the Rings, Survivor Series's I would pay money for those but none of this ''BEST OF'' BS featuring one Wrestler. Thanks.
Old 04-11-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I say give us another Flair and another Foley DVD.

As a side note, if you've ever seen the promos for the Foley DVD, notice that a lot of footage in the ad isn't even on the DVD.
Old 04-12-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pretty sure another Flair set is in the works. Don't know about Foley though.
Old 04-12-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MikeyGaGa0713
LOL,That quote had me dieing ! Anyway any hope or are there any DVDS of the OLD SCHOOL events likelate80s early-mid 90s Royal Rumbles, King of the Rings, Survivor Series's I would pay money for those but none of this ''BEST OF'' BS featuring one Wrestler. Thanks.
Here are some from R2:

The KOTR 93-94 and WM3 3-4 are also coming out.

WARNING: They cut out the entrances on WM 1 and 2 so basically matches are starting when wrestlers are in the ring. This was done on the UK VHS tapes to fit it in 2 hour tapes and also cause the DVDs are single layer (lame).

Also, Rumble 89 is missing one match - Haku vs Harley Race (I think) which may have been missing originally when silvervision released Rumble 89 back then on VHS.
Old 04-13-04, 05:55 PM

I think based on the success of the Flair set, they have to realize that those sales are not at all based on what Flair's doing in the WWE today. The people buying this set are the long time, old school fans, and I would guess a good number of them don't even watch today's WWE anymore. I think a significant market exists. That doesn't mean WWE should stop putting out DVDs of their current stars--video has always been a great promotional tool for WWE, and they need to take every step to build up today's otherwise stagnant product.

More importantly, if Vince begins to suspect that he can make money off of selling DVDs of older stars, you better believe he will do it. I think he'll take a cue from the movie studios, who've realized they can make money releasing the same film over and over again (with only marginal additions of content, if any) or just releasing catalog titles. I think it's it inevitable that the WWE will tap into their vast vault, but hopefully it will come sooner rather than later.

I think the ever-increasing number of discs their releasing is evidence of this, even though the majority of currently announced titles are focused on the current product.
Old 04-16-04, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They should. The quality of the last release (Undertaker) is pathetic. It has four or five matches and it is only roughly 60 minutes long.

Since the WWE owns all the tapes from AWA, ECW, WCW as well as there own I would like to see dvd's about Sting, Goldberg, Road Warriors and Stephanie McMahon (just kidding about Steph).

But the one DVD I would love to see one day is a series about and on the Von Erichs.
Old 04-16-04, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Class316
Here are some from R2:

WARNING: They cut out the entrances on WM 1 and 2 so basically matches are starting when wrestlers are in the ring. This was done on the UK VHS tapes to fit it in 2 hour tapes and also cause the DVDs are single layer (lame).

It has been awhile, but I am pretty sure that is the way it was on the original WWF videos as well...I don't remember any entrances from WM II at all...
Old 04-16-04, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by KnightLerxst
It has been awhile, but I am pretty sure that is the way it was on the original WWF videos as well...I don't remember any entrances from WM II at all...
Even the US versions???
Old 04-16-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The easiest way to explain why we don't see old school wrestler's DVDs, and guys like Cena & Brock get them so quickly into their careers is this...

Marketing. You want to sell what's hot and will move units.

Let's be honest, despite all the talk about being historic and having so much respect for their legends. The WWE only uses them if it'll make money. If it won't put an ass in the seat or sell a DVD or t-shirt, why bother seems to be the thought in the WWE offices.

Just look at what Jim Ross said in Beyond The Mat... "As long as there's an ass every 18 inches I'm happy."
Old 04-16-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Class316
Even the US versions???
Yup...it has been awhile since I watched the original Wrestlemania...but I can tell you for sure that the entrances on WMII were cut off except for the battle royal.

The matches just started with a cut from the previous match, to the next with a graphic overlay, or in the case of Piper/Mr T and Hogan/Bundy a brief recap of the feud, then right to the match.