Community
Search

Good DVDs to test a new player with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good DVDs to test a new player with?

I picked up a new player last night and try out some discs that have a history of not working right on all players. What discs in my collection would be good movies to test just how robust the new player is? I plan to check Monty Python and the Holy Grail for the subtitle problem since I never bothered getting the fixed disc (it worked fine on my old player). I know some Disney discs can be a real pain on some players although I'm not sure which discs give people problems since they all played fine on my old player. Anything else in my collection stand out? I want to make sure it's a good player before my 30 days are up and I'm stuck with it.
Old 03-29-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts
Check the layer change on Monsters Inc, and make sure both versions of The Abyss play through.
Old 03-29-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Try this year old thread. It lists other problems not associated with playback too.
Old 03-29-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did a fast once-over with yer library, nice collection btw, and found a few.

try the SE of Alien, from the Quadbox. I could be wrong, but I thought that the seemless branching used...caused some problems on some players. mine has an awful freeze-up on 1 player(no, not a layer change), but it's fine on another.

The Bridge Over the River Kwai, has one of the worst layer-changes ever. it's different on different players. try it just for kicks.

Sunset Blvd-although it seemed to be a rare problem, I had trouble with 3 copies before finally finding a decent one. about the time the chimp is being buried...it sometimes froze, but it was depending on the deck used.
Old 03-29-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
did a fast once-over with yer library, nice collection btw, and found a few.
Thanks.

try the SE of Alien, from the Quadbox. I could be wrong, but I thought that the seemless branching used...caused some problems on some players. mine has an awful freeze-up on 1 player(no, not a layer change), but it's fine on another.
I've never seen any of the Alien movies (yes, never) and I've been sitting on this release for months. I guess this is a great excuse to finally dig into it.

The Bridge Over the River Kwai, has one of the worst layer-changes ever. it's different on different players. try it just for kicks.
That's because it's not an RSDL disc. Normally the player starts at the center and reads to the edge and when the layer change happens it reads from the edge back to the middle for the second layer. With Kwai, it gets to the end of the first layer and the head returns back to the center to start the second layer. I don't know if all dual layer discs are RSDL but for those where there's a layer change in the middle of the movie they certainly are (unless it's a rare movie like Kwai). Still it should be an interesting test to see how quickly the new player handles this.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm not expecting any problems, but if things don't work that should, I'll have time to return it.